Main Menu

Scientology books just turned up...

Started by JTurner, 27 May, 2008, 07:25:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoD

I thought it was a little like Doctors' waiting rooms in that the librarian (like the receptionist) had some influence on the reading material available.  Explains why comics, etc. that I donate are missing (presumably binned) next time I go there.

WoD

Seriously though, is there a list of 'no way, no how' books that you can't display?  Other than illegal literature that is.

SamuelAWilkinson

All libraries are limited in space available, though, so unless you're the Bodlean (or however you spell it), putting Scientological propaganda on the shelves means less room for Tom Clancy novels*.

* Or worthwhile books. Whatever.
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

Peter Wolf

The whole belief system of the Cult i say Cult of Scientology wouldnt be any less plausable if they said they believed in Fairies as far as i am concerned.

Wot no free speech

Trying to censor the content of the internet ?

I dont know what next ?

They have a right to mail out unwelcome packages full of their books full of their infantile gobbledegook into public libraries !! so i have the right call them what i like and write what i damn well like about them.

I think thats a fair deal and if they dont think so then they can just go and piss off to Communist China and live there instead.

Libraries are not for commerce and they are not an outlet for exploititive cults so they can get free distribution either .

Get lost.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Jared Katooie

Man, I didn't know you could just send stuff to libraries.

Triangularian pamphlets and mostly-fictional biographies away!

JTurner

As with PVS, we avoid overt religious and political propaganda (from all directions), although I have to admit, our material on Fairtrade and the global dimension, etc would count as lefty commie liberal pandering.

It was ammusing that we had some newspapers trolling for controversy during LGBT history month. They demanded (under the freedom of information act) that we declare all books that were officially banned from our library (none).

We had a fun time trying to work out whether the Daily Mail would be more angry that Religious fundamentalists had forced us to withdraw picture books featuring gay characters or that we were openly putting these books into schools...

Banners

Not quite on-topic, but the Graphic Novel section in Birmingham Central Library is a disgrace. There are plenty of books (including plenty from Tooth) but they're a complete mess scattered all over the shelves in no particular order.

-harumph-

M@

opaque

If I was still working in a public library and in charge of such things I think I'd keep one copy, send the others back then see if Operation Clambake (or similar) have a book to represent the other side.
That's only fair.

Dandontdare

If you're a regular reader of Private Eye, you may be aware that the City of London Police (who govern the 'square mile') tried to prosecute a 15 year old boy for holding up a sign saying that scientology is a cult - when senior officers had been treated to thousands of pounds of hospitality by the scientologists, including invites to meet tom cruise)
Thankfully, the case was thrown out, but it worries me how much influence these nutjobs have.