Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richmond Clements

Everything, Everywhere All at Once. Now that is a movie. Absolutely incredible. Bursting with invention and ideas. Also very very funny, but with an actual heart to it. One thing that was annoying though. I am trying to write a novel at the moment and I had planned a scene where someone gets beat up with a [spoiler]dildo[/spoiler]... they beat me to it.
In summary -watch this.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 22 June, 2022, 11:53:05 AM
I had planned a scene where someone gets beat up with a [spoiler]dildo[/spoiler]... they beat me to it.

You have been watching The Boys right?

DDT did a job on me

The Legendary Shark

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness. What can I say? I'm biased. I love the MCU. Comic book stories told in motion pictures. Pure fantasy. All the thrills of comics (and then some) without all that tedious page-turning - like, who has the strength, right? The part of me that loves these films is the older version of the part of me that loved Harryhausen and Doctor Who. With that in mind, I thoroughly enjoyed this film from start to finish, all the way through to Bruce Campbell's perfect last words. Definitely one for the Multi-Play list.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Tiplodocus

Yes, I enjoyed that too. I thought it sagged in the middle. Ironically at the point that caused lots of fans to cream themselves with the cameos but any film that has a fight with musical notes is fine by me.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

pictsy

Gunpowder Milkshake

It was okay.  A kind of John Wick clone, but with women.  I think it under utilised it's characters and their inter-personal conflicts in favour for what was (at best) passable action sequences - aside from Michelle Yeoh who can and does deliver the action for the little screen time she is given.  It's got the bones for a better movie, but is serviceable as it is.

Tiplodocus

Another vote for TOP GUN: MAVERICK which is half sequel, half update and delivers top notch action, some feels and some punch the air moments.

Trailer for M:I 7 looked pretty good too. Crazy but in a good way.

pictsy

Chinatown

Oh dear.

Considering who directed this film it just ended up being really gross and made my skin crawl.

Tiplodocus

The recent PLANET OF THE APES movies are all on Disney so, having not seen the third, we've decided on a re-watch.

And my goodness we are off to a CRACKING start with RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES.

It fair rattles along, many sections dialogue free(ish) and sets up stakes and world with an efficiency you don't see often enough.

Special effects are just unbelievable for a decade old movie... only comping of baby Caesar in some shots jars slightly.

And it's brilliant the way the protagonist shifts... you start the film rooting for scientist Will but he gets (almost) sidelined as the Apes come to the fore and we cheer them over the Golden Gate bridge. Supporting cast are all great too... We need more John Lithgow.

For some reason, I like James Franco but he's not the best actor and he's outclassed by a motion capture performance here.

Very much looking forward to the next two.

Richmond Clements

QuoteRISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES.

It was my favourite movie of that year. Serkis should have won an Oscar for that role.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 05 July, 2022, 11:21:06 AM
QuoteRISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES.

It was my favourite movie of that year. Serkis should have won an Oscar for that role.

It's a really good movie. I recall actually gasping at both the audacity and the cleverness of the way in which they [spoiler]replayed the original movie's (second?) most famous line.[/spoiler]
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

wedgeski

And they kind of get better and better.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: wedgeski on 05 July, 2022, 12:27:47 PM

Yeah its kinda hard to argue with that.

Colin YNWA

French Dispatch

I seem to think it was someone here who said you could take any frame of this and know its a Wes Anderson film. That's its blessing and its curse. It seems a visual treat, the trouble is that seems to create its biggest problem.

I think ... and this is a film I will openly admit I'm not sure I'm getting - Anderson is trying do what great prose, in a magazine like The French Dispatch would have. In such writing the word paint a picture and here maaayyyybbeee Anderson is trying to do the reverse. Use the language of cinema to create the poetry of words.

The problems and twofold:

1) There's a LOT of word to back up the stories and it makes the tales feel heavy and dense. The themes of the vignettes and lost (to me at least) under the weight of it all.

2) By pushing the visuals to such extremes they feel forced and I hate to say it pretenious. They don't back up and reenforce as Anderson normally achieves rathers makes the whole thing reck of style over substance...

... my least favourite Anderson film to date... by far... mind did like the del Toro art one - that kinda reminded me of a Kurt Vonnegut book.

PsychoGoatee

I've been meaning to see that, just rewatched The Royal Tenenbaums. Classic Wes.

Saw Another Round, that Mads movie, pretty darn solid. Also the first time I've seen a movie starring him, after seeing him play so many memorable villains etc.

Beavis & Butt-Head Do the Universe is a treat too, just delightful stuff.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 05 July, 2022, 12:41:11 PM
Quote from: wedgeski on 05 July, 2022, 12:27:47 PM

Yeah its kinda hard to argue with that.

The equally awkwardly titled DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES last night and, yeah, it's another cracker. Tense and exciting from the start and barely let's up.

Sympathies still always with the apes, even as they attack the human compound you feel for them being misled rather than for the human defenders. Helm's Deep this is not.

I particularly like the way all of the characters act rationally given the information they have at any given time. Nobody does anything daft because the plot demands it.

Top notch performances all-round; again, Serkis and the other mo-cap players knock it out of the park. Great to see them in the main cast too not relegated to the special effects section of the credits.

In a film of flawless, utterly flawless special effects there are two bravura shots that stand out; a pov from the twirling turret of a careering armoured car that gives a 360 degree view of the battlefield and that final zoom in to extreme close up on Caesar. I wonder how much physical stuff they actually filmed for some bits.

Simple visual storytelling also abounds. Nobody says what happened to Will but there's a yellow plague cross painted on the house which also lets you know just how dark humanity's slide was. And the difference between how Caesar and Gary Oldman address their citizens is very telling.

My favourite things about it? The apes with their hunting paint on look scary as anything.  The subversive commentary on America's obsession with guns. Things go pretty well until the presence of a gun mucks it up whether it's Carver in the initial meeting, his hiding if a shotgun or, most importantly, Koba getting his hands on an assault rifle.

Oh and the very true and sad  "Human work. Human work. Human work" as Koba points to his ravaged body.