Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

I could point to smoking while pregnant just to get back at her husband for imagined slights, or shagging her boss regardless of what this would do to her family, but in context her initial demands for full disclosure from Walt make no sense unless you accept that she is an arsehole.  The viewer as an omniscient observer knows Walt is up top no good, but all Skylar knows within the story is that he wants some space after being diagnosed with a terminal illness.  Especially in the fourth season where the carwash subplot comes in and she is not as estranged from Walt so you can view her actions without the "she wants to spoil the fun" angle as a factor, every contribution she makes to this plot paints her as obsessively controlling and her common response to failing to win arguments or get her way is to go off in a huff.
Ultimately, she works to pull her family apart for no discernible reason other than spite, while murderous, poisonous Walt's horrible actions are to keep his family together even if he's no longer a part of it.  Walt thus elicits sympathy despite what he does, Skylar not so much.

I, Cosh

All of that sounds sort of exactly like the way some people might react in real life.
We never really die.

shaolin_monkey

I started watching the back catalogue of Arrested Development last night.  I gave up after four episodes.  It just was not funny, and every single one of the characters was incredibly irritating.

radiator

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 28 March, 2013, 12:18:46 PM
I started watching the back catalogue of Arrested Development last night.  I gave up after four episodes.  It just was not funny, and every single one of the characters was incredibly irritating.

You are dead to me.

Link Prime

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 28 March, 2013, 12:18:46 PM

(Joe Mantegna voice) "You're not a pet, and you're not a friend. You're nothing to me."

Professor Bear

I love Arrested Development, but humor is a subjective experience so it's always best to adopt a live and let live approach to discussions of it lest you turn into the equivalent of one of those moronic "female comedians are not funny" cunts.

radiator

Arrested Development is one of those shows - like Community - where there are certain lines of dialogue or recurring gags that are so intricately crafted and clever that it makes my head spin.

I don't know how anyone could find the legend that is Gob Bluth unlikable.

shaolin_monkey

So you think I should persevere with it?

radiator

To be honest if the first four eps didn't grab you it's probably just not for you - I was hooked from the pilot.

Out of interest, what other comedy series do you like?

shaolin_monkey

Oh, the usual - Red Dwarf, IT Crowd, Father Ted, That kind of stuff.  I can't think of many US comedies I enjoy, except maybe My Name is Earl, but I find that hit and miss.

Link Prime

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 28 March, 2013, 03:00:09 PM
Oh, the usual - Red Dwarf, IT Crowd, Father Ted, That kind of stuff.  I can't think of many US comedies I enjoy, except maybe My Name is Earl, but I find that hit and miss.

Nothing is funnier than US series Curb Your Enthusiasm IMO, but I completely agree with Prof a few posts back; comedy is completely subjective.

Daveycandlish

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 28 March, 2013, 01:20:44 PM
Nah, you've given it a good go - if you don't like it after four episodes you are right to give up.
I watched Plebs the other night and lasted ten minutes before I turned it off - that was enough for me!
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

ChickenStu

I don't know why, but after rewatching the original V and the inferior (but not terrible) V: The Final Battle I'm currently halfway through the 19 episode "original series" that came after those in 1985.

All I can say is "OH. FUCKING. DEAR".

I'll stick with it till the end out of sheer bloody mindedness - but there's not even a parallel dimension where this shit is good...  :(
Ma Ma's not the law... (you know the rest)

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Daveycandlish on 30 March, 2013, 07:23:00 AM
Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 28 March, 2013, 01:20:44 PM
Nah, you've given it a good go - if you don't like it after four episodes you are right to give up.

Hmm, I'm actually finding it quite addictive.  I'm up to episode 12 now.

I still don't like it though!

radiator

Why are you watching it if you don't like it?