Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I, Cosh

So it looks like I'm giving Breaking Bad a second chance. First time round I got bored halfway through the second series. I think I'm just past that point now.

It's a decent programme but I do find myself wondering what I'm missing about it that everyone seems to find so amazing. Does it suddenly get much better at some point?

And when does Skylar become a bitch? So far she's the least cuntish character in the whole show.
We never really die.

radiator

Personally I was grabbed from the very first episode, though it took friends of mine til the end of s2/beginning of s3 to get hooked. I never understood all the apparent hate towards Skyler either - I think she's a great character and actress, and fulfills a vital role in the series.

Frank

Quote from: The Cosh on 12 October, 2013, 11:35:36 PM
So it looks like I'm giving Breaking Bad a second chance. First time round I got bored halfway through the second series. I think I'm just past that point now. It's a decent programme but I do find myself wondering what I'm missing about it that everyone seems to find so amazing. Does it suddenly get much better at some point? And when does Skylar become a bitch? So far she's the least cuntish character in the whole show.

Stick with it; there's great stuff in there, alongside an awful lot of padding. Skylar isn't a bitch, but it's fairly obvious there was no character arc mapped out for her and that none of the writers can think of anything interesting for her to do - so she just ends up moaning a lot and trying to spoil the boys' fun.

Richmond Clements

QuoteI never understood all the apparent hate towards Skyler either - I think she's a great character and actress, and fulfills a vital role in the series.

I think she's a great character, but I think the hating comes from the simple fact that she's a woman in the boy's club. Marie also suffers from the same - call it what it is - misogyny.

Professor Bear

My problem with Skylar was that she smoked while pregnant just to get back at her husband's slights, which at that point were largely unconfirmed suspicions based on the fact that a recently diagnosed cancer patient wanted a bit of time to themselves - a dick move that for me cast a shadow over her actions to the very end of the show.  That she wanted to spoil "the fun" had nothing to do with my appraisal, though obviously I can't speak for others.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 12 October, 2013, 11:56:19 PM
call it what it is - misogyny.

I get the impression most of the Skyler hate is coming from the female demographic but maybe that's just the misogynist in me.

Proteus4

Quote from: Professor James T Bear on 13 October, 2013, 01:04:32 AM
My problem with Skylar was that she smoked while pregnant just to get back at her husband's slights, which at that point were largely unconfirmed suspicions based on the fact that a recently diagnosed cancer patient wanted a bit of time to themselves - a dick move that for me cast a shadow over her actions to the very end of the show.  That she wanted to spoil "the fun" had nothing to do with my appraisal, though obviously I can't speak for others.

I didn't read it like that. What I took from it was that she was under a tremendous amount of pressure and that she snapped for a short period of time.  She maybe wanted to do something that was entirely selfish because that was what Walter was doing, or she may have resented the fact that she was pregnant with his baby and maybe even resented the baby at that point. She only smoked what looked like a handful of fags and only when she was at her lowest ebb. I don't think she did it to get back at Walter, I think she did it coz she was exhausted, sad, lonely and terrified.

I found Skylar to be a strong determined and flawed character, brilliantly acted and totally tragic. The whole Skylar is a bitch thing was just awful dickheads and trolls as far as I'm concerned. 
My opinion is not to be trusted: I think Last Action Hero is AWESOME. And What Women Want.

ThryllSeekyr

So it looks like I'm giving Breaking Bad a second chance. First time round I got bored halfway through the second series. I think I'm just past that point now.

I watch this sometimes on the FX channel and wonder if he's really the dad from the well known sit-com Malcom in the Middle?

He's still very hard to take seriously if that's the case.

Hawkmumbler

Studio Trigger have a new series, Kill La Kill. Like it's sister, Gurren Lagann, its utter fucking shite that the entire internet seems to be convinced is amazing.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Proteus4 on 13 October, 2013, 04:12:12 AMI found Skylar to be a strong determined and flawed character, brilliantly acted and totally tragic. The whole Skylar is a bitch thing was just awful dickheads and trolls as far as I'm concerned.

I found Gus Fring to be a strong family man with an admirable work ethic.  Clearly those criticising him are racists.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

It's a decent programme but I do find myself wondering what I'm missing about it that everyone seems to find so amazing.

It is a really good TV Show, I just think large portions of the internet forget that's all it is, a TV show.

Also, I thought the fact that the main players were all a shower of despicable hallions was what made Breaking Bad so compelling.

I found them all very interesting, but I'll be damned  if I actually liked any of them.
You may quote me on that.

Steve Green

It's much more interesting to root for someone you don't (or didn't) particularly like.

A fair few of the characters went through points where I wanted to see them succeed more because of who they were interacting with - and having Walt cross various lines to either protect Jesse or his family kept me rooting for him until the end, even though he'd long been a monster.

It was just that there were worse monsters around him.

Proteus4

Quote from: Professor James T Bear on 13 October, 2013, 04:38:04 PM
Quote from: Proteus4 on 13 October, 2013, 04:12:12 AMI found Skylar to be a strong determined and flawed character, brilliantly acted and totally tragic. The whole Skylar is a bitch thing was just awful dickheads and trolls as far as I'm concerned.

I found Gus Fring to be a strong family man with an admirable work ethic.  Clearly those criticising him are racists.

quite right.

Joking aside, it's interesting that we have strong opinions on Skylar smoking (and a lot of people gave off about skylar for smoking at the time too) when we miss the fact that Walter is a total scumbag drug dealer who turns everything he touches to shit.  Skylar's actions were no where near as wicked as Walt's.

peace
Dave
My opinion is not to be trusted: I think Last Action Hero is AWESOME. And What Women Want.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Proteus4 on 13 October, 2013, 09:43:27 PM
Quote from: Professor James T Bear on 13 October, 2013, 04:38:04 PM

quite right.

Joking aside, it's interesting that we have strong opinions on Skylar smoking (and a lot of people gave off about skylar for smoking at the time too) when we miss the fact that Walter is a total scumbag drug dealer who turns everything he touches to shit.  Skylar's actions were no where near as wicked as Walt's.

peace
Dave

Yeah, I would sometimes find myself thinking "why are you being a bitch, Skylar?" ... and then I'd remember what a horrible bastard her husband was being to her...

JOE SOAP

You bunch of misogynists can't even spell her name right- it's Skyler.