Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daveycandlish

Quote from: Ancient Otter on 27 December, 2013, 07:02:53 PM

Is Lexx the show with loads of puppet work aliens or I am confusing it with another show?

Nah, that's Farscape surely?
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Daveycandlish on 27 December, 2013, 08:15:28 PM
Quote from: Ancient Otter on 27 December, 2013, 07:02:53 PM

Is Lexx the show with loads of puppet work aliens or I am confusing it with another show?

Nah, that's Farscape surely?

Jim Henson's company leant a hand to make that show, several in fact.
You may quote me on that.

TordelBack

Quote from: Mister Pops on 27 December, 2013, 09:10:11 PM
Jim Henson's company leant a hand to make that show, several in fact.

Waka-waka-waka! 

von Boom

Chuck.

I decided to give this a try on Netflix and I'm hooked. There's some serious geek charm to this show. I can't believe I've missed this until now. Even the missus has been sucked in.

Just finish the episode where the guys dress as Shai'Hulud for Halloween. As a Dune fan this show will always be tops with me now.

pictsy

I'm still watching Star Trek TNG.  I am on the fifth series now.  Thing picked up with pretty much back to back classic episode in series three, the jump in quality was amazing.  There is no going back to TOS, now, it'll be total pants in comparison.  Watched a number of episodes of TNG over the hols with my eldest brother and made light of the Star Fleet's need to normalise everyone and everything.

I have also started watching the Trigun anime for a job I am currently working on.  It's not at all what I was expecting.

HdE

Quote from: The Cosh on 26 December, 2013, 03:16:34 PM

I'd seen quite a bit of Lexx before, but mostly later series and late at night so going back to the start has been enlightening. The first series is made up of four 90 minute tv movie installments. This has its pros and its cons. On the plus side, each episode gets plenty of space to explore its plot in full; on the other hand, this often leads to needless, overextended scenes and annoying repetition of effects sequences.

Boiling it down to its "core concept", Lexx has a lot in common with the likes of Blake's 7 and Farscape but it seems to me that it piles in a lot more genuine science fictional elements as well as a far broader streak of black humour. Probably what distinguishes it most from other tv sci-fi, what I enjoy most about it - and is just as likely to turn others off - is the unrepentant daftness it contains.

I sat through the entire series late in 2012. Loads of fun!

I think it's one of those shows where you have to just accept the silliness of it. Even the sexual humour sort of falls into that and becomes a part of it, for me.

Whichever way you slice it, the show is certainly unique. I remember picking up the box set for cheap and expecting some stupid, trashy fun. I was surprised at how much I found myself genuinely enjoying it when watching it all end to end.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Theblazeuk

Quote from: von Boom on 07 January, 2014, 02:21:08 PM
Chuck.

I decided to give this a try on Netflix and I'm hooked. There's some serious geek charm to this show. I can't believe I've missed this until now. Even the missus has been sucked in.

Just finish the episode where the guys dress as Shai'Hulud for Halloween. As a Dune fan this show will always be tops with me now.

Got through the first two episodes on Friday - think I'll be loading it up next time I work from home too. Not least for Sarah.

Bobblehead

Quote from: pictsy on 07 January, 2014, 02:33:41 PM
I have also started watching the Trigun anime for a job I am currently working on.  It's not at all what I was expecting.

Is that good or bad? :)
I really enjoyed what ive watched of the anime so far,just waiting for my mate to buy the rest of the series so i can borrow it ;)

pictsy

Oh it's a good thing.  The series is very fun.  Although, from my cursory knowledge before having watched any episodes I really thought it was going to be more serious than it is.  I don't really need to watch more than what I have for this job, but I'm going to as I have really got into it now.

TordelBack

Just finished Season 2 of Game of Thrones.  Cor, that was a bit good.  I may have missed something while gawping open-mouthed at the magnificently disparate locations and budget-devouring battle-scenes, but do we get some sort of a reprise of the sacking of Winterfell at the start of Season 3? 'Cos while I've read the books the missus hasn't, and I don't want to be mansplaining if I don't have to.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: TordelBack on 13 January, 2014, 11:35:44 AM
but do we get some sort of a reprise of the sacking of Winterfell at the start of Season 3? 'Cos while I've read the books the missus hasn't, and I don't want to be mansplaining if I don't have to.

Not as such — I haven't quite got that far in the books, but the 'Who burned Winterfell and what the fuck is happening to Theon?' is running plot through Season 3, although the reveal is a blink-and-you'll-miss-it throwaway.

The bit of Season 3 is pretty unflinching, BTW, to the extent that I'd give some sort of gentle warning to those of a sensitive disposition...

We're about to start our pre-Season 4 re-watch of Season 3, because...

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 13 January, 2014, 11:52:18 AM...the 'Who burned Winterfell and what the fuck is happening to Theon?' is running plot through Season 3, although the reveal is a blink-and-you'll-miss-it throwaway.

Perfect, I'll keep my white male privilege to myself so.  I've greatly enjoyed watching my better half puzzling everything out and falling for the usual characters, but if I offer one more helpful gloss on proceedings I think I'll have to take the black myself.

Making a run at Season 3 later this week, and looking forward to it.

Theblazeuk

I would love to be able to sit through a TV show without having to mansplain, particular when it's such straightforward things as what just happened on TV that she missed because she can't keep off bloody facebook.

pictsy

TordelBack

Quote from: pictsy on 13 January, 2014, 12:38:56 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 13 January, 2014, 11:35:44 AM
...mansplaining...

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 13 January, 2014, 12:25:55 PM
...mansplain...

This phrase really makes me cringe.

:D  It is truly ghastly, isn't it?  I was using it in the most pejorative sense possible, honest! [/mansplain]