Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

I looked up Star Trek continues on the strength of Bear's review and he is pretty much spot on. Compared to every other fan made Star Trek I also glanced at STC was actually watchable.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Tiplodocus

And the people making it have actually gone to a lot of trouble to make it look and sound and be acted and edited like Star Trek original series episodes. Again all of the other fan things seem to be doing something that just happens to use Star Trek uniforms and spaceships.

Frank

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 01 October, 2014, 04:19:32 PM
And the people making it have actually gone to a lot of trouble to make it look and sound and be acted and edited like Star Trek original series episodes.

Right down to the way certain scenes end in a way you can tell where the add break would have been in the original transmission. That's not just because of the technical aspects of the way the scene is edited and scored, but also the way the narrative has been constructed.

Tiplodocus

Accidentally posted twice.

Satanist

Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Tiplodocus

Season 4 of Community and it seems to have become very normal. A poor halloween episode, a poor let's laugh at nerds at a convention episode and a completely devoid of luaghs "comedy Germans" episode.

radiator

Yep, season 4 of Community is the pits. Not sure if you're aware Tips, but this was the season made without the involvement of Dan Harmon, and boy it shows. Though a certain section of fans seem to think it was alright (some even try to claim it's not much worse than season 3) I tend to recommend that people just skip over it entirely - it's pretty embarrassing for all concerned and is for me just not the same show as what came before.

Season 5, while I wouldn't call it an unqualified triumph, is a vast improvement.

SmallBlueThing

I have an abiding love for the original Star Trek, and have really enjoyed James Hawley's Star Trek: New Voyages/ Phase II... but Star Trek Continues, based on the ten minutes Ive just watched, is on a whole other level. If I can find something for the kids to do this afternoon that doesn't involve me, I will be having a bit of a marathon. Cheers for the heads up. Wow.

SBT

Daveycandlish

Star Trek Continues is by far and away the best new Trek you are going to find on YouTube.

I've just bought Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased) in the NetworkDVD sale so will be having a marathon of that this weekend.
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Dandontdare

Quote from: Daveycandlish on 04 October, 2014, 11:41:39 AM
I've just bought Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased) in the NetworkDVD sale so will be having a marathon of that this weekend.

Classic original or misguided Vic'n'Bob remake?

Daveycandlish

I enjoyed the remake (mainly because of Foxy Emilia as Jeannie) but this weekend it's Mike Pratt and Ken Cope's wig all the way
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Theblazeuk

Rather enjoyed misguided Vic N Bob remake.

Colin YNWA

Just finished 'The Wire' season 3 well now that was fun. I'm not sure it was quite as good as season 2, but then Omar wasn't quite as fantastic as he was in that. It certainly had some quite phenomenal episodes that for me would rank as highly as any in the other two great TV shows (Breaking Bad and The Sopranos) episodes 9 and 12 in particular. The rest had some really wonderful moments but overall for the longest time it felt like it was peddling too many things... which I guess is why episode 12 was such a relevant, it did manage to bring everything to an end very nicely indeed, quite brilliant.

The big letdown for me was the... well events of episode 11, if you've seen it you know. While I loved the balcony conversation and all weight that carried I felt the big ending had been coming for a while and therefore lost a lot of impact. Shame.

Still this is still up there with the afore mentioned big 2 quite breath-taking telly.

HdE

I'm about halfway through the original Captain Harlock.

Oh my, it's deliciously bonkers. Continuity gaffes all over the place, big, big things in the show (like Captain Harlock being a pirate) just being the way they are 'just coz'... and some incredibly wonky, totally fantastic and implausible logic... but by god is it fun!

Much can be forgiven on grounds of the show's age. Originally airing in Japan in 1978, it still has a lot of the identifying hallmarks of anime as we know it in the west. It doesn't shy away from showing us death and conflict on different levels. And, for all the dated animation techniques, it's still a visually inventive show.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

ThryllSeekyr

Still thinking about getting the Monty Python Flying Circus....perhaps one day!