Main Menu

Judge Dredd: Mega-City One - TV show announced!

Started by Jim_Campbell, 10 May, 2017, 05:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SIP

I think what I'm finding odd on this thread is that after 5 years of paying to see Dredd whenever possible on the cinema, buying multiple copies (still ongoing.....4k and mondo copy purchased) of the film, buying the book, buying the continuation of the film in comics (multiple times), buying all available merchandise, signing up for petitions....like we have all done....the huge support that the fanbase has given the 2012 film that has all helped contribute to make this TV series a reality, what results is a lot of comment that appears to add up to "yeah, but don't make it like the 2012 film". So, change the city, change the tone, change the vehicles, change the suit, doesn't matter who plays Dredd.......really??!

I love Dredd, and I love the 2012 Dredd film. I would hope that this series is close to the 2012 film in EVERY aspect. Didnt we want the Dredd continuation? That's why we have all been shouting for this since Dredd failed financially surely?

Steve Green

Steve Green

Quote from: SIP on 12 May, 2017, 11:54:44 AM
I think what I'm finding odd on this thread is that after 5 years of paying to see Dredd whenever possible on the cinema, buying multiple copies (still ongoing.....4k and mondo copy purchased) of the film, buying the book, buying the continuation of the film in comics (multiple times), buying all available merchandise, signing up for petitions....like we have all done....the huge support that the fanbase has given the 2012 film that has all helped to make this TV series a reality, what results is a lot of comment that appears to add up to "yeah, but don't make it like the 2012 film". So, change the city, change the tone, change the vehicles, change the suit, doesn't matter who plays Dredd.......really??!

I love Dredd, and I love the 2012 Dredd film. I would hope that this series is close to the 2012 film in EVERY aspect. That's why we have all been shouting for this since Dredd failed financially surely?

That will be the film that bombed at the box office, yes?

I like 2012 Dredd, but I wouldn't say it couldn't be improved on - I have more love for the 40 years of comics than a single film.

TordelBack

Quote from: Spaceghost on 12 May, 2017, 10:54:35 AM10 seconds into a fight with a futsed up street juve and both those pads would be lying on the floor and the Judge would be strangled by their own neck chain.

I think you're forgetting the superadhesive properties of spacevelcroTM, and the combat advantages of 15 years in the toughest school on Earth.

SIP

The reason for its failure at the box office has been long debated, basically with the conclusion that it's financial failure was a travesty and not indicative of its quality. It is objectively an excellent film.

The Legendary Shark

The thing about the pads is, we're talking about the future. The pads could have the weight and flexibility of foam rubber. Now, if you think that's daft, composite metal foams capable of turning an armour-piercing bullet into dust on impact already exist. By Dredd's time, shoulder pads as lightweight as foam rubber and tougher than kevlar could easily exist, allowing for properly attired judges to exist as well.

Another thing that needs addressing is the Lawgiver - another thing that doesn't make much sense. Having ammo clips stuffed with (at least) six different types of bullet is completely impractical. This is easily sci-fi-solved, however, by having every bullet in the ammo clip of the same basic type. A mechanism in the Lawgiver itself could instantly rearrange each bullet's molecular structure into any one of (at least) six pre-programmed configurations.

As for the badge chain - yes, that's silly but looks cool.

Urban's uniform was good enough for that particular film - which I love - but it's as "not Dredd" as Stallone's uniform, just in a different way.

We can have Ezquerran judges if we want - I really hope we get them!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

Quote from: SIP on 12 May, 2017, 11:59:42 AM
The reason for its failure at the box office has been long debated, basically with the conclusion that it's financial failure was a travesty and not indicative of its quality. It is objectively an excellent film.

Something you couldn't really say about Buffy TVS or Stargate*, and those survived the transition from underperforming movie to successful TV sequeldom with few changes (flying vampires and gut parasites pretty much it..).

*Although I now see Stargate took $200m worldwide.  Blimey!  I remember it as a dud with only one nice practical creature effect and Kurt Russell to recommend it.

Richard

Everything SIP has said on this thread is spot on. I want the TV series to be stylistically as close to the 2012 film as possible (except with better vehicles, and some roads in the sky between the blocks).

I do understand why people want the eagle to be more prominent, but I recall reading that when they tried it it was too cumbersome. They want a uniform that you could fight and roll around in. If the pad was any bigger you couldn't even raise your arms above your shoulders.

Richard

People didn't see the film because they didn't know it was on. It's a marketing issue. People who have seen it like it.

TordelBack

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 12 May, 2017, 12:04:46 PMA mechanism in the Lawgiver itself could instantly rearrange each bullet's molecular structure into any one of (at least) six pre-programmed configurations.

3D printer in the handgrip.  Sure while we're at it just have the rounds teleport into the chamber as needed... I didn't see much evidence of handheld on-the-fly molecular restructuring in the movie's transit-van-heavy near-future, but maybe in the MC-1 that poster hints at...

The Legendary Shark

Just a brief electromagnetic field to rearrange the molecules in the bullet. The printer idea's a good one - but maybe for large-scale cannons. (I may have to steal that idea!)
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

CalHab

Quote from: TordelBack on 12 May, 2017, 12:11:34 PM
Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 12 May, 2017, 12:04:46 PMA mechanism in the Lawgiver itself could instantly rearrange each bullet's molecular structure into any one of (at least) six pre-programmed configurations.

3D printer in the handgrip.  Sure while we're at it just have the rounds teleport into the chamber as needed... I didn't see much evidence of handheld on-the-fly molecular restructuring in the movie's transit-van-heavy near-future, but maybe in the MC-1 that poster hints at...

Do we really need an explanation for how the Lawgiver works? The comic seems to have got by for 40 years without one. I'd rather they devoted time to character and plot.

WhizzBang

Quote from: Richard on 12 May, 2017, 12:08:29 PM
People didn't see the film because they didn't know it was on. It's a marketing issue. People who have seen it like it.
I didn't see it and I knew it was on. Being a member of this board, I am obviously a fan of Dredd but I have yet to see the 2012 film because I just don't like the 'look' of it. I understand it to be very good from everyone's opinion but it just doesn't interest me. There must be many other people less aware of Dredd than myself who would similaraly glance at it and think it is not for them.

Goaty

2012 Dredd just like the first Judge Dredd story, it will grow and improve with uniform and Mega-City One (they got to fill up all those space!)

SIP

Quote from: WhizzBang on 12 May, 2017, 12:19:37 PM
Quote from: Richard on 12 May, 2017, 12:08:29 PM
I didn't see it and I knew it was on. Being a member of this board, I am obviously a fan of Dredd but I have yet to see the 2012 film because I just don't like the 'look' of it. I understand it to be very good from everyone's opinion but it just doesn't interest me. There must be many other people less aware of Dredd than myself who would similaraly glance at it and think it is not for them.

Can't understand this at all.....it's baffling.

It's a fantastic Judge Dredd film, you are a Dredd fan. What's not to fancy??