Main Menu

Judge Dredd: Mega-City One - TV show announced!

Started by Jim_Campbell, 10 May, 2017, 05:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: sheridan on 06 August, 2018, 01:28:28 AM
Quote from: ABCwarBOT on 05 August, 2018, 07:44:14 AM
Quote from: Richard on 04 August, 2018, 02:01:31 PM
I have no problem with humour, and I agree that there should be humour. I just don't want zany wacky humour. I don't think enough people will want to watch that for the show to be a success.

I don't think anybody wants that either.   Just some subtle humour and satire every now and then.   We don't want something like that awful web cartoon recently {which name evades me}

Along the lines of Judge Death: Diary of a Superfiend...

That's the one.  I can appreciate that the makers were trying to do something good but it just turned out like some goofy comedy type thing.

Keef Monkey

I couldn't even finish that thing, think I saw a couple of episodes and walked away. Given some of the garbage I'll trudge through as a fan it must have been pretty terrible for me to not persevere!

Tiplodocus

I made it to the end of SMALLVILLE and I couldn't make it to the end of Superfiend.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

ABCwarBOT

I must admit I found it very hard to watch to the end too.   

MattJW

Bit more from Urban. He's not in but he ain't out:

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/judge_dredd/dredd-star-karl-urban-sheds-some-light-on-his-role-in-mega-city-one-spinoff-series-a163311

Still interested then, which is good. I know the show is described as an ensemble piece, but it would be pretty duff not to give Dredd a 'meaningful' role - he is the drokkin' star of the show.

ABCwarBOT

Looks like they still haven't found a tv company to make it.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: MattJW on 07 September, 2018, 12:15:34 AM
but it would be pretty duff not to give Dredd a 'meaningful' role - he is the drokkin' star of the show.

There's a reason why the series' main title is "Mega City One"...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

MattJW

'Judge Dredd: Mega City One', from what I can see. So Joe is still the main man (ought to be!).

Of course an ensemble makes sense. Stoic Dredd works well against the backdrop of other judges, perps, citizens and the city itself.

If we compare this series to M*A*S*H - Dredd should be Hawkeye!

GrudgeJohnDeed

Yeah Dredd is often at his most interesting viewed through the lens of others I think. He's also not that chatty! Maybe we'll see more of him though as the seasons (hopefully) mount up.

Richard

There's a difference between having an ensemble cast instead of one lead character, and asking the lead actor from a film to do the occasional cameo. A sensible balance would be to give Dredd as much screen time as Tyrian on Game of Thrones for example.

IndigoPrime

Or give him a threaded arc where he could feature very sporadically for earlier episodes in the season (which can all be shot at once) and then a much greater amount of screen time as it draws to a close.

GrudgeJohnDeed

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 09 September, 2018, 07:09:58 PM
Or give him a threaded arc where he could feature very sporadically for earlier episodes in the season (which can all be shot at once) and then a much greater amount of screen time as it draws to a close.

For sure, perhaps we get introduced to him in small, impactful doses as the legend everyone is intimidated by (if there's a rookie character, their run-ins with Dredd could be fun), then slowly we get to see more of him as cases become intertwined and other Judge characters that the show is focussing on work with him.

wedgeski

Did I read that article correctly, that they're still shopping the series to Netflix et al? I thought it *was* a Netflix series?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: wedgeski on 10 September, 2018, 09:21:14 AM
Did I read that article correctly, that they're still shopping the series to Netflix et al? I thought it *was* a Netflix series?

No, it's never been attached to a channel/broadcaster at this point. Some articles have mentioned Netflix, but it's never been suggested in any official comment.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.