Main Menu

New Star Trek Movie Proposed.

Started by IAMTHESYSTEM, 16 February, 2022, 09:30:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IAMTHESYSTEM

Director JJ Abrams told Paramount investors the news. The last S.T Movie was terrible, so don't expect an enormous Budget. Wobbly studio sets might make a comeback, and he hasn't got the original cast to sign on the dotted line yet. 

https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1211841-star-trek-fourth-movie?fbclid=IwAR3Ov0UobKzYOAI_PW88zLNSCyw-uNnIta1yFXOGwdBdFxiYTAg1qZVB_w4
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 16 February, 2022, 09:30:12 AM
Director JJ Abrams told Paramount investors the news. The last S.T Movie was terrible...

...But still several orders of magnitude better than the incoherent mess that was Into Darkness.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

You may quote me on that.

Richard

Star Trek Beyond was perfectly alright. But I'm not interested in another reboot. Get the same cast, or make a film about different characters.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 16 February, 2022, 09:30:12 AM
The last S.T Movie was terrible...

It performed terribly; I'm not sure that's the same thing. Critically it did very well indeed, and as Jim says was at least far superior to ...Into Darkness.
@jamesfeistdraws

Tiplodocus

Empire was reporting it was same cast.

I right enjoyed the 2009 reboot and Beyond. Into Darkness, considerably less so.

I'm up for this.

Star Trek on big screen is ideal for telling any number of great stories because people being familiar with the concept saves us from origin-story-itis; far from dead in this sauropods eyes.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Link Prime

IndigoPrime

I disliked the reboot for all manner of reasons. Aside from the three films objectively not being that great, the run lacked the courage to not tie itself to the original continuity (which it then bafflingly also hand-waved away and essentially wiped from existence). And it lacked the courage to make meaningful change. This future Earth is a relative utopia, and yet the primary crew are almost all white men. But don't worry, everyone, because there's a comms officer who is a woman and POC! So that's two boxes ticked in an efficient manner. Oh, and we'll further rebalance the cast in a sequel, making everyone happy by showing a new science officer in her pants. FFS.

(Also, having watched every episode of The Expanse, anything Star Trek is going to have to work very hard for me to give the slightest shit about it now—and I don't think it's capable.)

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 16 February, 2022, 11:28:56 AM
...it lacked the courage to make meaningful change. This future Earth is a relative utopia, and yet the primary crew are almost all white men. But don't worry, everyone, because there's a comms officer who is a woman and POC! So that's two boxes ticked in an efficient manner. Oh, and we'll further rebalance the cast in a sequel, making everyone happy by showing a new science officer in her pants. FFS.

You forgot about the asian fella*. I get your point, but I think that's just an artefact of being based on a show from the '60s. Still, they should have at least included the cat lady** or three-armed guy from the cartoon.

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 16 February, 2022, 11:28:56 AM
(Also, having watched every episode of The Expanse, anything Star Trek is going to have to work very hard for me to give the slightest shit about it now—and I don't think it's capable.)

They won't work very hard. Everything about 21st century Star Trek has symptoms of laziness born of the people in charge just not caring. JJ Abrams publically stated he doesn't even like Star Trek***. There's no thoughtfulness to any of it.
Do you know why the Vulcan nerve pinch was created? Because Spock needed to knock someone out, and they decided Spock would never stoop to anything as primitive and base as punching someone in the face****. I don't know if it was Nimoy, Roddenberry, one of the writers, or a collaborative effort, but they put thought into characterization and a punch became a pinch.

JJ Abrams makes a Star Trek Movie:

I don't know why he wants to make another one. Maybe he has a good script, but given his track record I highly doubt it. The last one didn't make much money, but I guess he knows nerds are easy marks and he's probably not allowed near Star Wars anymore.

*whose foil was replaced with a katana because asian and apparently you have to set phasers on stun, but you can bring a lethal bladed weapon too
**it would get a certain subcultures befurred bums in seats
***it was on Jon Stewarts show and I don't want to look it up/link to it because the algorithm will start filling my feed with angry rants from Dubya's administration
****outside of ponn farr horniness

The Legendary Shark

I enjoy the reboots more than bloody Discovery, which teeters on the edge of adequate.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Richard

Quoteapparently you have to set phasers on stun
No you don't, the 2009 film explicitly shows Kirk switching his phaser to kill on the Romulan ship.

Richard

Quotethe run lacked the courage to not tie itself to the original continuity (which it then bafflingly also hand-waved away and essentially wiped from existence).
That seems to me like a rather odd interpretation; surely that is exactly and explicitly not tying itself to the original continuity?!

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Mister Pops on 16 February, 2022, 12:11:42 PMYou forgot about the asian fella*
I didn't—I said mostly white men.

QuoteI get your point, but I think that's just an artefact of being based on a show from the '60s.
No, it's down to decisions made with intent. There is no reason why, in a reboot, they couldn't have gender flipped half the leads, and made some more of them not white. BSG, while flawed and not doing that with enough characters, managed some of that. It's just laziness, a lack of imagination and, probably, a fear of fanboys throwing their toys out of their prams (which also happened with BSG, because, apparently, the original Starbuck was an icon of science fiction) that leads to the status quo.

QuoteI don't know why he wants to make another one. Maybe
My guess: ££££££$$$$$$€€€€€€.

Quote from: Richard on 16 February, 2022, 02:29:07 PMThat seems to me like a rather odd interpretation; surely that is exactly and explicitly not tying itself to the original continuity?!
Not really. It tied itself to it and then discarded it, which is the worst of all worlds. Nimoy should not have been in that first film—or at least he shouldn't have played Spock. Just start afresh, without baggage.

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 16 February, 2022, 03:06:29 PM
Quote from: Mister Pops on 16 February, 2022, 12:11:42 PMYou forgot about the asian fella*
I didn't—I said mostly white men.

QuoteI get your point, but I think that's just an artefact of being based on a show from the '60s.
No, it's down to decisions made with intent. There is no reason why, in a reboot, they couldn't have gender flipped half the leads, and made some more of them not white... It's just laziness, a lack of imagination and, probably, a fear of fanboys throwing their toys out of their prams ... that leads to the status quo.

Fair enough. They might not neccessarily have had to gender flip anyone. Having given it a bit more thought, they could have included Janice Rand, but gave her a more senior role.  Flip the roles and make Christine Chapel Chief of Medicine, with Bones as Head Nurse. Make "Number One" the XO (but y'know, give her an actual name) and make Spock just the Science Ofiicer . I would not be surprised if they didn't know these characters existed though.

As much as I like Simon Pegg, a gender-flipped Scotty (Tammy O'Shanter?) couldn't be much worse than his portrayal.

But I think we can all agree that the worst of all the casting decisions was having Bones played by Carl Urban AND THEN BARELY FUCKING USING HIM!

QuoteI don't know why he wants to make another one. Maybe
My guess: ££££££$$$$$$€€€€€€.
Well yeah, like I said, nerds are an easy mark.

Quote from: Richard on 16 February, 2022, 02:27:21 PM
Quoteapparently you have to set phasers on stun
No you don't, the 2009 film explicitly shows Kirk switching his phaser to kill on the Romulan ship.

Yes, I'm aware phasers have both a stun and kill settings. My issue was that, from everything I had seen in Star Trek up to this movie, "Set phasers to stun" seemed to be the standard procedure. The Federation/Starfleet was presented with a pacifist organisation that had developed a weapon that could render an aggressor unconscious without maiming or leaving horrible scars. The kill setting was for extreme circumstances. Lethal force and unneccessary violence was frowned upon. So Starfleet officers carrying swords as a matter of course seems a bit off to me. A contemporary military officer carrying a sword would be weird. A knife? OK, but a sword? And contemporary militaries are most certainly not pacifist organisations.

Even Worf left his batleth at home.

Mostly.

Funt Solo

Quote from: Mister Pops on 16 February, 2022, 04:09:13 PM
A contemporary military officer carrying a sword would be weird.

Aha, yes! But this is THE FUTURE! Here is some irrefutable evidence in support of my case:

++ A-Z ++  coma ++