Main Menu

New Star Trek Movie Proposed.

Started by IAMTHESYSTEM, 16 February, 2022, 09:30:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I keep meaning to look into Warhammer 40,000. Is there a resource that summarises or abridges the first 39,999?
You may quote me on that.

Funt Solo

Quote from: Mister Pops on 16 February, 2022, 05:57:38 PM
I keep meaning to look into Warhammer 40,000. Is there a resource that summarises or abridges the first 39,999?

Yes, but you have to paint it yourself.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Richard

I think you're overthinking the bit with the sword, it was only done as a joke really.

Someone: "We need people with combat experience."
Sulu: "Pick me, I have loads of combat experience!"
Someone: "Great, you're in!"
Sulu: "Yay!"
(Later) Kirk: "What is your combat experience anyway?"
Sulu: "Fencing."
Sulu's eyes: "I dare you to mock me, fucker."
Kirk: "...oh, right."

That's barely a joke, and if I can't nit-pick Star Trek, what's the point of even having an internet?

Richard

IAMTHESYSTEM

Does Warhammer 40K meet Star Trek? A mighty short meeting since the Emporers finest detest Xenos and loathe tolerance. No, I assume it might be Earthbound due to costs, so setting it on Earth, a Spacestation, or even Starfleet Academy will save a pretty coin or two. With JJ Abrams in control, I'm keeping my expectations very grounded. Creative hell might await the intrepid Enterprise crew rather than exploring the galaxy. 
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

paddykafka

As someone who absolutely enjoyed the hell out of the last three Trek movies -and never understood some of the vitriol that was sent their way - I can't wait to see this new one. Maybe I'm just easily pleased?  :-\

Funt Solo

I didn't mind them, but Benedict Bandersnatch being able to teleport across the galaxy on a whim was a bit pants. I thought the first one reinventing the franchise for a nu generation was rather bold (ly going), the second one was a bit pants and the third one was just fine, but not really rocking my world.

All three much better than Quantum Trek or anything that's come after it, series-wise.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

wedgeski

Quote from: paddykafka on 17 February, 2022, 03:31:31 PM
As someone who absolutely enjoyed the hell out of the last three Trek movies -and never understood some of the vitriol that was sent their way - I can't wait to see this new one. Maybe I'm just easily pleased?  :-\
You're not alone! They have a lot going for them. I was gobsmacked by the first of the three reboot movies, absolutely floored. The casting was perfect, the designs eye-popping, the action visceral. The shine has rubbed off a little over time, but I've watched it several times since then.

Quantum Trek was OK. A bit uneven and I don't think a prequel series was a great idea, but it gets bonus points for its bold choice of a Christian rock theme tune.

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 16 February, 2022, 01:21:07 PM

I enjoy the reboots more than bloody Discovery, which teeters on the edge of adequate.

I doubt anyone who enjoys Star Trek is involved in that show. If there is, they're fans who think season one of Next Gen and DS9 were the best, or that Wesley Crusher and Neelix were inspirational. Maybe they hired a Trek advisor who's a bigger fraud than the indigenous American consultant they hired to flesh out Chakotay.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Mister Pops on 20 February, 2022, 11:22:25 PMI doubt anyone who enjoys Star Trek is involved in that show.

Wow. You gate-keeping fuckers can piss right off. I really quite like Discovery — if it doesn't tally with your notion of the One True Trek™ then, y'know, just don't watch it.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 20 February, 2022, 11:38:54 PM
Quote from: Mister Pops on 20 February, 2022, 11:22:25 PMI doubt anyone who enjoys Star Trek is involved in that show.

Wow. You gate-keeping fuckers can piss right off. I really quite like Discovery — if it doesn't tally with your notion of the One True Trek™ then, y'know, just don't watch it.

If you enjoy it, don't let me stop you. I have stopped watching, but I suspect if it was still on Netflix, I would be persisting through morbid curiosity.

I don't have a notion of One True TrekTM. However both Abrams and Kurtzmann have both stated in televised interviews* that they don't like Star Trek. It's "too philosophical" for them apparently. I have a problem with that. Just like I would have a problem with some randomer taking over Dredd even though they thought it was "too satirical" and then made him a big stupid selfish crybaby.

I try not to be a dick about things I don't like, but modern Star Trek just seems to trigger me.

*See previous comments about it being on John Stewarts show  and not wanting to search/link to it to avoid the algorithm inundating me with anti-Dubya era rants

The Legendary Shark

Yeah, what Pops said.

Just because I find Discovery disappointing, that doesn't mean I think everyone else should, too. (Indeed, my favourite Trek iteration used to be Enterprise, which isn't a popular choice amongst fans, but I didn't cry because nobody else thought the same. My favourite Trek now (by the narrowest of margins) is Lower Decks, which seems to be made by people who do love the whole universe of the show.) It's the philosophy of it that I'm a fan of more than anything else. For example, in First Contact Picard says something like, "We no longer work for personal financial gain, these days we work to improve ourselves," and I think that's brilliant. Enterprise charts the initial journey out of a devastating global war as mankind struggles to find a better way to move forward, even finding a way to deal with the Xindi that doesn't involve just blowing the crap out of them. Discovery, to me, just says that, aside from all the incredible technology, the future will just be more of the same - and I hate that. That's what The Expanse is for - and it does a far better job of it than Discovery ever could.

"Gatekeepers" - Jesus, Jim, we like different things, expect different things. Live with it and enjoy the show.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]