Main Menu

New Star Trek Movie Proposed.

Started by IAMTHESYSTEM, 16 February, 2022, 09:30:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wedgeski

Quote from: Mister Pops on 21 February, 2022, 12:24:02 AM
I don't have a notion of One True TrekTM. However both Abrams and Kurtzmann have both stated in televised interviews* that they don't like Star Trek. It's "too philosophical" for them apparently. I have a problem with that.
"'Star Trek' is my favorite show of all time," he admitted. "But for some reason it never clicked with me until I started working on it, and then I fell in love with it."
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/blogs/movie-talk/j-j-abrams-star-trek-too-philosophical-192548775.html

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Mister Pops on 21 February, 2022, 12:24:02 AM
I try not to be a dick about things I don't like, but modern Star Trek just seems to trigger me.

Sorry. That was unnecessarily grumpy. I'd had a somewhat bruising run-in elsewhere with some real gate-keepery types and it wasn't fair to take that out on you. Apologies again.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 21 February, 2022, 11:08:18 AM
Sorry. That was unnecessarily grumpy. I'd had a somewhat bruising run-in elsewhere with some real gate-keepery types and it wasn't fair to take that out on you. Apologies again.

No need to apologize, I know the types you mean and I'm quite aware I could easily get lumped in with them. And grumpiness is a necessity when talking about things you care about. Notice how I haven't posted any snark about the gritty Fresh Prince* reboot**, because although I enjoyed it back in the day, and think Uncle Phil is one of the best role models for fathers everywhere, I don't care as much.

Quote from: wedgeski on 21 February, 2022, 09:31:02 AM
"'Star Trek' is my favorite show of all time," he admitted. "But for some reason it never clicked with me until I started working on it, and then I fell in love with it."
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/blogs/movie-talk/j-j-abrams-star-trek-too-philosophical-192548775.html

It seems like he saying he started liking it when it started paying.

Edit to clarify: I don't dislike the reboot movies or new TV shows because they have failed some sort of Trek purity test, I dislike like them because they have failed on their own merits. Shows like The Expanse, The BSG reboot and even going back to Farscape are/were better at doing the things STD and Picard are trying.

*if you're unfamiliar, I can provide a summary of the premise in rap form
**no really, Will Smith has actually done this
You may quote me on that.

Pyroxian

If they want to keep the budget down, then they should just do a remake of Star Trek IV :)

Definitely Not Mister Pops

If they were going to remake something, Star Trek has plenty of good ideas, poorly executed. Star Trek IV is not one of them. In fact, The Voyage Home is kind of the opposite; a pretty fucking daft idea executed really well. It might be my favourite. Definitely doesn't need remade.
You may quote me on that.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Mister Pops on 21 February, 2022, 11:14:03 PM
The Voyage Home is kind of the opposite; a pretty fucking daft idea executed really well. It might be my favourite. Definitely doesn't need remade.

I agree with all of this. Tremendous fun.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Legendary Shark

If there was going to be a remake or reboot, I think Voyager might work - that was the series for me that never really lived up to its potential.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]