Main Menu

Mega-City Two Rebuild

Started by Funt Solo, 23 April, 2023, 10:43:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

Just read a section of The Cursed Earth that states MC-2 is about 5000 square miles - which makes it much smaller than most of the map depictions we've seen.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

nxylas

Quote from: Credo! on 29 April, 2023, 07:53:30 PMJust read a section of The Cursed Earth that states MC-2 is about 5000 square miles - which makes it much smaller than most of the map depictions we've seen.
It's about the size of present day NYC, for comparison.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

Funt Solo

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 24 April, 2023, 10:29:04 AMKev and I had worked out quite a lot of backstory concerning the practicalities of reconstructing East Meg One in The Inspectre (now ret-conned out of continuity, sadly)...

It was interesting to notice when I was doing some re-read research for East-Meg One (post-Apocalypse) that one story (either Carroll's Black Snow or Samizdat Squad) referenced "the south crater". This ties in with the fact that (of the TADs launched by Dredd), three of them got through. We can infer that there are two or three large craters - only one of which contains the Megagrad project (and then bits of damaged city on the outskirts of the blast radii - in order that writers can tell effectively any story they like).

In my upcoming Dredd-world map, I'm including Megagrad (whether still an active project or an abandoned experiment). Also including SovSec in MC-2.

Here's my simulated TAD-strike on EM-1 (which, to tie in with other continuity, contains both Moscow and St. Petersburg), and a couple of other pics:

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

AlexF

I always like to assume that in the future, as now, people make far grander claims than match reality.
So something marketed as a 'total annihilation device' will, in practice, only be a 'partial annihilation device'...

I'm totally on board with the idea that MC2 was not completely destroyed by that TAD, just large parts of it. Probably enough city structure remaining that rebuilding is not completely pointelss?
e.g. the LA section gone, but the San Fran region still remains-ish?

Given how bad the 2T-FruT virus was back in 2100, one can imagine that half of the buildings in MC2 were still unpopulated 20 years later when Judgement Day (and presumably hordes of 2T zombies) came calling - so no need to blow up every part of the city.

You know, if we're overthinking things.  :lol:

Dash Decent

Quote from: AlexF on 06 July, 2023, 09:52:37 AMsomething marketed as a 'total annihilation device' will, in practice, only be a 'partial annihilation device'...

Misleading advertising.  30 years in the cubes, creep!
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.