Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sintec

Quote from: credo on 05 January, 2021, 09:37:34 AM
Does Savage cover the same stuff that was in volume 2 of the Rebellion trade? Just working out if I need to get this or can wait for volume 3.

Yep identical content to the 2nd Rebellion trade (also called The Guv'nor)

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: credo on 05 January, 2021, 09:37:34 AM
Does Savage cover the same stuff that was in volume 2 of the Rebellion trade? Just working out if I need to get this or can wait for volume 3.

Why would you not want all 3 volumes in matching hardcover?
@jamesfeistdraws

IndigoPrime

TBF, not everyone's obsessed with matching volumes. :D

Jade Falcon

I've picked up Ten Seconders that I'm eager to read. A good book I can finish in one sitting but I've been having sleep issues due to cold, grief and deep depression. It took me a while to finish one of Stuart McBrides thinner books.

I also don't like to start a new book till I've finished the last and here's the problem, I just can't seem to take to Lobster Random, it seems like trying to read a load of gibberish to be honest. Art is nice enough by Critchlow. That begs a question, is there a collection of Critchlows They'd books?
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

IndigoPrime

I have this one. Not sure how much if the strip it collects, mind.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Jade Falcon on 09 January, 2021, 05:00:49 PM
I also don't like to start a new book till I've finished the last and here's the problem, I just can't seem to take to Lobster Random, it seems like trying to read a load of gibberish to be honest.

Yeah... I was really exicted to finally have a complete Lob volume, and have my first chance to read it all again since my first, fondly-remembered progs. But I do have to admit that when read together it is all a bit... much. Spurrier's plots are very wordy, and arguably a bit over-written, often threatening to collapse under the weight of plan-and-counter plan. One to portion out a bit, maybe?
@jamesfeistdraws

sintec

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 09 January, 2021, 05:57:18 PM
I have this one. Not sure how much if the strip it collects, mind.

I also have that one - it's a great book (and it was dirt cheap from Forbidden Planet too which was a bonus). Think it covers all the post White Dwarf comics https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrud_the_Barbarian#Full-length_comic My copies in storage at the moment though (waiting to move to a bigger house with more bookcases) so I can't check.

I also don't like to start a new book till I've finished the last and here's the problem, I just can't seem to take to Lobster Random, it seems like trying to read a load of gibberish to be honest.

Lobster Random did feel a bit of a slog at times. Not sure why - maybe as Jimbo says it'd benefit from being spread out a bit. Maybe take a break at the end of the current story and dive into Ten Seconders. I recently started that and it's a cracking read so far (just finished the first story). Arts a little dark in places but that might just be the crappy lighting in my bedroom (can't wait to move and sort that out).

Barrington Boots

That begs a question, is there a collection of Critchlows They'd books?

I have this one knocking around somewhere:

Far from a complete collection but afaik this is the only collected volume for the old WD stuff.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Rara Avis

Have I missed any conversation about how Brexit might affect this? Will I have to pay a customs charge now for this? I see they've added more issues to this now - I hope this doesn't end up being a nightmare to manage.

By the way can anyone tell me what number Kingdom Vol. 1 is?

IndigoPrime

Rara Avis

I'm in Ireland, I hadn't even thought about this until today.

IndigoPrime

Assuming books are zero-rated in Ireland (which appears to be the case), it shouldn't make any odds. (Same also for Brits importing. There should be no charge for printed matter, so long as the package doesn't contain anything else.)

Jade Falcon

I don't have either of the Thrud books, the old White Dwarf stuff was funny as well.

Nearly finished Lobster Random, only a short bit to go and I can't say I was thrilled at all by this story, it just didn't get me.  Maybe it's just not my taste.  I prefer stuff like Savage, Rogue Trooper, Dredd/Anderson, Johnny Alpha, Nikolai Dante etc.

Lobster Random was just too strange for me, though the Critchlow art was nice.  I can't see me rereading it, but never say never, maybe my mood just isn't right for it.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

Rara Avis

Well that's a relief - thank you!

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 11 January, 2021, 07:46:59 PM
Assuming books are zero-rated in Ireland (which appears to be the case), it shouldn't make any odds. (Same also for Brits importing. There should be no charge for printed matter, so long as the package doesn't contain anything else.)

moly

Hopefully armoured gideon will be included in the extended extension now it's be realesed online