Main Menu

Deluxe 'Stainless Steel Rat' edition planned for 2021 — including limited HC

Started by IndigoPrime, 14 October, 2020, 02:15:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

New 'The Stainless Steel Rat' collection planned for 2021

When the law finally catches up with "Slippery" Jim DiGriz, the charming con-man is given a choice - join up or get sent down!

Rebellion is pleased to announce a new collection of The Stainless Steel Rat, 2000 AD's comic book adaptation of Harry Harrison's acclaimed classic pulp sci-fi novels.

Out of print for almost a decade, the new collection will include the three adaptations written by Kelvin Gosnell and illustrated by Carlos Ezquerra between 1979 and 1985, and - for the first time - will feature the colour centre spreads as they originally appeared in 2000 AD.

The gorgeous 208-page paperback collection will retail at £24.99 and hit shelves and digital on 19 August 2021.

A limited hardcover 'Deluxe Edition' will also be available to pre-order exclusively from the 2000 AD webshop in the new year.

Catch Me if You Can meets Star Wars, this landmark comic space opera series was a major hit in the early days of 2000 AD, its success helped in no small part by the extraordinary energy and humour of Ezquerra's artwork, with the Spanish artist basing DiGriz's likeness on the legendary actor James Coburn.

Originally created by Harrison in 1961, DiGriz is a guileful rogue who claims he turned to crime as a deliberate act of rebellion against the regimented and dull authoritarian society around him. Despite being an accomplished thief and master of disguise, DiGriz is caught by the ruthless elite law-enforcement agency known as the Special Corps. Discovering that all the Corps' top agents are reformed criminals, DiGriz is given a simple choice - join up or spend your life in jail!

Never quite able to suppress his urge for lawbreaking, DiGriz escapes from the Corps before meeting and falling in love with the psychotic Angelina - another master criminal, although she is a lot more murderous than the laid-back DiGriz!

The stories included in this collection:
'The Stainless Steel Rat' (2000 AD Progs 140–151, 1979-1980)
'The Stainless Steel Rat Saves the World' (2000 AD Progs 166–177, 1980)
'The Stainless Steel Rat for President' (2000 AD Progs 393–404, 1984-1985)

Dark Jimbo

Fantastic - I've never read these and missed out on the previous TPB.
@jamesfeistdraws

IndigoPrime

Also good to see Rebellion doing limited HCs for these books. HCs obviously don't generally sell well enough in the wild, but if the people who really want them can get them, that deftly deals with things.

CalHab

moly

I've already got the stainless steel rat, but this is a definite buy in hardback

Tjm86

Dear Rebellion ...

thank you, thank you, thank you, .............

Really glad to see that these are getting a limited hardback release.  I don't mind paying a premium personally for what is generally a well crafted publication.

Plus ... Harry Harrison and Carlos Ezquerra ... 'nuff said!

Max Headroom

Not familiar with this. Is the story any good? But I am tempted to pick up a copy solely for Carlos' art.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Max Headroom on 14 October, 2020, 08:59:23 PM
Not familiar with this. Is the story any good? But I am tempted to pick up a copy solely for Carlos' art.

Not a fantastic adaptation of the books if you're a Harry Harrison fan, TBH, but taken on its own terms the SSR stuff is tremendous fun with some top quality Ezquerra into the bargain.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

oshii

This turned up today.  Interior looks lovely on nice matt paper.

Not sure about the cover though.  Use's the cover from prog 171, which is fine, but leaves the 2000AD and Tornado logo on, rather than replacing with a Stainless Steel Rat one which I don't think quite works. 

Dash Decent

I looked at ordering this a couple of months ago and it was sold out.  It looks like they might have upped the print run as I can now put 85 copies in my basket if I want!

Just a heads-up for anyone else who may have tried earlier and felt they had missed out.

I agree about the 2000AD/Tornado logo.  They should have replaced it with SSR.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.