Main Menu

Blu-ray Minithread

Started by Hawkmumbler, 22 December, 2018, 06:16:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: karlos on 15 October, 2019, 09:59:33 AM
Three Films By Sammo Hung

If you like action flicks, this new BD set from Eureka is an absolute must - and the transfers are retina-meltingly gorgeous.

I really hope we get more of his 70s/80s/90s out on UK blu.

Yup, got that on order. Eastern Condors, Iron Fisted Monk AND Magnificent Butcher (aka the best unofficially Drunken Master sequel) makes this an absolute essential.

That being said, i've still not picked up the Once Upon a Time in China Trilogy, Project A Part 1 and Part 2, Meals on Wheels and Two John Woo Movies sets yet, Eureka have been doing gods own work!

karlos

Yessir, they really are.

What I wouldn't give for them to put out Spooky Encounters 1 & 2 and Pedicab Driver!

I've still got to grab their other Jackie/MA sets before they go OOP.

Keef Monkey

Always annoying when one region gets a better edition than another!

Just bought 3 From Hell (yeah I know how people feel about Rob Zombie movies, but I'm a big 1000 Corpses/Rejects fan!) and the UK version is regular blu-ray but the US version is 4K. Handily the 4K disc is region free, but there's a feature length doc on then bonus blu-ray disc, and that will be region locked.

So basically the only way for me to get the movie in 4K and the doc is to buy the UK and US versions. I've done it, but just wish that 4K disc was included in the UK release to save that hassle and expense!

Mattofthespurs

All 4k UHD discs are region free.

And we always get a blu ray with them in the UK because of the extras won't fit on the 4k disc.
It is annoying that other countries don't follow our lead in this regard.

Hawkmumbler

Half price in the Arrow sale, so basically BOGOF. The Sartana collection is luuuuush.

Greg M.

It's been a while, but I seem to remember Tomb of Ligeia being something of a standout.

Hawkmumbler

One I haven't seen, I adore House of Usher and The Raven, Corman and Price made the definitive cinematic versions of Poe's (and a not half bad Lovecraft) works.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Greg M. on 01 November, 2019, 07:16:42 PM
It's been a while, but I seem to remember Tomb of Ligeia being something of a standout.

It is a standout. I think mainly because it's the only one filmed on location.

Hawkmumbler

Some pick ups from the Fopp, Eureka and Arrow Black Friday sales...

Hawkmumbler

BLOODY HELL THIS SET IS MASSIVE!

And a bit bloody lovely too!

Rately

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 23 January, 2020, 09:30:59 PM
BLOODY HELL THIS SET IS MASSIVE!

And a bit bloody lovely too!

That is absolutely beautiful!

Keef Monkey

That's awesome! It's made me realize I've seen hardly any Godzilla films.

I also realized recently that despite identifying as a horror buff I've never seen most of the original Universal monster movies, so went looking for some on Amazon and found a boxset with a eight of them for a measly £13 (looks like it's gone up a couple of quid since I purchase). Really looking forward to getting stuck into it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Universal-Classic-Monsters-Essential-Collection/dp/B008H45YSO/ref=sr_1_2?crid=20MKZWAPT2VLE&keywords=universal+monsters+box+set&qid=1579875244&sprefix=universal+monsters+%2Caps%2C132&sr=8-2