Main Menu

Netflix recommendations

Started by JimmyNailz, 29 January, 2019, 02:53:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimmyNailz

Watched and absolutely loved British supernatural comedy-drama CRAZYHEAD on Netflix over the weekend.  Very funny but hits all the right beats when it wants to make you teary-eyed or brown-trousered.  It's only 6 x 45min episodes so won't take up too much of your time.

PUNISHER season 2 was also good, violent fun.  John Bernthal would make a good Rico vs Karl Urban's Dredd, I reckon.

Wot youz watching?

wedgeski

Lately:

Black Mirror - We've had this on the TODO list for years. Watched the first couple, got a good idea of just how bleak the whole thing was going to be, and tuned out. Don't need that in my life right now.

The Good Place - Binged this over the course of a week. Every bit as good as advertised.

Close - Sub-par action flick but Noomi Rapace is always watchable.

Punisher S2 - I loved S1 of this. Four episodes into S2, it's very good.

radiator

For Netflix original series and movies, I'd recommend:

GLOW

Fyre: The Greatest Party That Never Happened

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

Master of None

Queer Eye

Tidying Up With Marie Kondo

And those last two are suggestions from someone who usually despises reality TV.

*I will be forever thankful for this show for inspiring my girlfriend to get on board with decluttering our flat (she used to have some slightly worrying hoarder-y tendencies that I'm relieved to say are now a thing of the past)

As for other shows - I'm in the US so I'm not sure if these are available on UK Netflix, so you'll have to check, but I really liked:

Ken Burns The Vietnam War

American Crime Story: The Assassination of Gianni Versace

CNN doc series - The Sixties, Seventies, Eighties, Nineties

moly

Kingdom new South Korean series set in olden times where people are turned into monster (zombies) 6 episodes

Dandontdare

I enjoyed Crazyhead when it was on E4 - shame C4 pulled the plug.

Another vote for The Good Place - the idea is becoming a little stretched in S:3, but the first series is just perfect - AVOID SPOILERS AT ALL COSTS!

A sci-fi cartoon that I liked, but have had no response to round here (am I the only one who watched this?) is Final Space - and if you like cynical, potty-mouthed  American cartoons, there's also Big Mouth, Bojack Horseman and the genius that is Rick and Morty

Many many hours of Marvel stuff -highlights being the first series of Jessica Jones, plus series 1 & 3 of Daredevil - these things stand or fall with the quality of their villains and David Tennat's Kilgrave (the Purple Man) and Vincent D'Onofrio's Kingpin are superb

The Enigmatic Dr X

Future Man. Knowing but funny time-travel comedy adventure from the creators of Misfits.

Stan Vs Evil. Basically, the Evil Dead series if Ash was older and grumpier.

Both on Sky, actually, but both are awesome and up this board's alley.
Lock up your spoons!

Trout

I thought The Haunting of Hill House was particularly good. Clever horror that jumps between present day and flashback material, filling in background and providing twists.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Trout on 30 January, 2019, 01:34:16 AM
I thought The Haunting of Hill House was particularly good. Clever horror that jumps between present day and flashback material, filling in background and providing twists.

This and another vote for The Good Place

Rately

I'll follow up the love for The Good Place.

Wonderful cast, brilliant scripts and one of those shows that rewards you for paying attention.

The recent episode, Janet ( s ), might be the best bit of telly I've seen in quite some time.

Keef Monkey

Yes! The Good Place is my favourite thing on telly just now and at times it's been a real pick-me-up for us after a rough week. The seasons seem to fly by really quickly though!

Professor Bear

There are many wonderful things on Netflix, but for some reason I am watching Death In Paradise.  I know it's shit and I can't stop.  Send help.

Matt Groenig's Disenchantment was very enjoyable, though, and for all its faults and lack of imagination, I did like badly-dubbed German post-apocalyptic drama The Rain, and Indian crime thriller Sacred Games.
Old enough to remember being hungover and watching Diagnosis Murder and Monk, I found The Good Cop reassuringly familiar, as was the rather brief The Indian Detective (featuring The Shat as a ruddy-faced drug kingpin!).  Chilling Adventures Of Sabrina is far more enjoyable than it should be, Glow is fantastic 80s-themed sleeze & cheese, The Break With Michelle Wolf was fun while it lasted, and Ozark is good and would be much better if you had the option to skip all the bits with the boring and dreadful kids, but I found it to be a really good background watch while working.

Anime is a bit of a marmite thing but if you can bear it, you could do worse than One Punch Man or Knights of Sidonia.  I did also enjoy the Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters trilogy.  Do not watch Castlevania, it is utter fucking pish and you will only encourage them to make more.

JamesC

The accents in Death in Paradise are so awful. Especially fom Danny John Jules. They just replace all 'th' sounds with 'd' sounds, so dey all talk like dis. It's at 'Allo Allo' levels but not played for laughs.

CalHab

You get the impression that the guest actors are using it as a paid holiday.

JimmyNailz

Quote from: Professor Bear on 31 January, 2019, 04:21:42 PM
There are many wonderful things on Netflix, but for some reason I am watching Death In Paradise.  I know it's shit and I can't stop.  Send help.

Matt Groenig's Disenchantment was very enjoyable, though, and for all its faults and lack of imagination, I did like badly-dubbed German post-apocalyptic drama The Rain, and Indian crime thriller Sacred Games.
Old enough to remember being hungover and watching Diagnosis Murder and Monk, I found The Good Cop reassuringly familiar, as was the rather brief The Indian Detective (featuring The Shat as a ruddy-faced drug kingpin!).  Chilling Adventures Of Sabrina is far more enjoyable than it should be, Glow is fantastic 80s-themed sleeze & cheese, The Break With Michelle Wolf was fun while it lasted, and Ozark is good and would be much better if you had the option to skip all the bits with the boring and dreadful kids, but I found it to be a really good background watch while working.

Anime is a bit of a marmite thing but if you can bear it, you could do worse than One Punch Man or Knights of Sidonia.  I did also enjoy the Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters trilogy.  Do not watch Castlevania, it is utter fucking pish and you will only encourage them to make more.

I too am bemused by the success of Castlevania.  Last couple of episodes of season 2 were OK once some action kicked in.  Up until then it was nowt but depressed Dracula and long, boring talks in a library. 
One Punch Man is the BEST!

CalHab

Isn't it written by Warren Ellis? I was tempted to watch it just because of his involvement, but the trailer made it look a bit rubbish.