Main Menu

More Future Shocks!!

Started by Abra Cadaver, 01 March, 2008, 03:41:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abra Cadaver

Anybody else wanting more than say 5 per year?
As much as i like to read series in 2000 AD i think Tharg should throw in some more, plus i imagine it would have to look more inviting to the would-be reader if there is something in there they can start and end with in the one sitting rather than buy an issue that are all mid-end series and being kinda lost.

agree? disagree?

Cthulouis

As long as the quality is high, I would welcome such stories. The thing is, the quality is rarely high.

There have been good ones, there have even been good ones within recent memory, but they are all too often a bit poor.

Even those that are of perfectly reasonable quality often suffer from simply not being original enough. The you have to factor in the way it has to be stretched over many pages. In the old days, there were a fair few two pagers, some of them would be good to see.

Tharg's Alien Invasions were a good example of how this could work.

I also don't think they necessarily need a "Twist", they simply need to be really good, short sharp stories, nothing more, nothing less.  

And if only I had the talent, I'd be churning them out right now...

Abra Cadaver

yeah i pretty much agree with everything you've written, though i can't think of any recent shorts that have actually been what i would say poor.

Is the Megazine still judge dredd universe only?
personally i'd rather a future shock/time twister etc than some 5 page TV review thing.

ThryllSeekyr

Devons Daddy

future shocks. and there style of script are outstanding.

but quality has always been high. i like the rarity of them if it means we only get the great stuff.
its a tough call for tharg. but i feel on this level he does not let us down.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Bolt-01

Shameless, but what the hell,

If you are feeling a lack of Future Shocks in your life, then why not try FUTUREQUAKE!

Published twice a year by the nearly award winning team at FQP, FUTUREQUAKE is choc-full of twist endings, monstrous characters and amazing storytelling from the finest talents in the small press that would say yes.

Follow the link to read some of the old issues for free, but why not buy some of the newer issues to help keep the title afloat.

Issue 10, due in May this year for only £3.50.

Pimp-01

Link: http://www.futurequake.co.uk/fq/index.html" target="_blank">FutureQuake!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v71/Bolt-01/FQ%20Samples/CoverFQ10.jpg">

Mini-Bolt

Devons Daddy

disgraceful and now on my favorites browser.
i am appalled that this has been allowed to take place.

please keep me informed of such unacceptable behavior in future.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Abra Cadaver

shameless it may be, but it's also quite enlightening!

I shall definitely check this out.

Abra Cadaver

I've just looked at a few of the Future Quake "read online" stories and i've gotta say it's pretty damn impressive.

Once o've got myself a job again i shall definitely be buying them. Top job sir!

Bolt-01

We aim to please*.

*For please we mean sell enough copies to cover print costs and not keep having to pump ever larger amounts of money into the running of...

Bolt-01

Richmond Clements

Once o've got myself a job again i shall definitely be buying them. Top job sir!

I wouldn't worry about that! We'll take your money even if you don't have a job!

Ignatzmonster

Glad they are a rarity, very few deliver the thrills. Prefer the Bob Byrnes stuff, he's like a UK Jason.

pauljholden

Peter Wolf

I dont rate them myself .I just see them as Filler as too often they are like last weeks for example.

Whats to like ?

Its a shame as the concept is good and one that may be good for up and coming writers and artists to produce short 5 page stories as one offs.

There have been some good ones in the past but if last weeks example is anything to go by i dont care if i never read another.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death