Started by briantm, 22 July, 2010, 01:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M.I.

So let's create a test-game tonight?

Emperor

Quote from: M.I. on 24 July, 2010, 03:10:11 PM
So let's create a test-game tonight?

How do you do that?
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

M.I.

It's sad
http://www.quakelive.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17870

So let's simply find a game with friends on it. (using a friend-filter)

TordelBack

Ah - 'beat' is used pretty much it as it is in sailing (facing at about 45 degrees to where you want to go).  Now we're talking my language.

Emperor

Tried to join another live game, Windows pops up a message about it changing something or other (default colours?), Punk Buster pops up as requiring access to the Internet through ZoneAlarm, mt mouse won't move from the middle of the screen without some fierce fiddling and then Punk Buster boots me from the game. All this on a different computer. Looking in ZA there is a PnkBstrA.exe but also a PnkBstrB.exe. I've allowed them both so will have to wait and see what happens when I try again but if it keeps up it looks like I'll not be able to get into a live game.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Emperor

Got into a game, everything seemed to go OK and then PnkBstr booted me for "losing key packets". I'm on a PC connected through an Ethernet cable, I'd have thought that wouldn't cause problems (when I was using a wireless laptop last time).

edit: Seems it is a firewall thing, I'm loath to shut it down completely but will give it a spin later.

briantm

Do you have to use punkbuster? That doesn't install with the extension, does it? Can you disable that while playing Quake Live?

Emperor

Quote from: briantm on 25 July, 2010, 10:14:33 PM
Do you have to use punkbuster? That doesn't install with the extension, does it? Can you disable that while playing Quake Live?

Reading up on problems with PnkBstr it seems it is compulsory on servers which run it - its anti-cheating software so making it optional would seem to defeat the purpose ;)

Emperor

Turning the firewall off worked OK. I was pretty horrible in the team games and was, embarrassingly, told to "go away" so I did. Some more practice might be needed. ;)

Radbacker

frak online gaming shits me sometimes, people need to learn that its about having fun its not fucking life so get over it if someone acidently frags you, shit happens. (please not not related to this but Emperor being told to go away just made me think how these no lives behave sometimes).

CU Radbacker

Emperor

Well in their defence:

• I was awful - my accuracy was way down and I was more a liability to the team
  • I did keep pressing "next match" so some people would have been over-exposed to my terrible gameplay, I should have left and joined another game just to spread it around a  bit and not annoy any one person ;)

That said:

• I deliberately chose Clan Arena as you can't injure your team (although it is more brutal because everyone starts with full weapons, so perhaps I should try another game type).
  • I was largely there to make sure everything was working OK (which it almost is but I still lose focus when first starting a game as I get a Windows message about it not working with the standard colours or style or something which means I can not only not play the game but it is difficult to do anything) and I had got the hang of using the hot keys to change weapons (as opposed to the numbers). Plus this is a new computer so I wanted to test how that worked.
  • It isn't like the games mean anything - it is not building to something like it would if  this was in some kind of league.
  • I was working in a support role, following a better player, helping pin down opponents and lobbing grenades around.
  • I got a few frags, survived a number of rounds and we won a couple - granted this was largely due to the quality of the other players

That said I need to put in more work on moving dodging, strafejumping and generally improving my game - the sad thing is that I've played most of the Doom games (and finished most of them) and some Quake before, it looks like my FPS skills have got awfully rusty since ;)

TordelBack

I had my first go in a series of frag-limited Intermediate free-for-alls with a bunch of very polite Polish chaps, some (okay, one) of whom were actually worse than me.  In that kind if game nobody minds a lollygagging newbie they can vape to increase their kills.  I am absolutely awful at it, though - and me, completer of Quakes 1 and 2, Hexen, Dark Forces, various Dooms and Wollfensteins - but crucially all in single player campaign  mode.  Ah well.

briantm

Quote from: Emperor on 25 July, 2010, 10:22:47 PM
Quote from: briantm on 25 July, 2010, 10:14:33 PM

Reading up on problems with PnkBstr it seems it is compulsory on servers which run it - its anti-cheating software so making it optional would seem to defeat the purpose ;)

Hmmm... I dont have punkbuster installed on my computer but maybe a version of it is included in the firefox extension.