Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

X-Men Days of Future Past yesterday.

Yes its a good one.

I do find myself wondering how Xavier's future self got his [spoiler]body back[/spoiler] considering [spoiler]the ending of X3. Cloning? Or is he just manipulating peoples minds to appear the same, but then why the chair?
I'm thinking they're just ignoring that disintegration scene in X3. Heh.[/spoiler]

Also I wonder how Wolverine [spoiler]got his adamntium claws back in the future[/spoiler] considering the end of [spoiler]The Wolverine where he had his claws cut off by the Silver Samurai. They grew back... but were obviously his original bone claws. Mind you, much as I like that film I thought the idea of cutting something indestructible by adding a heating element to a sword rather silly.

I guess it doesn't really need explaining. He only needed to dip the claws into some more molten Adamantium.[/spoiler]

Also I'm not clear as to why [spoiler]Mystique's DNA would help make the sentinels adaptable. I understand it's to do with shape-shifting but I'd think the mechanism would be implemented differently. Unless the future sentinels were biomechanical in nature.

And the original mechanical sentinels are beyond our technology let alone the seventies but I think the experiments on other mutants might have gone some way to explain that. And they looked cool.... To be fair the movie X-verse always came across technologically more advanced than our own when considering Cerebro, etc.[/spoiler]

I'm picking this apart, but I really did enjoy it.

Anyone else stick to the end? Hee hee. [spoiler]He looked very different to his comic counterpart but considering the pyramids and the four horsemen on the horizon... I think its clear who the next villain may be.[/spoiler]

Theblazeuk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSkn3KYwmtc&feature=kp

Explains things! Suppose they never really thought they'd get another X movie then (after X-Men 3 itself).

Hoagy

A Perverts Guide to Ideology.

The fact that what he has to say and knows what he's talking about, is still very difficult for him to say makes me feel happier I've not ever been able to articulate those same thoughts but had them and someone like him thinks those things also. I really hope the pervert token is his understanding of a distance of irony!
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Frank

Quote from: Hoagy on 27 May, 2014, 03:11:23 AM
A Perverts Guide to Ideology.

The fact that what he has to say and knows what he's talking about, is still very difficult for him to say makes me feel happier I've not ever been able to articulate those same thoughts but had them and someone like him thinks those things also. I really hope the pervert token is his understanding of a distance of irony!

Anyone who can quote from They Live AND The Sound Of Music and Titanic to illustrate the role played by ideology in the production of conformity is a rare treasure.

CrazyFoxMachine

Son of Rambow

Brimming with boundless enthusiasm and brilliantly weighted. It's got a sort of wonky charm and the two leads are fantastically magnetic. Will Poulter is king. Hammer & Tongs we forgive you for the imaginative but thematically botched HGTG - REFORM AND MAKE ANOTHER FILM YOU BASTARDS.

radiator

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 26 May, 2014, 08:20:19 PM

Explains things! Suppose they never really thought they'd get another X movie then (after X-Men 3 itself).

As I understand it, X Men 3 was at the time one of the most expensive movies ever made - not only because of all the visual effects, but because of the cast's vastly inflated salaries. It's a huge ensemble with multiple academy award winners remember, many of whom were much bigger stars by film 3. As the original X Men was a relatively cheap film that wasn't expected to do particularly well, it's possible that the cast weren't tied to multi-film deals as is common practice now, giving them a lot more negotiating power.

Current thinking at the time was that a fourth X Men film would be prohibitively expensive to make, hence the cavalier attitude to killing characters off and the shift to making (cheaper) X Men Origin movies instead (the second of which was intended to be based on Magneto and which eventually became First Class).

Theblazeuk

According to Mr Stewart on the 5Live film show, he was not tied to multi-film deals back with the first one. Implied that they were from X2 to X3 though.

Should hire someone cheaper for Storm, Halle Berry isn't the only black woman in film and it's not like she really made her mark with the character unlike Jackman, Stewart of McKellen (and I would say McAvoy and Fassbender too).

Recrewt

Quote from: Mardroid on 26 May, 2014, 11:45:27 AM
Also I wonder how Wolverine [spoiler]got his adamntium claws back in the future[/spoiler] considering the end of [spoiler]The Wolverine where he had his claws cut off by the Silver Samurai. They grew back... but were obviously his original bone claws. Mind you, much as I like that film I thought the idea of cutting something indestructible by adding a heating element to a sword rather silly.

I guess it doesn't really need explaining. He only needed to dip the claws into some more molten Adamantium.[/spoiler]

I think this is part due to them cherry picking different elements from the comics and part due to them wanting to do something 'cool' on screen.

[spoiler]In the comics, the Silver Samurai was a mutant who could use his powers to charge his sword.  He still couldn't cut through adamantium although he did at one stage have the muramasa sword which could damage Wolverine.

Movie Silver Samurai does not appear to be a mutant, has an adamantium suit and sword which is heated.  Strictly speaking, adamantium can't cut through adamantium (although in the comics there are several versions to get around this) and I really can't see what help heating it up would do.

In the comics there was also a time where Wolverine lost all his adamantium (thanks to Magneto) but it was eventually replaced.  I do always smirk at how rare and expensive adamantium is and yet how so much of the marvel universe is made of it!

TLDR: Samurai's sword should have been made of Vibranium.[/spoiler]

Theblazeuk

X-Men continuity has been screwed in the comics since the 90s at least (and only got furthermore following Grant Morrison's New X-Men).

Just go with it! Comics everybody. I don't really see Xmen 1,2,3 taking place after First Class after all. I'm all for joining it up only loosely so that we can have this kind of time travel shenanigans.

Professor Bear

King Kong Escapes - Doctor Who builds a giant robot ape to mine the North Pole for Element X, which is like atomic bombs only better, but it's so good that the giant robot's circuits melt, so Doctor Who hypnotises King Kong and gets him to dig up Element X instead.  After that it gets a bit silly.
Blokes representing a multinational agency working towards "the betterment of mankind" take their job a bit too literally and treat the lady who works with them like shit, as though she's clearly a doctor in the military, they keep calling her "nurse" and laughing at her silly notions of being useful, though to make up for this, they also save her from danger all the time when she folds and starts screaming at lizards.  The ape make-up is laughable and the fights doubly so, but Who is a decent panto-level villain and MechaniKong is a brilliantly stupid creation, while Godzilla composer Akira Ifukube contributes a solidly bombastic score to accompany the giant monster brawls.  Not the greatest Toku movie ever as it drags far too much between the spartan fights, but it's harmlessly daft, the dated sexual and racial politics being the only thing truly objectionable about it.

Link Prime

Eliot Loudermilk: Code Nine!

Yeah, it's tinsel-towns worst kept secret that 80's comedy voice Bobcat Goldthwait is an amazing filmmaker.
'Worlds Greatest Dad' and 'God Bless America' got my attention, and when I heard he was planning a horror, I made that silent internal pact- I'll bloody well watch that.

Finally got round to it on DVD tonight, my last movie watched; Willow Creek.
In a nutshell: a 'found footage' horror about a young couple who go out to the woods looking for Bigfoot / Sasquatch.

It gets right what so many films in a similar vein get wrong.

Firstly; a believable, flawed and actually likeable couple, portrayed competently by two decent actors.

Secondly; realism. Apart from the fact I'd probably never venture into the wilderness without a GPS / compass / satellite phone / gun like our plucky protagonists, everything else in this tale rings true. Reactions, from minute facial expressions to cold-water common sense (get the f-ck outta dodge as soon as things get weird) play out as if it was you. I have on occasion woken up in the middle of the night after hearing a strange noise and stayed awake for at least 30 minutes straining to determine what it could have been / can I hear again. If you've ever been in that situation, the film will unnerve.
Locations are authentic too.

Thirdly; Horror. It's an almost perfect Fibonacci Sequence of introduction / light-hearted banter / foreboding / oh shit / heart-stopping. I was particularly impressed with the ending (though not at first). Initially it had me scratching my head like a wild ape-man trying to figure out Comixology's improved purchase system. A bit of a rewind & pausing added to the confusion. Then I started Googling Sasquatch lore- and it all fell into place like a perfect, horrific, jigsaw.

I know the film will lose it's power on a re-watch, but I think it derives one- now that my ears know exactly what it is that they're straining to hear.

Recommended viewing; 9/10.

Professor Bear

Check out Goldthwaite's Shakes The Clown, a noir whodunnit about an alcoholic, drug-taking, manic-depressive clown so consumed with self-loathing that when he finds himself stitched up for a murder and has to get his shit together, he instead hits absolute rock bottom and keeps going, eventually becoming a mime - the lowest form of clown life.  It's Goldthwaite's own Day the Clown Cried.

Link Prime

Quote from: Professor Bear on 29 May, 2014, 12:19:10 AM
Check out Goldthwaite's Shakes The Clown, a noir whodunnit about an alcoholic, drug-taking, manic-depressive clown so consumed with self-loathing that when he finds himself stitched up for a murder and has to get his shit together, he instead hits absolute rock bottom and keeps going, eventually becoming a mime - the lowest form of clown life.  It's Goldthwaite's own Day the Clown Cried.

Never heard of it Prof, but sold.

Mardroid

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 26 May, 2014, 08:20:19 PM

I remember that.[spoiler] But it does raise the question as to why they looked the same.

I just found out (or rather: I was reminded) the comatose man was meaznt to be  Xavier's identical twin (avoiding to the X3 commentary, anyway) so I guess that explains why he looks the same....

It doesn't explain why he's back in a wheel chair though... Twice in two lifetimes..... What a bummer.[/spoiler]

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I predicted their get-out-of jail card would be something along the lines of Professor X [spoiler]used his brain voodoo to fool Jean and Logan into thinking he had been disintergrated, but really he was alive the whole time, hidden by aforementioned brain voodoo. He then let everyone weep and mourn anyway, because that's the kind of asshole he is. Then he'd return, all "Thanks for saying all that nice stuff about me at my funeral! I know how badly some of you took it, but that's all OK now! "[/spoiler] I'm pretty sure he did that in the comic at least once.
You may quote me on that.