Main Menu

Recent posts

Film & TV / Re: New Doctor Who series
Last post by Steve Green - 13 May, 2024, 07:08:57 PM
I suppose all of these IPs run out of steam, or need a break.

Post-enterprise, Trek on TV was gone until Discovery

Star Wars doesn't seem to know what to do with itself and there's that post-Endgame exhaustion on the Marvel side.

Whether a RTD 2005-style reboot is going to work twice, or things have changed too much, who knows?

Likewise, best of luck to them
Announcements / Re: 2000 AD - The Ultimate Col...
Last post by Max Headroom - 13 May, 2024, 06:54:22 PM
Hoping that 'Aquila' and 'Proteus Vex' have enough material for them to be finished in the Ultimate Collection before it ends. That would be perfect!
Last post by Funt Solo - 13 May, 2024, 06:49:12 PM
What I think of as New Who is now over two decades old. There was a big US audience - my teaching demographic (high schoolers) knew all the lore. Now if I mention Doctor Who, I get "huh?"

Anyway - best of luck to the show. It's not been my cup of tea for an age. The last time I was really into watching, it was "unlimited rice pudding".
Last post by Steve Green - 13 May, 2024, 06:47:17 PM
Their seasons vary, Willow was 8 episodes, so it could be another 8 - or it could be up to 12...
Books & Comics / Re: Whats everyone reading?
Last post by Rara Avis - 13 May, 2024, 06:24:46 PM
My favourite King anecdote:

Stephen King has already made so many lasting contributions to popular culture, but he casually tossed off another all-timer in Rolling Stone this year when the interviewer asked him if there was any truth to the rumour he loved Lou Bega's Mambo No.5.

King's response?

"Oh, yeah. Big time. My wife threatened to divorce me. I played that a lot. I had the dance mix. I loved those extended play things, and I played both sides of it. And one of them was just total instrumental. And I played that thing until my wife just said, 'One more time, and I'm going to fucking leave you.'"
Last post by nxylas - 13 May, 2024, 06:14:42 PM
Quote from: Steve Green on 13 May, 2024, 06:05:43 PMI don't know what deal Disney have with Who, but they were pretty brutal with Willow
Two seasons minimum, I believe.
Last post by Steve Green - 13 May, 2024, 06:05:43 PM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 13 May, 2024, 04:35:57 PM
Quote from: judgeurko on 13 May, 2024, 03:55:41 PMYep but it is far worse than most other overnight figures for the show.

But... as pointed out already, the target audience for the show has clearly changed to a much younger demographic who are unlikely to watch broadcast TV. I'm not saying the numbers will be great whenever they finally get tallied up, just that if they've lost [X] million older viewers from the live broadcast but gained [X+1] million younger ones on platforms that don't register in the overnights, then we can't infer much from the overnights, other than fewer people watched the show 'live'.

This is the first one where they've premiered on streaming isn't it? If so, you've got that factor too - some staying up until midnight and not bothering with the Saturday evening live broadcast.

I've no idea what overseas will make of it - maybe here there will be a bump here for the Moffatt written episode.

I guess we'll only know way down the line - it's only an 8 episode series after all.

I don't know what deal Disney have with Who, but they were pretty brutal with Willow
Prog / Re: Prog 2382: Beware Iron Tee...
Last post by Richard - 13 May, 2024, 05:42:35 PM

QuoteWho is it?  What do they want?  Why have they got it in for the Intestinauts?  How does this link with the incident in the lab?
Given how multi-episode stories usually work, aren't these questions which we will find out the answers to in the next episodes? Would it really be easier to follow if we were told the answers before this character showed up?
Prog / Re: Prog 2382: Beware Iron Tee...
Last post by Freddychopper - 13 May, 2024, 05:27:16 PM
Strong looking Prog. Only read Dredd quickly as it dropped through the letter box (before work!). Awesome wraparound cover and Iron Teeth is off to an intriguing start. Love Percival's cinematic, moody art and that grisly last page: Doesn't look safe for those children. Cup of tea and will read the rest!
Games / Re: Gamebooks
Last post by Barrington Boots - 13 May, 2024, 05:25:58 PM
I've now wrapped up Black Vein Prophecy. No writeup on this one, as I went through it quite a few times and didn't especially enjoy it.

The book is very ambitious: it begins with you awakening in a sarcophogus with no memory and no statistics - you roll these up during the book itself - and quickly disgorges you into a ruined city and a surreal experience full of nonsensical creatures and odd happenings. After dealing with a talking horse and catapulting yourself into the sea where you fight a man trapped in a giant zorb ball the book settles down a bit, but remains incredibly strange thoughout.

I went round and round in circles for ages in this book - there are a lot of instadeaths and false paths, and choices at many times seem very arbitrary, meaning you can easily die or get derailed - until, reaching my wits end, I looked online and discovered that to succeed you need to FAIL the very first luck check in the book. That's not cool. Even if you do pass that the almost-final battle involves selecting from a list of magical powers in the correct order with no hints as to what to use where.

It's a shame as the story itself is quite clever at its heart - once you've got to the end, a lot of it makes more sense and there's a very good bit at the end where you can help yourself (I won't spoil that, just in case). I don't think the writing helps though: stuff isn't spoon-fed to you (for example, a character who is your friend can later kill you because you've killed a friend of theirs, but you need to be paying attention to work that out otherwise it seems very random) but mainly the text is quite terse and when combined with the obfuscating nature of the plot it can initially read like a lot of surreal unconnected encounters. There's not enough description to carry the atmosphere of what is a sort of wizardly Creature of Havoc, and whilst I had a better feel for the story by the time I'd read it several times, by then I was a bit sick of the book. The fights, at least, are easy.
There's also a bit where you're asked if you have an item but it's described a bit differently, which tripped me up first time.

Terry Oakes does the art, which is cool throughout: mainly of humans and has a bit of a Japanese feel to it with the costumes and the like.

Bit of a disappointment after a few really good titles.