Main Menu

Blade Runner 2

Started by Goaty, 27 February, 2015, 09:53:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spikes

Goaty

Jim_Campbell

I'd forgotten this movie had its own thread...! The teaser looks great, and Arrival has made me quietly hopeful that Villeneuve can deliver something as challenging and contemplative as the original, although perhaps with enough action so that the film actually makes some money...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

von Boom

I hope this one does well. Arrival was great and if this is as good, then maybe Villeneuve could give us a half-way decent rendition of Dune.

Spikes

Now that is one tasty teaser. Nowt I didn't like about that.

dweezil2

Oh, yeah! I like that!

Lovely Vangelis inflected score for the trailer too-hope that's the sound of things to come!  :)
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

IAMTHESYSTEM

Doesn't give much away thankfully but the images sure had that Bladerunner vibe about them so fingers crossed for this one.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

IndigoPrime

Looks good from that, despite my internal voice screaming that there will never be a sequel. It'll be interesting how it feels, and whether – for that matter – it needs to feel like the original. Blade Runner was a noir, which tends to confuse people expecting a high-octane action thriller. I hope the sequel doesn't overdo the pace and make for a frenetic and mad two hours. I also hope there's some vagueness left about everything. Scott's insistence Deckard was a Replicant always sat badly with me anyway. The point of the original short as I read it was that the Replicants were more human than the humans by this point, and people like Deckard had lost their humanity. Providing a sense of ambiguity and unexplainable weirdness into Blade Runner is pleasing, but when Scott keeps yelling DECKARD IS A REPLICANT, I'm not so interested any more.

Mardroid

It's okay. It's only Ridley Scott's opinion.

I like the fact Ridley Scott introduced the unicorn dream to suggest Deckard is a replicant, but I like the fact it was left ambiguous and could be argued either way.

In the end though, even whenh the director himself states something definitively, I wouldn't take that as concrete unless it is proven on screen. And it really isn't in this case, although it is strongly implied.

SIP

I can't see how its ambiguous really......doesn't the directors cut show that the other blade runner knows that deckard dreams about unicorns, implying that the memories/dreams that deckard has are implants?

Mardroid

Quote from: SIP on 20 December, 2016, 10:18:08 PM
I can't see how its ambiguous really......doesn't the directors cut show that the other blade runner knows that deckard dreams about unicorns, implying that the memories/dreams that deckard has are implants?

You can read it that way, sure.

[spoiler]We don't know for sure that Gaff knew Deckard's dream. We just know that he left an origami unicorn on the floor outside Deckard's apartment. There's a strong implication there that he knows, since he chose that animal, but it could be a coincidence. Maybe he had even left that particular figure behind before for Deckard's benefit and Deckard's subconscious latched onto it causing the dream.

I'm not saying I believe that. I just meant there is no definitive proof, so I think it's still subject to interpretation.[/spoiler]

SIP

I follow your point that there is still wriggle room to argue that he might not be a replicant, but surely from a directorial/narrative point of view the only real reason to include the unicorn dream and subsequent unicorn  origami scene is to signpost the fact that they do know deckards thoughts, ie  that he is a replicant?

The Legendary Shark

Or maybe that Gaff (an earlier model?) and Deckard share the same memory implant.

The Tyrell slogan "more human than human" has me wondering whether replicants aren't just developing emotions but superior emotions - hence killer Batty's ultimate show of mercy.

Or maybe I'm full of sh*t.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JOE SOAP

I don't know whether Ridley Scott thinks Deckard being a Replicant is a deep/clever plot twist or not - it isn't - but if you choose to favour a different cut like the Theatrical or Workprint - best version -  it certainly isn't set-in-stone. The screenwriter never saw it that way nor did the author of the novel.

SIP

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 21 December, 2016, 12:51:34 AM

I don't know whether Ridley Scott thinks Deckard being a Replicant is a deep/clever plot twist or not - it isn't - but if you choose to favour a different cut like the Theatrical or Workprint - best version -  it certainly isn't set-in-stone. The screenwriter never saw it that way nor did the author of the novel.

If you disregard the directors cut then the unicorn dream disappears and the origami at the end only serves to show that gaff had beaten him to the apartment but had taken no action. Therefore there is no inference that deckard is a replicant. But the directors cut is apparently what Scott really envisioned and so I would have to lean towards that as the "real" version of the film.

I'm not sure you can compare back to the original Dick story as the film has almost no resemblance to it.