Main Menu

That Stronitum Dog T.V. Thing

Started by Buddy, 23 April, 2002, 12:36:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddy

Can anyone shine any light on what happened to the Strontium Dog TV movie - I remember all the hoha about the set up of FFTV years ago, and even seen as few Esquerra production designs, but nothing came of it. In fact what ever happened to FFTV.

I also heard that they were looking at DREDGER from ACTION COMIC to convert into a movie/tv thing...anything there....

By the way Paul McGann would be great as Johnny Alpha

Wood

I was at a Q&A session given by Andy Diggle and a bunch of droids at comics 2001, and the impression they gave when this was brought up was that the script they had was crap.

Leigh S

IIRC, Andy said the script had Alpha moping around for an hour, without drawing his variable cartridge blaster in anger once!  He therefore made sure the scripts were rejected as unsuitable (which by the sound of it, they were!)

Wood

Aha! This means you were there too.

I remember now.

Did Diggle not also say that the script was written by a 'famous cyberpunk author' or something?

paulvonscott

Erm... not sure about McGann as Alpha, hasn't he sold that DR Who wig of his?  

Robert Powell would have been good about fifteen years ago. He had quite an intense look about him.

O Lucky Stevie!

>Did Diggle not also say that the script was written by a 'famous cyberpunk author' or something?

yep, john shirley, who caused quite a stir with his novel 'eclipse', an excerpt from which appears in bruce sterling's essential anthology of the movement 'mirrorshades' (& in my opinion is the weakest thing in the book, which is unsurprising considering that he's joined by the likes of pat cadigan, rudy rucker & sterling himself on the contents page. these aren't just great cyberpunk writers, these are great writers period).

oddly enough, shirley has recently returned to publishing sf... the screenplay writing game didn't turn out for him, perhaps?

oh, & cyberpunk isn't a genre, it was a necessary evolutionary step that sf went through during the 1980s. see sterling's magnificent introduction to this volume for more details.

let's face, we don't still refer to michael moorcock or jg ballard as new wave writers, do we?

i've wet my knickers!
steven l'enfant terrible
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Tu-plang

The Kreeler Conspiracy was based on one of Wagner's proposed film scripts, by the way.  I reckon that would have worked.

O Lucky Stevie!

>Robert Powell would have been good about fifteen years ago. He had quite an intense look about him.

if we're casting actors from days gone by, how about warren oates as johnny alpha?

i've wet my knickers!
steven l'enfant terrible
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

paulvonscott

Sorry, I'm abysmal at matching up names and faces, who was he?

Oh and how about that bloke from the Krankies who played the big brother.