Main Menu

The Hive-Mind has spoken

Started by The Enigmatic Dr X, 11 December, 2005, 06:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Kon

SamuelAWilkinson

You're still wrong, Fate: it's a hat. But I'm not going to accept arguments for hattitude which make use of illogical premises. 'Cause I'm bonkers like that.
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

Thursday

But isn't a cap just a subspecies of hat?

Funt Solo

Next you'll be saying that a balaclava is a hat, when it's clearly a helmet.
An angry nineties throwback who needs to get a room ... at a lesbian gymkhana.

Thursday

I reckon the Fez is actually the larval stage of the classic witch's hat.  Just extend it up to a point, grow a brim and darken the pigmentation, et voila.

Puts be-fezzed monkeys in a new light, especially if they're flying monkeys...

El Spurioso

May I just say, despite the inherent hypocrisy (having been guilty in the past of whingeing about excessive off-topic frippery), that this is possibly the Best Thing Evah.  Thank you.

Now, moving on, whilst the "fez=hat?" debate rages on (my view: of course it bleeding well is), could someone assemble a list of Millinery-Based-Monkeys that have appeared in 2000AD since the challenge was laid-down, so that if/when a consensus is reached the winner can be easily identified?

I believe there have been potential candidates in Red Seas, Slaine, Judge Dredd and Lobster Random.  Where else?

Oddboy

A fez is almost certainly a hat.

However - there is nothing special about a monkey in a fez. That's like getting excited about seeing a man in shoes or a goth in Camden.

Now a monkey wearing a hat, other then a fez, is truely something beautiful to behold! Yea!http://www.2000adonline.com/images/artwork/2beccy.jpg">
Better set your phaser to stun.

Funt Solo

I can't believe I actually found the time to start investigating this, but a Fez is actually quite difficult to categorise, and various dictionaries and encyclopedia have differing views on whether it is a hat or a cap.  It really is controversial.

A cap should have a low crown and no brim, or only a peak.  It's not a hat.

A hat should have a high crown, and usually a brim.  It's not a cap.

A Fez has a high crown but no brim.  Therefore, it remains difficult to categorise.

Does anyone know a Professor of Headgear that we can ask for a definitive ruling?
An angry nineties throwback who needs to get a room ... at a lesbian gymkhana.