Main Menu

Pan African Judges

Started by Cray, 10 October, 2011, 05:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cray

I just found out about the Pan african judges (I know waaay behind  :-[)  I was looking at ebay to purchase the Megs 2.94-2.98 but they aren't cheap to get here to the US.  For anyone who has read them is it worth the trouble to track them down?  Is there a trade?  Thanks for the help.  I'm sutre I'll have more questions on good trades and whatnot....

James Stacey

To answer your questions, no and no. I'm sure there are people who do like them but like much of the content from the Meg around that point, they are a real mess.

Cactus

I'd say they are worth tracking down. Siku's art, especially on the second series, is stunning. The story's gone a bit mental by then - a long way from it's 'black English Judge encounters prejudice in Africa' premise - but I still enjoyed it.

Of course, if I'm recommending Siku's African landscapes you'd be better of with the Judge Dredd series Fetish: it's a more coherent story, there's a collected edition (may be oop) and a scene-stealing cameo appearance by [spoiler]Devlin Waugh[/spoiler].
I'm a tucker hot seat trucker and I'm voking cheerio, ten-ten!

Greg M.

I was never a fan of Siku's art, but I remember quite enjoying the apocalyptic and mythic nature of the second series. The first one, however, I seem to recall as being bloody awful.

Cactus

Mythic, yes! That's the word I was looking for. Thank you. The first series is a more conventional 'hunt down the baddies' tale while confronting some Issues.
I'm a tucker hot seat trucker and I'm voking cheerio, ten-ten!

O Lucky Stevie!

If you're a Paul Cornell fan (the first series was his professional comics debut; & it shows) then you are far better off getting your mitts on a copy of

http://shop.2000adonline.com/products/xtnct

Far future uplifted dinosaur clones with D'Israeli art.

If that doesn't get the thrill receptors salivating then you are clinically dead.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Colin YNWA

I'm a big Paul Cornell fan but Pan African Judges is for me pretty poor.

Wholeheartedly agree with Stevie's recommendation of Xtinct. There's a good discussion of it here

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,7413.0.html

One of the prize items in my collection is the hardcover of this (which you can normally get quite cheap on eBay) signed by both Paul Cornell and D'Israeli