Alan Grant speaks!!

Started by Proudhuff, 29 December, 2007, 04:16:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

from www.edinburghlectures.org

Alan Grant - Writing tomorrow yesterday: how fiction became reality

7.00pm - Tuesday 29th January 2008  

Quincentenary Hall, Surgeons' Hall, Nicolson Street, Edinburgh

In the 1980s Alan Grant co-wrote a series of stories featuring Judge Dredd set in the USA around the year 2100.  Reality has swiftly overtaken fiction and many of his made-up problems have already become part of everyday life:  the ever-increasing fascism of state police forces; society's inane fascination with celebrity; the empowerment of the rich and famous at the expense of ordinary people - in short, the crushing of the ordinary person as an agent in the world.  Can things only get worse?

Alan Grant first entered the comics industry in 1967 when he became an editor for DC Thompson before moving to London from Dundee in 1970.  After going back to college Grant found himself back in Dundee and living on Social Security.  It was here that he met John Wagner and a writing partnership was forged.  Together they penned hundreds of Judge Dredd's weekly adventures in the graphic comic '2000AD'.  Grant has been writing for '2000AD' for more than 25 years now, and many of the predictions made in his SF stories have come to pass in the real world.  He is internationally acclaimed for stories featuring heroes like Batman, Robocop and Terminator. He is also the co-author of 'The Bogie Man', Scotland's best-selling independent comic, and the recent comic incarnation of Robert Louis Stevenson's 'Kidnapped'.  Event chaired by Denise Mina, crime novelist.

The sixteenth series of The Edinburgh Lectures presents and discusses Changing Landscapes.

The only charge is a £3 per ticket non-refundable administration fee.

Further details are available at www.edinburghlectures.org
DDT did a job on me

I, Cosh

Sounds good. Think I'll make an effort to head along after work.
We never really die.

TordelBack

What a well-written well-informed blurb that is.  Nicely done.

monty--