Main Menu

digi archives on cd anyone?

Started by Devons Daddy, 09 August, 2002, 10:31:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devons Daddy

seen this suggested by uncle umpty.
have the digital archives made on CD rom, reasonabley inexpensive, easily marketable. given technology we all have at home worketc, not excatly a big decsion for rebelion to commsion it to be done proffesinally,

rather like graphic novels or chapters of progs.
i would purchase at say about ten pounds sterling happily if content was good,.

any others have a comment on this? christmas is coming stocking fillers are needed, non scrotts may consider this an acceptable purchase for a gift to us. .

I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

The Amstor Computer

Not for me, I'm afraid - I'm a nasty old scrote who can't stand reading off a comp screen. Give me thrills printed on bog-roll and I'm deliriously happy :-)

John Caliber

There's nothing like the thrill of seeing a page of superb artwork in its entirety on turning the page. A computer screen would have to be pretty big to get all that on screen and stil legible. I do my reading lying on the sofa or in bed - can't do that with a PC. I spend all day writing on computer, so the last thing I want to do is spend another 3-4 hours sat in front of one. Goes to show - computers aren't good for everything :)

- TCC

Link: http://www.jdrpg.com/jdss" target="_blank">THE JUDGE DREDD STREET SIM

Author of CITY OF DREDD and WORLDS OF DREDD. https://www.facebook.com/groups/300109720054510/

Oddboy

Just stock your printer with bogpaper, print 'em off & read them wherever you want!
The quality can be up to the individual then - you can print them in b/w or in colour, choose your page size/quality etc. or keep them on the screen.
Better set your phaser to stun.

John Caliber

Often, artwork available on CD is only suitable for viewing on the screen of a PC. It is usually saved at 72dpi to keep the file size as low as possible. This means when you print out the pages at 300dpi/600dpi+, the artwork looks terrible with illegible lettering. To save the artwork at a resolution suitable for print reproduction would drastically reduce the amout of material you could get on a disk. I doubt Rebellion would want you printing off their work in high resolution - you'd then have a template for photocopying and mass production - surely illegal?

- TCC
Author of CITY OF DREDD and WORLDS OF DREDD. https://www.facebook.com/groups/300109720054510/

Oddboy

No more so than actual progs are a template for photocopying... and no more so than music is easily copyable from CD to CD/MD/tape without any real loss of quality...
People still tend to prefer the original rather than a copy.  Not everyone, but as a general rule.

Wake

I think I can safely say that Rebellion have no intention of making digital copies of 2000AD stories at printable resolutions available. I think any digital material would be around 72/75 dpi...as per the online thrillviewer (which is usually a little higher than 75 dpi because I go for an image width of 650 pixels).

Wake

Oddboy

To be honest, what's wrong with the dpi as per the online thrillviewer?  I just tested a page from there & although only black&white it was still pretty good quality.

I'd rather have 'em published in book format, but I don't see a problem with 75dpi quality.
It's up to Rebellion of course, but I don't think they'll lose money due to a blackmarket sweep of dodgy printed versions of any reprint CDs they might hypothetically make.

Anyone know how the published in book format style digiarchives coming along, btw?
Like I said, I'd much prefer one of these to a CD.

Art

72 dpi is fine for online viewing, especially with antialiasing, and its okay(ish) for printing, but its still kind of fuzzy and blurry looking. Fine detail and type is particularly effected.

esoteric ed

Much as I love the traditional comic format, I'd really like some of those long lost strips on CD too, ore as a keep sake than anything else, even give the disc away with the paper version.

Anyone want to do a CD collection of the banned Dredd strips? (j/k) ;-)

Ed

Link: http://artists2.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/EequalsMC2/" target="_blank">E=mc2

http://iuma.speedera.net/artists.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/EequalsMC2/images/sm-152801.jpg">

Buddy

CD archives would be a great idea to market.

I understand the problems associated with reading from computer screens, personally it's something I don't have a problem with, heck, I'm doin' it right now.

The greatest advantage of having digital archives on CD is for reference purposes, I've lost count of the amount of times I've had to wade my way through hundreds nay thousands of comics to try and hoke out a story or artist or cover or whatever.

If I could just wack a CD into my computer and access the information right there and then I would then know where to begin my search for the hard copy.

It would also be great just to browse every now and again just for fun.

If you wanted to read them in bed or on the loo, just print out a copy, take it with you and dump it when your finished.

The biggest headache is who is going to sit and scan thousands upon thousands of pages of 2000ad.

Worth looking into though.

I'd be willing to help the process.

Any takers?

Link: www.ximoc.co.uk