Main Menu

The Walking Dead, Vol. 9: Here We Remain

Started by Goaty, 01 March, 2009, 08:01:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

It's about six issues to the collection, with a resultant two a year, so I'd say you've just over 2 months to wait for Volume 10 (July, maybe?).  An eternity in WD-fan terms.

Finally saw the paperback Compendium Vol 1 today (well over 1000 pages of it!), but didn't have the dosh to buy it.  It is unimaginably huge and gorgeous, although the paper quality means it weighs about three times the equivalent Cerebus phonebook or Essential edition, so no reading standing up on the bus, methinks.  I have a book token held over from my birthday, so once it hits Waterstones I'm going to indulge in a little ambulatory necrophilia (if that doesn't get this board a few extra Google hits I'll be most disappointed).

SmallBlueThing

Quote from: "judgefett"does anyone roughly know how long I have to wait for book 10? Im addicted...

According to my mate in Waterstones, it's due in August. A quick check of Amazon reveals it to be 29th August and currently available for pre-order at £7.69. It's called 'The Road Ahead'.

So, being The Walking Dead, I'll expect it sometime in December.

Steev

judda fett

Cheers Tordel an Spooky, I cannae wait man!

Trout

I really liked The Walking Dead, but stopped reading it when they introduced the zombie little girl. It all got a bit too much for me. I don't much like horror films, either.

It's hard to express criticism of it. I know the premise, and it is a horror story, so I'm not being negative about it. It's just not for me.

I'm glad I missed the bit with the baby.

- Trout

Bongo Jack

I'm not a fan of decompressed comics, so Walking Dead doesn't really do it for me.
Live forever or die trying

House of Usher

Quote from: "Bongo Jack"I'm not a fan of decompressed comics, so Walking Dead doesn't really do it for me.
I am, and I wish Walking Dead were. But it's not. The pace of storytelling has actually been forced to keep things moving and to stop the readers getting bored. As I mentioned before, this has been to the detriment of character development and in some cases to the detriment of the characters even continuing to exist so their stories can be told!
STRIKE !!!

TordelBack

What HoU said!  Bloody thing moves so fast sometimes I finish an issue out of breath (although that could be because I've been holding my breath the whole way through).   Maybe you meant decomposed storytelling?

Bongo Jack

Nah - I was humourously making an allusion to the huge swathes of text that throttle the average page of the Walking Dead.  While it's a decent enough page-turner, I do think a lot of the interaction is forced and stodgy.  There's no room for misunderstandings, fumbled explanations, or characters struggling to explain their feelings or reasoning, and that doesn't ring true for me for a disparate cast thrown together from different realms of experience, bringing me out of the story more often than not.  They just stand around and exposit lots of summation for pages at a time, then there's a few panels - or pages - of zombies wandering around and/or getting dismembered.  Then someone gets bitten or shot, big action sequence, repeat as necessary.
On the other hand, Kirkman does write some entertaining superheroic offerings like his Marvel Team-Up run, which benefitted from characters interacting at a brisk pace before getting on with punching things.  Or perhaps I just expect less in terms of character and plot from comics that pair up Darkhawk and X23 in a time-travel romp.
Live forever or die trying

House of Usher

Quote from: "Bongo Jack"There's no room for misunderstandings, fumbled explanations, or characters struggling to explain their feelings or reasoning...  They just stand around and exposit lots of summation for pages at a time, then there's a few panels - or pages - of zombies wandering around and/or getting dismembered.  Then someone gets bitten or shot.
In a word... compression!
STRIKE !!!