Main Menu

More questions about the 1979 2000AD annual

Started by OpusAndBill, 15 June, 2009, 03:33:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OpusAndBill

Hi all. Back again.

First, any ideas on who wrote and drew the Invasion story? The name Beeton appears surreptitiously in a panel on page 94, in a place where it has no obvious reason to be. Was there an artist called Beeton working at the time? Anyone know anymore about him/her?

Who edited the annual? Would there have been a separate reprint editor on the Guinea Pig and Phantom Patrol stories? As we're on the subject of editors, who would have edited the 1978 annual?

Finally, who was responsible for the "unpublished" Harlem's Heroes story at the back of the book?

Hope to have this index finished this week. No worries if it takes the Hive Mind a while to come up with the answers though, as the GCD errors list allows us to update the indexes any time.

Cheers,

Gordon.

btw. next time I'll have more ???s on Warlord and Lion, among others.
Boasting the efficacy of Oliver Wendell Jones' Hair Tonic.

Emperor

Your best bet might be to track down someone who was in editorial at the time as I'd imagine (if the first issue is anything to go by) they probably hammered out these early annuals with a small group of creators. If you do go to this trouble when not stop by 2000 AD Review and see if they'd be interested in an overview of the search.

The artists can probably be identified through comparison to other work (I'm sure I spotted one or two when looking through them) and a few scans might help.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

OpusAndBill

Quote from: "Emperor"Your best bet might be to track down someone who was in editorial at the time as I'd imagine (if the first issue is anything to go by) they probably hammered out these early annuals with a small group of creators. If you do go to this trouble when not stop by 2000 AD Review and see if they'd be interested in an overview of the search.

The artists can probably be identified through comparison to other work (I'm sure I spotted one or two when looking through them) and a few scans might help.

Sorry about the delayed response - I've had trouble logging-in.

By "2000AD review" do you means the topic here on the forum? Thought that was just for people to talk about the latest issue?

I'll add some scans when I figure out how to do it without destroying the bandwidth. I've basically only got what editing tools that came with windows. Even just isolating one frame results in a file size of at least 1mb. Tips and hints appreciated.

Look forward to hearing from you. I shall try the Comics UK forum as well, most likely. btw I read somewhere that Steve Holland has compiled a checklist for Lion and, possibly, Warlord. Does anyone know if this is true and where one might track such indices down?

Cheers,
Gordon.

Grant Goggans

I'm not sure what editing package that is, but it sounds awful.  There is a wonderful free tool called The Gimp available - it's as close to a clone of PhotoShop as you can get without breaking the law, and that'll get you some properly sized images from your scans for nothing.

Download from: http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/stable.html

I'm still reacclimating myself to it from PhotoShop, and the Crop tool is a little tetchy, but the results are not terrible.  Then you can upload your scans to Picasa, ImageShack or someplace like that that allows hotlinking, and post the images in this thread.

2000 AD Review is a separate fan forum:

http://www.2000adreview.co.uk

OpusAndBill

Hi Grant, thanks for the tips and links. I'm using Windows Live photogallery and Paint at the minute. Both fine for GCD purposes as they like 'em big, but unwieldy for anything else.

Gordon.

OpusAndBill

I've now managed to track down the Warlord index, so will probably spend the week digesting that. Also picked up a copy of the 1980 Star Lord annual. Yikes! LOTS of 60s reprints!

I shan't ask.

Well, not yet anyway.