Main Menu

Hi! Thinking of getting PS3,

Started by Goaty, 11 August, 2009, 11:04:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

Quote from: WoD on 18 August, 2009, 11:00:28 PM
still no b/c though...get it sorted Sony.

The b/c will be installed with an upcoming downloadable update for the PS3 firmware - apparently Sony have set a date for the PS2 being definitively discontinued.

Not sure about the new look for the PS3, or the logo - but I suppose you can't argue with price cuts and more stable hardware (official numbers on the failure rate of PS3s was something like 10-11 percent).

Something Fishy

Quote from: Professah Byah on 18 August, 2009, 11:21:14 PM
Quote from: WoD on 18 August, 2009, 11:00:28 PM
still no b/c though...get it sorted Sony.

The b/c will be installed with an upcoming downloadable update for the PS3 firmware - apparently Sony have set a date for the PS2 being definitively discontinued.

Not sure about the new look for the PS3, or the logo - but I suppose you can't argue with price cuts and more stable hardware (official numbers on the failure rate of PS3s was something like 10-11 percent).

I hope so..

this didn't fill me with confidence.

""Backwards compatibility is off the table," Sony America marketing man John Koller told Kotaku.

People buy PS3s to play PS3 games, he went on to argue. "Now that we're at a point where we're three years into the lifecycle of the PS3, there are so many PS3 disc-based games that are available that we think - and noticed this from our research - that most consumers that are purchasing the PS3 cite PS3 games as a primary [reason]. "

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/no-backwards-compatibility-for-ps3-slim

I'm off to hug my b/c PS3 lol.

True what you say, can't argue with stability and price cuts.  I saw that sample of gamers from Game Informer.  50% failure on 360's?  Personally I think that prior to the Falcon models it was probably higher than that really as all earlier models had the x-clamps.

WoD

If it had b/c I'd have got one...until it does I have no need to get one.  I would like a blue-ray player, but I've not got the space for a PS2 and a PS3...and I still have a stack of games for the PS2 that I want to play.  Sony's argument doesn't work for me...tis just a way to try and the put the PS2 'to sleep'...

Radbacker

I play under the name Radsock, Battlefield 1943 is the prefered game.
I've got one of the last of the original PS3's and haven't had a problem with it.  My 360 on the otherhand Red ringed once in warranty and has just done it again, i haven't bothered to replace it yet and dont particularly feel the need to.

CU Radbacker

Professor Bear

Quote from: WoD on 19 August, 2009, 11:24:49 AMSony's argument doesn't work for me...tis just a way to try and the put the PS2 'to sleep'...

Unlikely - it's far more probable they're denying B/C so as not to deter people from picking up a PS2 (which have been selling pretty well in the last few months), much as admitting the slimline PS3 was in the pipeline would have had an impact on the sales of the current wave of machines.  It's worth noting that the guy who says backwards compatibility is "off the table" is the same guy who - up until last week - flat-out denied there was a slimline PS3 in the works.

Something Fishy

Quote from: Professah Byah on 19 August, 2009, 08:48:39 PM
Quote from: WoD on 19 August, 2009, 11:24:49 AMSony's argument doesn't work for me...tis just a way to try and the put the PS2 'to sleep'...

Unlikely - it's far more probable they're denying B/C so as not to deter people from picking up a PS2 (which have been selling pretty well in the last few months), much as admitting the slimline PS3 was in the pipeline would have had an impact on the sales of the current wave of machines.  It's worth noting that the guy who says backwards compatibility is "off the table" is the same guy who - up until last week - flat-out denied there was a slimline PS3 in the works.

lol so true.

as always we won't know for sure until they are ready but we shouldget some leaks to confirm it sometime before it arrives.

WoD

tall true...do they actually make money selling the PS2 now...I thought (generally) it was only Nintendo who made money on hardware..

Professor Bear

Hardware gets cheaper to produce over time, so the PS2 at this point is likely a profit-maker in its own right if it's cheap enough to make.  If it wasn't, I'd imagine they'd have stopped making them long ago and made the backwards-compatibility a part of the PS3 to encourage sales, as the price is still ridiculous.

Buddy

What is it now £250??

Still pricey I think so I'll be happy to hold off for a while yet before thinking about gettin one.

The son still loves his wii and with games coming out that I actually want to get (madden 10, f1 09, tiger woods) I think we'll just stick with that.

Banners

Another argument against PS2 backwards compatibility is that with all the various download offerings, it's more lucrative to get people to buy their games again.

M@