Main Menu

Neil Gaiman to write Doctor Who episode for 2011.

Started by Colin YNWA, 06 February, 2010, 09:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Richmond Clements

Yeah, saw this on Twitter last night.

I'm not a Gaiman fan myself, but I think this is quite a coup all the same.
What's the betting it'll involved the old gods of some Earth mythology in some way..?

TordelBack

Richmond Clements

Quote from: TordelBack on 07 February, 2010, 12:58:16 PM
Quote from: His Lordship rac on 07 February, 2010, 10:44:44 AM

For whom?

Well, surely getting one of the foremost writers in his field to bang out an episode can be counted as such..?

Mike Gloady

Quite. 

Whether one is a fan of his work or not, surely the man's profile (and long-held affection for the character and world) should make his episode at least somewhat interesting?
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

bluemeanie

Definately a good catch for the Who team. Anything that raises the profile and all that.
Not the biggest Gaiman fan in the world but as long as he writes a cool Who script, not "NEIL GAIMANS DOCTOR WHO" then all good.

Leigh S

Not really seen enough Gaimans stuff to judge it on that standard.  My impression is hes a bit fey and mystical, in a similar vein to his increasingly irritating chum Tori (and let me add that back in the Pele days, there were few bigger Tori defenders than me).

Nothing essentially wrong with that, though I'm not keen on Doctor Who and mystical meeting, even if I can enjoy both Mystical and Who.

Still, he may go all Bidmeadean on us just for a laugh!  

So not excited, possibly slightly dubious that the smugness I perceive in New Who meeting the smugness I perceive around Gaiman might meld into something even more smug than I can endure. But, at least its under Moffatt, so I'm trying to give it all the benefit of the doubt and watch without the preconceptioons the last 5 years have left me with.

TordelBack

Quote from: His Lordship rac on 07 February, 2010, 01:43:17 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 07 February, 2010, 12:58:16 PM
Quote from: His Lordship rac on 07 February, 2010, 10:44:44 AM

For whom?

Well, surely getting one of the foremost writers in his field to bang out an episode can be counted as such..?

No doubt, but Gaiman's TV drama record isn't exactly stellar, and for an Englishman of his age and predilictions, getting to write Dr. Who might seem like a coup too...

Mike Gloady

Oh I'm absolutely certain that Gaiman is chuffed into tiny bits about this.  He's a pretty major fan of Who as I recall.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Roger Godpleton

Cautiously optimistic. The best Gaiman comic is 1602 because it still remembers to be a fun superhero romp so if Neez is in romping mood all could very well be copacetic. BITCH.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 07 February, 2010, 06:54:42 PM
Cautiously optimistic. The best Gaiman comic is 1602 because it still remembers to be a fun superhero romp so if Neez is in romping mood all could very well be copacetic. BITCH.

Well said my man.

You can also hear the chorus of both Grant Morrison & John Smith's, "OOOOO PICK ME NEXT! PICK ME!!!" down here in Auxtralia.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"