Main Menu

Whatever Happened to.......

Started by brendan1, 08 September, 2010, 05:07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brendan1

Any 2000AD regular you think "I miss that fella" or "I wonder what happened to him/ her?"

Here's a couple:

That vaguley asian-looking goth girl who modelled T-shirts in the 90s (was that also Roxilla)?

sms, who shared art duties with Bisley on ABC Warriors, and was understandably rather overshadowed by him. He was horrible at drwaing humans, but his robots, machinery and backgrounds were often quite amazing.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: brendan1 on 08 September, 2010, 05:07:42 PM

sms, who shared art duties with Bisley on ABC Warriors, and was understandably rather overshadowed by him. He was horrible at drwaing humans, but his robots, machinery and backgrounds were often quite amazing.

I preferred SMS' art to Bisley's on ABCW, and wish he'd done it all. I loved his page layouts and storytelling, something he trumped the Biz on throughout.

TordelBack

Quote from: brendan1 on 08 September, 2010, 05:07:42 PM
sms, who shared art duties with Bisley on ABC Warriors, and was understandably rather overshadowed by him.

It was the other way round for me.  SMS remains one of my favourite ever 2000AD artists, even on the basis of taht sliver of work. There's been a few threads about him in recent years, and his website is:  http://www.smuzz.org.uk/

He's an SF illustration god.

Jim_Campbell

He's currently working on an original SF GN, written by John Freeman, to be published next year by Strip's publishers, PrintMedia.

I'm off to the pub but will be back later with links to sample art, if I can find 'em.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JOE SOAP

The Corinthian

SMS did backgrounds for Bryan Talbot's 'Heart of Empire' about a decade back. His ABC work reminds me of Moebius in some ways, but that's probably just me.

Wasn't Roxilla actually Alan McKenzie, and therefore unlikely to be the lady who modelled the T-Shirts (though he'd be marginally better than the models who showed off the Doctor Who tank-tops that, I swear to God, were actually available to buy c.1990)?

JOE SOAP

He did some stuff for Mad Dog magazine, including the Owellian "Captain Airstrip-One" with Alan Moore.

Greg M.

Funny enough, I was just re-reading this a couple of days ago and marvelling at how good SMS's art was. I also would have preferred to see him do the lot. His work is so intricate and arresting - his Monad in particular was a stomach-churning interpretation.

Noisybast

I seem to recall a Tharg strip identifying the lady as Cyb-Aud, aka Audrey Wong.
A quick Google reveals she still looks rather tasty these days, too...

http://ualresearchonline.arts.ac.uk/1956/
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Emperor

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 08 September, 2010, 05:27:44 PM
He's currently working on an original SF GN, written by John Freeman, to be published next year by Strip's publishers, PrintMedia.

I'm off to the pub but will be back later with links to sample art, if I can find 'em.

No need to disrupt the boozing, here it is:

http://downthetubescomic.blogspot.com/

I did wonder about where SMS had got to these days and that answers the question and reveals he just kept on getting better and better. I'm just surprised he didn't continue on in 2000AD but I'm sure there are various things that can throw you off the thrill path.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

I, Cosh

Quote from: Noisybast on 08 September, 2010, 08:19:22 PM
I seem to recall a Tharg strip identifying the lady as Cyb-Aud, aka Audrey Wong.
Rather tasty, yes, but before you write to Tharg asking for her hand in marriage that picture's from 1988.
We never really die.

brendan1

Quote from: The Cosh on 08 September, 2010, 08:54:37 PM
Quote from: Noisybast on 08 September, 2010, 08:19:22 PM
Rather tasty, yes, but before you write to Tharg asking for her hand in marriage that picture's from 1988.

Ah.

BPP

Quote from: Emperor on 08 September, 2010, 08:39:26 PM

I did wonder about where SMS had got to these days and that answers the question and reveals he just kept on getting better and better. I'm just surprised he didn't continue on in 2000AD but I'm sure there are various things that can throw you off the thrill path.

There was some sort of politics to that - wasn't it a dispute between Mills (pro SMS) and editoral and 'bisley is so popular nobody wants this 'SMS' werido' and out he went. Which is a shame

And the moebius thing - totally - its the feathery linework and the abundance of detail and lack of solid blacks. Like Rick Geary too.

Lets face it. Mills was RIGHT again.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd