Main Menu

Savage - 'Taking Liberties'

Started by Colin YNWA, 05 May, 2010, 08:26:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

I'm a big fan of the later Savage books and was really looking forward to reading the early stories and have to say I wasn't disappointed. Its kinda fun the way that the later episodes sit right next door to the early episodes of 'Judge Dredd - Total War' no concidence there I suspect.

Savage is balls to the wall honest action storytelling. It wears this nice overcoat of political satire, which fits very well but basically under there is an action hero blowing things away with a bloody cool shotgun. Its kinda exactly what 2000ad was made for. Ok I find it a little weird that Bill goes to all that effort to change is identity and in his new identity doesn't seem to mind quite how overt his actions are and so surely if they think he's Bill or Jack is surely academic he's the guy blowing Volgs away with his shooter... anyway I got over that and just enjoyed the ride... well until the end way to leave us with a cliff-hanger fella's. I mean I'm reading in a very compacted way but in real time that was lingering for what a year or so - OUCH!

A couple of things of note, the villian is so cliched but so wonderfully so I chuffing love him. Charlie's Aldard's art works so much better for me in black and white and here it is so perfect its a relief they had someone as talented as Patrick Goddard to take over. I'm really looking forward to the new stuff as I catch up with the old.

Blowin' me away.

Paul faplad Finch

I will admit to having gleaned some small measure of enjoyment from the later series of Savage. Not a lot mind, but some. Which came as something of a surprise I can tell you. The earlier stuff though, left me, I'm sorry to say, completely cold.

And now it looks like I've jumped on this thread as an excuse to jump on Mr Mills again, but no, I actually have another target.

For some reason the art on this series was something that I actively disliked. This was unusual for me at that time because until very recently, and mainly as a result of posting reviews on this site, I have never really been overly fussed about artwork. If it was really good (Ezquerra, Macneil,the Flint/Blythe combination)I noticed it, but otherwise I was indifferent. I was here for the words. Possibly heresy but there you go.

Adlards stuff though, I remember being really turned off by. To this day I can't explain why, especially since his stuff in the first Walking Dead trade really did it for me.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

willthemightyW

How many Savage books have been published?
They say you need to spend money to make money, well I've never made any money so by that logic I've never spent any.

Mike Gloady

Don't have much time for Mr Adlard's style personally.  It's undeniably accomplished but on a pure aesthetic level I don't like it.  Having SAID that, his storytelling in Taking Liberties is excellent and as far as I'm concerned Savage is one of Mr Mills' better efforts for Twoth in recent years. 

Me likey.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Colin YNWA

Well Book 2 of nu-Invasion was mighty good fun. I'm a massive fan of Savage and it no nonsense storytelling. Its got great characters and Savage reminds me a little of Dredd in that in the real world he'd be a bloody horrible character you'd pretty much hate but he's given a setting and a depth that means while he's a complete bastard he's a bloody compelling one and a bit of a hero within his context. The Volgans are so deliciously evil as well.

The plot can be picked apart, so for example Savage has had surgery to disguise himself and yet still is the spit of his brother. But why bother, thats not what the strips there for. Its action adventure of the highest order and Charlie Adlard proves once again some folk are born to do black and white art work.

Pumped.

TordelBack

Quote from: Paul faplad Finch on 09 May, 2010, 12:57:12 AM
Adlards stuff though, I remember being really turned off by. To this day I can't explain why, especially since his stuff in the first Walking Dead trade really did it for me.

Errr, could that be because the art in Walking Dead Vol. 1 is by Tony Moore?

Colin YNWA

Best so far. Blooming heck this stuff is fun right out of the old school...

... so nothing new to say then here but since I read 'Double Yellow' last night in one go and enjoyed it so much, thought I might as well share.