Main Menu

Strange New Worlds 2011 – The Weekender (23/24 July)

Started by COMMANDO FORCES, 03 July, 2011, 03:47:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

COMMANDO FORCES

WORTHING, that's the south coast, just in case  ;)

This has nearly come and gone without anyone knowing about it at all.
I saw it on a facebook link in the wee hours at work one night but as with many things, I forgot about it until yesterdays forum meet! Pat Mills, Glenn Fabry and the ever so quiet Simon Bisley plus others will be in attendance!
The official site is being built but here is the LINK anyway!
and here is the Downthetubes LINK

Looks like it could be fun, especially for all those forum members in the South!

P.S £2 Adults and under 12's FREE  :o

COMMANDO FORCES

Mods, can you delete this post. It was a double one, cheers  :-[

Albion

Crikey!
Good find CF. I hadn't heard of that. Not far from me so I'll try to get there and check it out if life doesn't get in the way.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Large48

[size=40]Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill[/size]

Large48

OK, so what time does it start then????????

Any clues anyone?

:(

Albion

Quote from: Large48 on 20 July, 2011, 02:23:43 PM
OK, so what time does it start then????????

The website isn't very clear is it? I had trouble finding it but if you click on the flyer image at the bottom of the home page it says it's on from 10 - 5.

I'm hoping to get there but not sure which day yet due to various stuff going on.

COMMANDO FORCES

Large48

Albion

I'm going today. Not sure what time yet.
Bisley has pulled out but Pat Mills and Glenn Fabry are still there.

COMMANDO FORCES

I've just gone to bed after a ..... nights work and so will miss this one. Make sure to take some pics, get some sketches and tell us lot what went on.

Mangamax

Well that was great fun - odd, but great fun.
Darn peculiar that, on the same weekend as San Diego is happening, two greats of the comic world were at such a small event.
And that meself and the good Captain Skank seemed to be the only folk there who were interested in more than the huge amount of Star Wars & Doctor Who themed stuff there.
Which i ain't complaining about:
We had Glenn all to ourselves all morning, while he spent at least an hour plus on each of our sketches, nattering away and proving himself to be a brilliant, decent, funny guy.
And in the afternoon, we sat chewing the fat with Pat over the drinks he bought us, main subjects being the future of his strips, artist choices, Flesh, Hookjaw and, best of all for me, an appreciation of the genius that is Ken Reid.
Topped off by a 2 hour illustrated talk by Pat on his time on 2000AD.
A brilliant day, bringing back memories of the early Con's, where you didn't have to spend hours in a queue for 5 mins with a guest.
Most brilliant of all was getting another addition to my "Someone Old, Someone New" project from Glenn.
Had to go with Slaine of course.

Who he met, you can find out on the Blog:

http://someoneoldsomeonenew.blogspot.com/

And here we go with Capn' Skank, Glenn, me:

Colour us chuffed. Especially the Captain, who redness is down to being almost fit to burst at the joy of owning a brilliant snarling Fabry Dredd
The perspective on that chairs all wrong

SmallBlueThing

Well, that blog is superb! And it managed toconvince me to get Jack Staff into the bargain- as I didn't know The Spider et al were featured. Job done, and cheers.

But I hate to be the one to tell you- you didn't meet Glenn Fabry at all. He sent Ed Byrne in his place.

SBT

Albion

I went along to this today and also saw Large48 there.
As Mangamax said, it was a strange little event with a lot of Star Wars and Dr Who stuff and not a lot in the way of comics. No Pat Mills today but the wonderful Glenn Fabry was there.

I had a very quick look around and not much interested me but I spent a very enjoyable three hours with Glenn chatting about various things while he did me two lovely sketches, and here they are......

He had some samples of his other work and a great Preacher painting he has done for someone. Anyone here who is in to commissions should get hold of him.

COMMANDO FORCES

Sounds great, especially the amount of time with Glenn. Just a pity I had to get some sleep  :(