Main Menu

MEG 325 - Law Machine

Started by LARF, 16 June, 2012, 06:34:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

staticgirl

And I forgot to say the floppy was great! I really love Westerns at the moment thanks to having overdosed on Deadwood and Hell on Wheels recently so a horror/western was right up my street.  Of course Westerns are a genre dear to the hearts of 2000AD creators even if they do whack future-judges, post-life gunslingers, dinosaurs or monsters into them too. Hurrah!

BPP

I hate Dave Taylor. He's so good I'm off to buy my first Batman book since The Killing Joke.

So glad to see him back in the 2000AD fold, time for more of his dead-judge stories with Edginton.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Dash Decent

I like the angle used for the cover view of the bike, but the writing makes it seem like Dredd (or someone in the Justice dept bike maintenance crew) has parked it the wrong way.  Three months, creep!
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

CrazyFoxMachine

Wow. This is the first time in... a year an a half that I've been up to date enough to comment on an issue without it looking like a necropost.

I just want to say - the cover, what a fcking dandy. Lovely stuff.

Also - the discussion about the text story - surely shouldn't be about spoilery but the half-arsed not-at-all-credited not-at-all-related old Steve Dillon picture attached to it. Not bad of course not, but - I mean. Aren't there "pin-up" shots even closely related to the story that aren't from the archive? JUST SAYING. 

After-rant: This is a minor niggle actually, this meg was a beaut. The gorgeous cover aside - no movie review nads - just two lovely interviews with relevant creators. Dave Taylor on a well-thought-out Dredd story,  some gurt lush Holden greywash (despite what Goggans thinks), some nice intrigue in Snapshot which is just the kind of widescreen thriller comix wot sell so well (and get turned into moving picatures and the like) but it's great seeing Diggle and Jock back. Hondo-Cit is a'ight. Colouring is a bit cock.

American Gothic was good - I remember reading it on my lunchbreaks when I used to work at MORRISONS (or Moribunds as my WAG of a father likes to say) way back when. Works better now, and although a bit disjointed is a bit of a neat yarn. The two Terror Tales are good though - that Dom Reardon one is a bloody treasure. Nice to see it again. That Ewing sure can write.

And although I'm not up-to-date enough to comment in the prog threads as yet. I will say. I liked Zaucer of Zilk. Suck it.

Syne

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 02 July, 2012, 11:36:37 PM

Also - the discussion about the text story - surely shouldn't be about spoilery but the half-arsed not-at-all-credited not-at-all-related old Steve Dillon picture attached to it. Not bad of course not, but - I mean. Aren't there "pin-up" shots even closely related to the story that aren't from the archive? JUST SAYING. 

Yeah, much as I love Dillon, that pic's not exactly his finest hour. I'm guessing it's a very early piece, before he settled on his trademark skull-tight helmet.

Spaceghost

Quote from: Syne on 03 July, 2012, 07:10:42 AM

Yeah, much as I love Dillon, that pic's not exactly his finest hour. I'm guessing it's a very early piece, before he settled on his trademark skull-tight helmet.

Reading through the case files, it becomes apparent that Dillon started off with the tight helmet, and then expanded it to the wide, samurai style seen it that pic, possibly influenced by Brendan McCarthy.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Syne

Quote from: Lee Bates on 03 July, 2012, 08:56:12 AM
Quote from: Syne on 03 July, 2012, 07:10:42 AM

Reading through the case files, it becomes apparent that Dillon started off with the tight helmet, and then expanded it to the wide, samurai style seen it that pic, possibly influenced by Brendan McCarthy.

He was drawing the tight helmet in the early 90's when I quit the prog, did he go to the wide-style after that? Have to say I prefer the tight style for him.

CrazyFoxMachine

and Michael's story is set during Chaos Day. Just seems lazy. He's even got a fcking Mark I lawgiver.

Proudhuff

but the half-arsed not-at-all-credited not-at-all-related old Steve Dillon picture attached to it.

To be fair he has written his name in big letters on it  :D
DDT did a job on me

CrazyFoxMachine

I thought it was some newbie art droid paying homage - 'specially given it doesn't say it properly anywhere.

pauljholden

I don't think Steve ever managed to pull off the McCarthy sty;e helmet.I have the same problem, I could never get that flared style to work for me either. It's something in our art style that really doesn't lend itself to those more out there flourishes.

Mikey

To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Spaceghost

Quote from: pauljholden on 03 July, 2012, 07:48:51 PM

I don't think Steve ever managed to pull off the McCarthy sty;e helmet.I have the same problem, I could never get that flared style to work for me either. It's something in our art style that really doesn't lend itself to those more out there flourishes.

Brendan's the only artist I can think of to make the flared style work.

I love Pete Doherty's art but in the 90's his Dredd helmet was flared to the point that it looked like he was balancing a wok on his head. He's got it out of his system now though.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...