Main Menu

Prog 1797 - Chariot of Ire!

Started by Colin YNWA, 18 August, 2012, 11:27:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spaceghost

Still really enjoying my super, soaraway prog.

The cover is beautiful. Leigh Gallagher is one of my most favouritest art droids and this cover is very cinematic and lovely.

I'm afraid I'll have to agree with those who've said they found Dredd a bit confusing. The bits that made me go 'huh?' were the first few panels with the talking brown boxes and the Judge who finds himself suddenly dangling off the other side of a staircase for no apparent reason.

Once I'd more or less figured out what was going on, it was an ok story. Not fantastic or rubbish.

Aquila is my favourite new strip since Zombo. I love everything about it. Leigh Gallagher's art, the character designs, Gordon Rennie's script and dialogue, the *HUUUUUURRGHH* violence. It's just perfect 2000 AD. I hope we get plenty more of this.

Ichabod Azrael is sort of stuck in limbo appropriately enough. We seem to have been in the same situation since the first episode with a few scene changes. I suspect it'll read better in one go, rather than waiting a week between episodes. I'll be getting the trade of this one.

3Rillers is back and this time it's '2000 AD does Evangelion'. From the design of the giant robots to the 'shady commanders in a bunker' and the ticking time limit and giant alien enemy remeniscent of the 'Angels', this is Evangelion in all but name. I enjoyed it despite the sense of deja vu and eagerly await the next episode. It may have a similar set up to Evangelion but it could go anywhere from here (for two more episodes at least).

I can see where criticisms regarding the checking off of Dredd-world tropes comes from but I'm just really loving Lenny Zero. I can't see the heist going off without a hitch, nor can I see Lenny getting busted by the Judges, so I'm left wondering what the outcome will be. I'd be happy to see more but would rather it ran in the Megazine in future.

All good stuff and the promise of a big Thrill Explosion in two weeks.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

The Sherman Kid

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 18 August, 2012, 05:24:45 PM
Dredd -  I still feel as though I'm waiting for the first of the 'proper' DoC follow-up tales. One criticism - and purely a personal opinion - is that Caroll's Dredd, like Rennie and Ennis', always seems to be trying too hard to play up to his hard-man persona; the supporting cast of Judges are forever doing or saying stupid things to make Dredd look good by contrast, which cheapens things all round. Wagner and Ewing Dredd impresses because he doesn't try to impress the reader; the legend is all implied in his sheer sense of precence, and their Judges are a credible force that aren't relegated to stooges.

Agree with the above and comments about confusing artwork and weird scenarios.

Seems a long wait now for a proper DoC follow up, just seem to be dancing around it for now.

15 Another great 3riller. Really enjoying these.

Lenny Whoa ,not sure about Lenny offing Judges by taking them out with the stub gun......Sic him Kramer
Easter Egg spot -Joe Orton Block author of Loot and 'scandalous' black comedies -appropriate enough (Nice one with Mary Tamm too)

TordelBack

Cover:  Seriously, what's not to love?

Dredd: Not Mr. Carroll's best Dredd to date, but that said it would still rank alongside the strongest of (say) Ennis' one-episode tales.  Opening scene was indeed confusing, no real way of seeing what's going on at first glance - be interested to know whether this is a script or art issue.  Was also a bit conscious of more 'echoes' of the Dredd trailers, coming right after similar in 'Debris' - female gang-boss made good, little circular charge blows door, judges burst in and shoot people... yes, yes, I know this is what Dredd does most weeks, but my antennae are tingling nonetheless.

That aside, some lovely action sequences from Smudge, and a great little twist at the end that made me (and probably only me) think of Timothy Zahn's Heir to the Empire.

Aquila:  Let me count the ways!  Best episode yet, top of the Prog too, and while I know it may aggravate Rennie's sensitive bile duct, the tragic nerd that (on a good day) lives behind my eyes notes the very lovely link to the recent Absalom, and also reflects that Caballistics Inc ended with the teasing appearance of an immortal warrior of a slightly more recent vintage... Might we be seeing more of the Devourer's schemes beyond the confines of Aquila?

Lenny Zero: Excellent fun, no problem with luscious equal-opportunities nudity in an appropriate and hilarious context. Would have liked to see that stub overheat, mind.

3rillers:  Detonator XI!

Ichabod A:  An inspired bit of emergency art-casting there, but even so this episode felt flabby. 

TordelBack

Quote from: TordelBack on 23 August, 2012, 10:52:09 AMOpening scene was indeed confusing, no real way of seeing what's going on at first glance - be interested to know whether this is a script or art issue. 

Just realised that Smudge himself graciously addressed this issue already, someways up-thread - my apologies for flogging an art-droid, and thanks to Smudge for taking the time to clarify.

DrJomster

The end of the Dredd was a bit old school in a certain way. Wa, wa, waaaaaah I believe was mentioned above. Very un-Carroll.

I'm liking Lenny. Yes, it's hitting a lot of the 80's checklist, bit it's done very well. Mr Willsher is delivering for me too as it happens.
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

DrJomster

Ps. Don't get me wrong though, Mike does great Dredd. It's just that style of ending, which has been used in days of old, isn't really my cup of tea. Very well observed though.

Enjoyed the prog. Luckily it's nearly Saturday and time for the next one!
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Lee Bates on 22 August, 2012, 03:25:39 PM
3Rillers is back and this time it's '2000 AD does Evangelion'. From the design of the giant robots to the 'shady commanders in a bunker' and the ticking time limit and giant alien enemy remeniscent of the 'Angels', this is Evangelion in all but name. I enjoyed it despite the sense of deja vu and eagerly await the next episode. It may have a similar set up to Evangelion but it could go anywhere from here (for two more episodes at least).
The giant robot's even bloody look like EVA's.  It's one of the most thinly vailed nock off's i've seen since Transmorphers. But it's drawn by JDH so i'm gonna give it a chance.  :lol:

Cactus

I thought the ending of the Judge Dredd story could be developed in the future, so I liked it. Imagine what a Mega-City criminal could do with a functioning lawgiver.
I'm a tucker hot seat trucker and I'm voking cheerio, ten-ten!

DoomBot

Loving Lenny Zero - best in prog this week, also loving Aquilla and Dredd. 3thrillers was a fine openers and having just rediscovered Battletech in my games cupboard the timing for a giant robot inspired story is spot on. I want to like Ichabod but I just can't get into it

DrRocka

Best thing for me this week's been Aquila - great art, and it reminds me a bit of early Slaine, for some reason. Hope to see lots more of this in the future.

Dredd's been ok for the last couple of weeks, treading water if I'm honest, but things are just slowly readjusting to the post Day Of Chaos world, so I reckon it'll start making strides again come Prog 1800. Plus, is it me or have the last couple of stories been sort of echoing aspects of the new movie?

Everything else... all good. Not legendary, but solid. Looking forward to reading Ichabod in its entirety next week, and Lenny and 15 both good fun.

Fine Prog.
Never ever bloody anything ever

Spikes

About as late as its possible to be, on this one, but here's my take on Tharg's lastest.

Cover, As somebody else has said - whats not to like. Good attention grabbing stuff.

Dredd, This is more like it. Not an outstanding episode, but a good little one-off. Yes, maybe a little confusing at the beginning, etc but nowt de-railing. Nice little ending panels.
3rilller, Big giant robots! Nice art from Davis-Hunt, though that last panel reminded me of something that Frank Quitely would draw. Which int a bad thing at all.
Aquilla and Ichabod continue in fine form - and a real sense that the conclusion is just around the corner, with these.
and Lenny Zero is still a good fun read (though i have now read the following episode, :-\)

If im brutally honest, about the only strip, of late, that doesnt totally satisfy, is Dredd, but i understand it cant be Wagner/Day of Chaos every week. Still, im here for the foreseeable future.

Spikes

Just where has that modify function got to?

Tharg's lastest?? Heh, if i meant latest (which i did) then that would be prog 1799, but hey, i did say i was running late on this one.