Main Menu

Prog 1795 - Plane crazy!

Started by Colin YNWA, 04 August, 2012, 10:12:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: a chosen rider on 06 August, 2012, 05:29:34 PM

• Nimrod - An "enhanced" clone who appeared in "Total War".  The Judges experimented on him to give him super senses, but it went wrong and his physical state deteriorated.  Dredd wasn't happy about the Judges trying to make him take responsibility for the euthanasia order, but eventually did end up shooting Nimrod as a mercy-killing.

[/list]
    So was Nimrod that monsterous Dredd creature seen in Armitage: The Underground? I need to go back and re-read that just to check.....

Richard

No that was something else. Dredd killed Nimrod in 2004's "Total War."

One you left out: Simeon, another Judda Dredd clone who was captured in Oz and could still be alive in a cube there.

a chosen rider

Oh, yeah, I forgot about those clones in the recent Armitage story.  That was a similar idea to the Nimrod project, trying to make super-clones by mixing Dredd's genes with alien DNA.  I think all the clones were destroyed in the end.

Quote from: Richard on 06 August, 2012, 06:29:32 PMOne you left out: Simeon, another Judda Dredd clone who was captured in Oz and could still be alive in a cube there.

I thought they said Kraken was the only one of the captured clones who survived interrogation, though I might be misremembering.
    On Twitter @devilsfootsteps

Steve Green

Not sure whatever happened to Simeon, but his name pops up when they first find out they're dealing with clones....

Having a quick look, last mention of him is that he's still on the critical list, just before Dredd pops off to Ayers Rock.

Richard

Kraken was the only survivor of the attack on the Grand Hall in MC1, which was later.

vzzbux

Quote from: Richard on 05 August, 2012, 04:09:23 PM
    I liked Fargo on the 10,000 credit thing.
    The Ron Smith version at that from the Dredd/Angel story.

V
    Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.

a chosen rider

Same day digital is here!  If only I'd noticed in time to read the prog this morning instead of being forced to leave it this late.

Cover - I like it!  Much prefer this style of work from Langley.  Fantastic level of detail.

Dredd - Now that's a great opening panel.  Lovely contrast between the drama of the caption box and Dredd's actual reaction, and top notch art as well.  It's been well foreshadowed, but still nice to see [spoiler]Dolman's identity[/spoiler] confirmed.  Still greatly enjoying this, and pleased that it's running to a decent length instead of being done in two or three parts.

Red Seas - Some lines that made me giggle, and much more detailed backgrounds in the art this time around.  Good stuff.

Aquila - Getting more into this now, I'm pleased to say.  Great colouring again, especially in the campfire scenes.  Love the dynamic panels in the battle scene.

Ichabod Azrael - I must admit that I'm far more interested in Charon than the actual main character of this strip.  Good stuff, though, and that's a fantastic final panel.

Lenny Zero - Ooh, bit of a typo at the start of page 2; couple of missing words there.  Doesn't detract from what's another excellent episode; proceding at a great pace, and yay, [spoiler]Max[/spoiler]!  Showing Fargo's face on the cred-card is a cute touch, if a tad cheeky; of course, you'd only know it's what it is if you already know exactly what it is. ;)

Well, that was a disgustingly positive review.  Really excellent prog all round this week!
    On Twitter @devilsfootsteps

Colin YNWA

Out of interest how was the experience of reading it in the new digital format?

The Sherman Kid

Cover Definately worth a mention.Spectacular, now thats what you call an 'action shot'

Droid Life :D :DBrilliant

Dredd Agree with others that the artwork, in places, looks a bit rushed  (one  mistake -Dolman supposedly cuffed with arms around back is shown with a arm to his side in one panel). Dredd is suitably stunned by seeing the inappropriate use of facial hair on a fellow clone -he'd be offering him a full glass of the Oracle Spice by now on the Judge Child mission with that mush  ;).Not a bad story but the tone hasn't seemed right at times -hoping to see Judges actually trying to SAVE some cits in the aftermath of DoC for the next story and giving us a picture of where we are with overall impact of DoC ,both in the Meg and around the globe.

Would also like to see more of the impact of DoC on Dredds mental state and on other Judges who have been through hell.The general citizenry killed huge numbers of them in the aftermath of the hoax vid  -that is a HUGE ISSUE  that needs to be addressed.The judges see themselves as 'guardians' of law and order not prison warders, but after what hass just happened surely they must question that.

Red Seas Very nice art, but I just can't get into this.

Aquila A bloody Reservoir Dog Black Hawk, lacking depth for me

Ichabod A bloody Reservoir Adam Eternal, lacking depth for me.

Lenny Zero Excellent art, excellent characters, excellent story (but pity this is shown so soon after DoC).Watching a polar trying and trying to get attention I thought was absolutely hilarious, just brilliant.The attention to detail with the banknotes is great too. It was like seeing an old friend with the return of Max Normal, I believe we saw him last in the opening panel of the first DoC story watching the Apathy party broadcast.Getting better and better this for me.

Grant Goggans

Glad we have you fellas to notice Smith's Fargo on the cred note.  I think that I would never have caught that!  Great attention to detail, that Willsher droid!

Zarjazzer

Cover okay but strangely unmoving for me despite the Langley touch.Red Seas continues to shine with a lovely end panel full of baddies,Ichabod's really lost me so I just look at the funky art now, Aquila moves along nicely, and Lenny Zero was fine but all talkie, no shootie,(Max Normal though :)) Dredd was best this week.
    The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

TordelBack

Bitchin' proggery, squaxxdudes.

Cover:  Yay, the Balls Brother are back!  Well executed, but ultimately a dull choice of cover image.

Droid Life:  Cringe.  In a very good way.

Dredd - Debris:  Brilliantly sustained mix of action and character detail, Carroll already writes like an old hand but manages to be origial at the same time. Dredd's simple 'huh' of recognition demonstrates his grasp of the character as well as anything could. There are few disconnects between linework and colour in the backgrounds this week, but the lively art has such palpable momentum and personality it'd be churlish to quibble.  Confess I wouldn't have twigged the reveal in advance without the help of the Board.

Red Seas - Beautiful Freaks:  Surely that is Sir Isaac in a toupee?  It must be!  Like where this is going, and it has the best line of the week in "hang on to that tortoise, I suspect we're going to need him".

Aquila:   Yeah, this really is one of those comics they write just for me.  Straight of the shelves of Lucien's library and into my prog.  Clever structure, glorious gore.

Ichabod A:  Slowly clawing its way back into my affections.  While some of the art shortcuts annoyed me a bit this week, I loved the whole sequence with Charon. 

Lenny Zero: Zero's 7:  Continues to be quite brilliant in its ability to seamlessly mix fanservice with humour and a solid caper plot.  Max was just the icing on an already delicious cake.  This by far the most successful 'what ever happened to...' stort yet.

TordelBack

Dunno if it's necessary at this point, but perhaps someone could spoiler-tag that spoiler in the last line of the preceding post?

James Stacey

I suspect the current cover means its not worth it.