Main Menu

DC Dredd

Started by McNulty, 30 December, 2001, 08:25:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

O Lucky Stevie!

sounds like a possum's just down a bit of bolting himself, straight down the chimney to get out of the rain! (either that or it's mister spider via flesh book 1)

steven l'enfant terrible
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Leigh S

Very good points, but while you may need to re-imagine an old story to appeal to a new audience (Dan Dare say), I would argue that the original Dredd (post Cursed Earth at least) is still ahead of it's time, and more relevant, satirical and imaginative than the DC version.  I'm no fan of American comics in general, so perhaps it's more 'American' approach didn't appeal to me.  The setting of MC-1 is at least as important as Dredd himself so to place Dredd in a near future environment rather than the chaos of MC-1 is a mistake IMO.  You had Police, Courts, a President - everything that made MC1 unique was stripped out.  It also tried to build a supporting cast out of the cadets, which again watered down the format.  

The genius of Wagner is that we root for Dredd AND realise that he's a bastard at the same time.  This is probably the reason why a film will never be successful, as scriptwriters invariably try to say:

Dredd is bad - he should chill out and loosen up

Dredd is good - fascism's a good thing

With the Stallone film we confusingly got both of these messages (guess which one Stallone agreed with;))

Thread Zero

If you make the Dredd movie villian worse than Dredd, it shouldn't matter how much of a bastard Dredd is.

Dredd could work that way I think.

scojo