Main Menu

Proto Slaine

Started by maryanddavid, 06 December, 2013, 10:23:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maryanddavid

I had hoped to do something about this newspaper strip called 'Nuada of the Silver Arm', a small collection maybe, but Jim Fitzpatrick isn't keen at the moment.
I have the complete strip but it in very low resolution so not really usable for viewing on screen.

The following is a small piece I have put together for the Hibernia page on Facebook it may be of interest to some here, I'm not putting it up on Facebook just yet, until I can source a better copy of the comic page.

'2000AD's Slaine is 30 years old this year, Pat Mills created the strip drawing largely on Irish mythology and having the cream of British and Irish artist working on it have ensured its popularity.
It's not the first time that Irish Mythology has been adapted to the comic form. Starting in October 1975 in the Sunday edition of The Irish Independent, a new comic started called 'Nuada of the Silver arm' began. It was written and drawn by renowned Artist and Photographer Jim Fitzpatrick. 
It was in B&W and featured the character 'Nuada'. Nuada is one of the principle players in the Mythological cycle of Irish Mythology, he was the King of the DeDannan's as they battle first the Fir Bolg and then the Formorians for ownership of Ireland.
Fitzpatrick draws on these myths and brings to life these ancient stories, very much in a Marvel Conanesque style.

The strip last a little over 20 episodes and it was cut short by the arrival of a new editor who took a dislike to it and discontinued it, and it was never completed.
It was however the inspiration of Fitzpatrick's brilliant book's The Book of Conquests and The Silver Arm, which tell the tale of the first and second battle of Moytura, and my favourite, the Transformations of Tuan.

Ancient Otter

I'm guessing most people on the board mightn't recognize the name but they might know his work from the Thin Lizzy album covers and that image of Che Guevara

From the Wikipedia page:

QuoteJim Fitzpatrick is an Irish artist famous for Irish Celtic art. Perhaps his most famous piece is his iconic two-tone portrait of Che Guevara created in 1968 and based on a photo by Alberto Korda.

QuoteIn 2011, Fitzpatrick announced his intention to copyright the iconic red and black Che Guevara graphic, which he initially released copyright-free for intended use among revolutionary groups in Europe and elsewhere. He blamed "crass commercial" use of the image for his decision and plans to hand over the copyright and all rights, in perpetuity, to the family of Guevara in Cuba.