Main Menu

Is the Megazine worth it?

Started by optimusjamie, 17 June, 2013, 10:24:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Link Prime

The Meg is a great anthology with fantastic production values, but like any anthology, the quality can dip / peak depending on your personal taste or viewpoint.
When compared to a 20 page $3.99 American comic it's also very good value for money IMO.
I've stuck with it since Vol 1.1, and will read it as long as its published.

james newell

I love it, I don't even register the price when buying it, but thats just me.
j

Recrewt

I think the Meg is definitely worth it - for some reason it doesn't seem to get a lot of love on the forum.  The price seems reasonable when it is only a once a month purchase and I like that it's larger and feels more substantial.  Sometimes I pick up the Prog and it feels like I am holding a leaflet! 

The enclosed floppy GNs have all been good of late and are a nice addition.
There have been some great interviews of late with artists/writers.
There have been some good text stories as well - going wheely being a good example.
Plus, if you're lucky and you have been a good boy/girl then you might just get - DOUBLE DREDD!

The only real downside is if there is a particular story you don't like then with it being monthly, you are forced to endure for a longer period.  We've been stuck with American Reaper all this year and will only be free of it next month  :thumbsup: only to be told it will return next year  :thumbsdown:

Mark Taylor

Simon Beigh

Absolutely - I enjoy it's variety the most. I really like the artist profiles, because I'm interested in how the art is produced and how different artists approach it. I like the longer story formats. I like the prose fiction pieces. I like the re-print section. I bought the Meg a couple of months before I came back to the Prog.

And - oh dear - I quite liked American Reaper <assumes defensive huddle and awaits kicking> :lol:

Mardroid

Quote from: SimeonB on 18 June, 2013, 02:57:41 PM
And - oh dear - I quite liked American Reaper <assumes defensive huddle and awaits kicking> :lol:

While I found the (in my opinion) over-use of splash panels taking up a lot of space in the past, I quite like it too. I particularly like the extra little tales covering back-stories that have occurred in the last couple of Megs.

Buttonman

Quote from: TordelBack on 18 June, 2013, 12:21:42 PM
It's better value when page after page isn't taken up with Watson & Proudfoot's covert billets doux.  Get wise Tharg, you're an enabler!

Excuse me but unlike Shamehuff I am a couragous critic who says it like it is. I mean I once unleashed the brickbat 'fabulous' all over American Reaper. Harsh but fair, I felt.

DrJomster

I'm getting the Meg via the digital subscription and am one happy reader.  Particularly good of late actually. The "extra space to breathe" mentioned above can really work. Go on, give it a go! :thumbsup:

Ps. I'm actually quite liking American Reaper II, so there!
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

stacey

I love the Meg I do. I like the Interrogations especially (and I also really like American Reaper - though I do think it has flaws). There has been some fabulous creator owned series recently too. I've been reading the meg longer than the prog so may be a bit biased but it was my way into 2000ad and so is a bit spesh, like me yah nah! :-D

Toni Scandella

The Meg is £1.99 on clickwheel. That includes the supplement. And it's DRM free and you can have both a cbz AND a pdf without having to buy the two formats separately.  It's a bit more expensive in the online shop, and more expensive again by the sound of things from the Apple App, or slightly dearer again to get a paper copy. - but I'd say it is absolutely worth it.

Richard

QuoteI particularly like the extra little tales covering back-stories that have occurred in the last couple of Megs.
Me too. It feels like two strips actually, rather than 20 pages of the same thing.

ChickenStu

Not lately. Although what it's got lined up for September looks pretty exciting! A story which is a direct sequel to the Dredd movie, with the artwork designed to replicate the movie's look and feel. So I'm basically just persevering with it until then.

That strip really had better not disappoint.
Ma Ma's not the law... (you know the rest)