Main Menu

Hardback 2000ad's

Started by Eme, 11 July, 2013, 10:01:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recrewt

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 12 July, 2013, 10:12:13 AM
Quote from: Max Headroom on 11 July, 2013, 11:34:31 PMOne day, and this is purely from a personal point of view, I would like to see hardcover, deluxe editions of the Dredd Case Files; perhaps incorporating three or so of the current paperbacks [...] and would pay top dollar for them as well!
I shudder to think how much a 1000-page deluxe Dredd hardback would cost, and how unwieldy it would be. Even the giant Sandman books that RRP for 75 quid are 600 pages. You'd be talking, what, at least 200 quid per volume?

Yeah, too much isn't it.  I like a nice hardback but I think Rebellion went the right way with the case files - paperbacks and not too big.  Any more would just be uncomfortable to try and read.

IndigoPrime

I think, on the whole, Rebellion's trades strategy has been a sweet-spot mix of very commercially savvy and also being very conscious of the fans, especially once it was free from the DC deal. Recent stories have been collected in high-quality editions. Old stories have had complete runs in affordable volumes. There's been the odd mis-step and some double-dipping along the way, but even in the latter case, the results have been broadly beneficial, enabling more people access.

Looking at my shelves now, I see lots of Dredd books, but also two Ace Trucking volumes. We get Nikolai Dante but also Leviathan. Sláine, Strontium Dog, and Judge Anderson all move towards series completion. Given the scattershot nature of 2000 AD trades before this time—even in the fairly prolific Titan days—the current situation is pretty wonderful for a 2000 AD fan.

SuperSurfer

I would like to see artist's editions à la IDW's:
"While appearing to be in black and white, each page was scanned in color to mimic as closely as possible the experience of viewing the actual original art—for instance, corrections, blue pencils, paste-overs, all the little nuances that make original art unique. Each page is printed the same size as drawn, and the paper selected is as close as possible to the original art board."

There are a multitude of reasons why this would never happen of course.

Max Headroom

"I shudder to think how much a 1000-page deluxe Dredd hardback would cost, and how unwieldy it would be. Even the giant Sandman books that RRP for 75 quid are 600 pages. You'd be talking, what, at least 200 quid per volume?"

Wow! I really didn't think it would be that much - I bought 'The Invisibles Omnibus' which has over 1,500 pages for about seventy pounds (including postage) from Forbidden Planet mail order and was thinking along those lines. However, if I was a very wealthy man, I'd still probably pay way over the odds for a cool Dredd edition. That's just me, though...

Molch-R

Quote from: Max Headroom on 12 July, 2013, 12:23:38 PM
Wow! I really didn't think it would be that much - I bought 'The Invisibles Omnibus' which has over 1,500 pages for about seventy pounds (including postage) from Forbidden Planet mail order and was thinking along those lines.

The print run on a title like that would be far, far, far in excess of the kind of print run you'd get on a 2000 AD title, so the figures just aren't applicable and would not stack up on such a thing.

Apestrife

Would be cool if some DREDD epics where collected in HC. Bigger ones like Tour of duty and Day of chaos or old classics collected as:

Robot wars, Cursed Earth and Day the law died
Judge Child Quest, Destiny's Angels and City of the Damned
Black Atlantic, Bloc Mania, Apocalypse war and Meca City
Unamerican graffiti, The Midnight Surfer, Oz, Soul On Fire and Song of the Surfer
Letter from a democrat, Revolution, America, Fade the light, Terror, Total War, Cadet and Caught in the Act

radiator

I could be wrong but I think IDW are going to be collecting some of the epics, though I don't know if they will be hardback/paperback or colourised/black & white.

A full colour Block Mania/Apocalypse War hardback would be a thing of beauty.