Main Menu

The Last Of Us

Started by Dodsy, 24 August, 2013, 05:48:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devons Daddy

I am currently on 360 but the reviews for this game have been stunning!
Not a huge hit out here, but all those that have played rave about it.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Professor Bear

Bought the Left Behind dlc on Friday and got around to finishing it this morning and it's a superb add-on to what was already one of the last generation's crowning gaming achievements.  The changes in gameplay mechanics seem tailor-made to frustrate and enrage critics of the main game, as the entire storyline and attendant game experience is tailored towards fleshing out a bit of character backstory while breaking with the full game's travelogue motif in favor of a single-location survival horror experience (it feels like the Mall section of Silent Hill 3, only playable, with decent dialogue, and fun), but for those who prefer to be entertained rather than constantly frustrated it's a daft couple of hours well-spent.
I do not call it lightly that it seems tailor-made to enrage certain quarters of the gaming community, either, as they've responded with depressing predictability to the minor reveal about Ellie [spoiler]being gay[/spoiler], but it's not really a proper weekday without the gaming internet letting itself down yet again.
Should you be interested in the various gameplay changes, minigames and additions, they are (spoiler tags because half the fun is having some of it spring on you):[spoiler] playing a beat-em-up game without visuals (it makes sense in context), some platform puzzles, tricking monsters/pursuing humans into fighting each other as a stealth tactic, smashing car windows with bricks, posing your character For Reasons, and a watergun battle.[/spoiler]
I've probably forgotten things, but that's about the gist of the gameplay stuff apart from some pretty manic chase sequences and a couple of tense stealth takedowns against the clock which seem harder than in the regular game, though that might have been me insisting on playing through on the hardest difficulty (almost no salvage or ammo, and no "listening" mechanics) without using medical kits for some reason that escapes me.
Brilliant, but all too brief.