Main Menu

I really thibk Rebellions legal department might be interested in this!

Started by Matt, 20 January, 2003, 06:13:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh S

So Goth girls all look the same, I've got that part - in a sense I am only complaining about the hair - it is almost exactly like Reds, down to the unusual mirror/metal objects tied with ribbons, which is the only really distinctive element of both characters design. It's these details that distinguish one generic character from another (Supermans quiff for example). If the BloodRayne gal had long black hair, or spikey red hair, they wouldnt look any where near as identical.

The point about character wearing modern/futuristic gear is that if you are designing a character to be set in the '40s your designs might reflect that mebbe?

Of course, if you were just ripping off from other sources that's going to be less of a concern (be that Goth girls or comics).  Now I don't believe for one second that you could successfully call breach of copyright over this - as you say, the Harrison look is just too generic.  But I still reckon odds on are that they have used Red as a template for this character (unless the hair thing is a common Goth fashion statement) and you cant deny that the closeness of the two characters would make it very difficult for
Rebellion to market their own game, which in a sense is infringing a bit on Rebellions freedoms to use their character (their own fault for using something that wasnt that distinctive?).

Not really sure about the point that vampires are less believable than what they wear is - obviously it's more unbelievable - but what relevance does that have to the arguement over whether two vampire characters are visually very similar?  

Of course, theres the possibiltiy that both Harrison and the game are both ripping off the same source for that hairstyle... :)

The only thing I find strange is that the USAgent caused a fuss - was that only because it tried to draw a spurious connection in the advertising (some kind of "I am the Law" tag?)