Main Menu

Prog 1858- Gorehead Unchained

Started by Bolt-01, 09 November, 2013, 10:34:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skullmo

It's a joke. I was joking.

staticgirl

Recrewt's posting of the T-rex image side by side with the cover helped me work out what was wrong with the cover - the anatomy is too much like a human, albeit a really demonic looking one. The top third of the head on the t-rex image is very narrow and doesn't really have a forehead but more of a crest with the eyes on both sides. The eyes are also much smaller. 

Apart from that though, it's a pretty dynamic design and the gaping jaw screams danger. Gorehead is almost bursting off the the comic into my living room. The logo is covered up a bit too much as I nearly missed it on the shelf. Given that 2000ADs are often placed at the back, the darker covers can sometimes be a bit hard to locate and I need the logo or byline to help me out. I'm glad the byline had Gorehead's name on it else I might have walked past. I really liked the colours as they were a bit different.

As far as the contents of the comic goes - I think Brass Sun is perhaps moving a bit slowly (although stunningly imaginatively) but will be brilliant when collected and it is always good to have different stories moving at different paces. I have enjoyed this iteration of Damnation Station more than the first. It felt more space opera less soap opera. It's always good to see the master, John Burns, in the comic and I liked that panel where Brian muttered rebelliously under his breath just like little kids do when told off. I thought that was a good bit of observation and I could almost hear him. Flesh has been pretty funny in part nine and I LOVED that panel where Gorehead flips the corporate shill into his mouth. The 3riller could have been an ongoing series and I really enjoyed the art. Nice to have Jesus Redondo back - I really hope he stays around.

TordelBack

Quote from: staticgirl on 16 November, 2013, 01:46:09 PM...the anatomy is too much like a human, albeit a really demonic looking one.

Langely really needs to stop using photos of himself.   ;)

Anzati

'...human DNA's been found in TT's burgers.'

That made me smirk :)

Recrewt

Another really good Prog. 

Enjoyed the Dredd opener, John Burns art is always fantastic though at times I have felt that his 'vintage' style doesn't always sit well with the futuristic Dredd.  Not this time though - I thought it all came together perfectly.  Brass Sun and Flesh were both enjoyable.  I also enjoyed the 3riller but have to say this has left me confused - they nabbed that guy and brought him back but he's still back there to live his life so this is just one bit of him?   :-\

Damnation Station - in the past I have complained about the art in this but I must say that I am enjoying the story a lot more and I am also finding the artwork a lot easier to follow.  I'm not sure exactly what has changed although I did notice a couple of panels had a plain white background which helped make things clearer.  Great suff.   

For me, the prog is really flying high at the moment.

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Mabs

Another Gorehead cover, albeit less spectacular than Dave Kendall's one. But when my five year old says it's 'awesome' you can't deny its effectiveness, although even he said it looked like a monster than a dinosaur. And I must agree, it is one of Langley's better covers but Gorehead does look more demonic in look than dino-mic. (but maybe he's supposed to look demonic, afterall his 666 stamp if not to signify the spawn of hell, then what else?)

Thrills of the Future: Hooray! Demon arse-kicker-par-excellence, Harry Absalom and his team will be returning in the end of year special (Prog 2014). Very much looking forward to that one.

Judge Dredd: Feral (Part One); one of my favourite artists, John Burns is on board for this new story, and it's scripted by Emma Beeby who did a stellar job on the fairly recent Judge Dredd and Tharg's 3riller stories (alongside Gordon Rennie). This is maybe her first solo effort at writing Dredd and I must say I'm very impressed. It starts off with a young boy play acting as Judge Dredd, until his friends show up. It seems these group of children are fending for themselves in the chaos ravaged streets of a Dehab Zone, their parents and families probably victims to the Chaos Bug. But enter Judge Dredd, having had a report of an alarm going off at a Citi-Def weapons storage, he goes in to investigate.....this was  nice little set up Beeby, with some gorgeous painted art from Burns, I loved his recent work on Sinister Dexter, so it's a pleasure to see him back for this Dredd tale.

Brass Sun: The Diamond Age (Part Nine); we open with a magnificent shot of the Orrery's clockwork solar system. Wren and her companions are on their way to 'Hot Air', one of the major players in the war. Culbard's superb splash page potrays how Hot Air looked in the days gone by, with air ships flying in their hundreds. It's a sepia toned image and recalls the news footages from World War 1. But as war broke out we see in the following page the world under attack, and finally on the last page overleaf; a desolate and dangerous place, sort of like a monolithic desolate structure stretching out from the depths of an emerald hued hell. It is such a magnificent display of change through time. Edginton's script is also great, with one moment in particular making me laugh. Looking forward to the next instalment.

Flesh: Badlanders (Part Nine); Gorehead unleashed! (or unchained as the cover says). A really fun (and funny) episode this as Gorehead goes on an eating frenzy. And boy does he take his time with those corporate and greedy types, the bottom panel on the fifth page was simply outstanding!

Tharg's 3rillers: Rewind (Part Three); we finally get an explanation as to why that poor bugger has a bloody hole the shape of a rugby ball in his chest, and yet is still standing upright and talking. Hmm. I don't know what to make of it to be honest, it sounds like a pretty barmy idea, but there are things which still do not add up. Nonetheless, it was an enjoyable 3riller, not to mention seeing the resurrection (or return) of Jesus (Redondo) was a miracle in itself! I hope Tharg gives him more work in the future. It's been a pleasure being in the company of Mr. Redondo these past few weeks.

Damnation Station: The Howling Beast on the Borderline (Part One); wow, where does Al Ewing come up with these titles?! This episode does indeed feel like a howling beast on the borderline (of insanity) as there's so many things going on, and the layout at first felt really distractive. I've enjoyed this strip thus far, but not as much as I hoped. There were some interesting moments or chapters interspersed with some rather un-interesting ones. However, one thing which has been constantly brilliant is Mark Harrison's artwork.

So a very good prog overall, with Dredd, Brass Sun and Flesh being the standouts.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

TordelBack

Quote from: Mabs on 19 November, 2013, 02:27:08 PMwow, where does Al Ewing come up with these titles?!

You're an idiot, babe.  It's a wonder that you still know how to breathe,

http://rock.rapgenius.com/Bob-dylan-idiot-wind-lyrics#lyric

See what we lose when we abandon a classical education?  :geek:

Dandontdare

Quote from: TordelBack on 19 November, 2013, 04:30:07 PM
Quote from: Mabs on 19 November, 2013, 02:27:08 PMwow, where does Al Ewing come up with these titles?!

that's just proved that an oft-repeated Dylan story is bullshit - I've been telling people for years that Idiot Wind was written about Sara Dylan, and can be compared to his previous song "Sara" to see just how much his opinion of her had changed, but on that website Dylan shoots down that story.

Mabs

Quote from: TordelBack on 19 November, 2013, 04:30:07 PM

Thank grud! For a moment there I thought you were referring to me!  :lol:
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

DrJomster

Playing catch up!

Nice to see a range of favourites among you lot!

Love those big panels in Brass Sun. Gorgeous! Great art in every single thrill this prog actually! Please can Mr Redondo do more? Ta.

Pleased at the Dredd script first and liking Damnation Station's recent reveal.

Also - some strong dino action shots this week in Flesh!

Good work team!
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.