Main Menu

"Starlight" - Mark Millar

Started by Alski, 15 March, 2014, 01:28:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

When Jean Rhys, Tom Stoppard or Philip Pullman extend characters' stories beyond the works in which they first appeared, that's art. Millar appears to be completely upfront about what he's doing and which characters he's referencing; even the idea of imagining what it would be like if pulp heroes existed in the real world is a more affectionate version of the grimness and grit of eighties comics.

Richmond's right that there's nothing astonishingly original about what Millar is up to; they're ideas that come up in post-pub conversation all the time. What is unique and valuable about Millar is that he has the determination and the clout to get those ideas into print, and to make them interesting and entertaining to a wider audience than his pissed-up buddies. I like Millar's idea for a Die Hard 1.5, where the same shit didn't happen to the same guy twice, and I'm sure Bruce Willis's agent would too.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Alski on 16 March, 2014, 12:59:21 AM
Quote from: Richmond Clements on 15 March, 2014, 06:05:16 PM
Quote from: Alski on 15 March, 2014, 06:02:41 PM
Quote from: Richmond Clements on 15 March, 2014, 01:39:40 PM
Quotebut he can sure come up with 'borrow' some good ideas.

FTFY

Is this one not his own stuff then?

You said yourself it is very Flash Gordon, and also seems to have more than a drop of Buck Rogers in there too.
I'm sure it is very competently written, but one can never accuse Millar of being original.

This is quite pathetic. It's an interesting take on an old idea, not a steal or a swipe, narratively.

i find creator envy of Millar quite sad.

I find ad hominem replies to a reasonable point to be sad.
It's quite pathetic to accuse someone of jealousy when they express an opinion different to your own, don't you think?

I wonder if the fantastic Colin Smith is displaying creator envy when he writes about Millar? http://sequart.org/magazine/19425/shameless-the-super-hero-comics-of-mark-millar-an-introduction/

But never mind - thanks for reminding me why I hardly ever post here anymore.

Professor Bear

Oh I don't know, I liked how his rebuttal bypassed counterpoints and went straight to personal insults.  Most people on the board are so rational that occasionally I miss outright bitterness.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Professor Bear on 16 March, 2014, 03:21:59 PM
Oh I don't know, I liked how his rebuttal bypassed counterpoints and went straight to personal insults.  Most people on the board are so rational that occasionally I miss outright bitterness.

Fuck you!
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Professor Bear

Jim_Campbell

Professor Bear

Jim_Campbell

Leigh S

That link makes interesting reading... been ploughing through the pages specific to 2000AD - (page 16 or so onwards) - I think one point the critic doesnt really dwell on is that perhaps Millar is just showing a contempt for his audience?  He doesnt like 2000AD, thinks the style is old fashioned, stereotypical and overly macho and is "giving them what they want" while getting his kicks out of being wilfully as poor/crass as the material/audience deserves...?  Although not yet got to the end!

Frank

Quote from: Leigh S on 16 March, 2014, 10:53:27 PM
perhaps Millar is just showing a contempt for his audience?  He doesnt like 2000AD, thinks the style is old fashioned, stereotypical and overly macho and is "giving them what they want" while getting his kicks out of being wilfully as poor/crass as the material/audience deserves...?

Aye, that's what Millar and Morrison imagined they were up to. Their Summer Offensive material was written using the same parodic tone as Viz strips which took the piss out of jingoistic war stories or formulaic DC Thomson kids' humour strips.

Alski

Quote from: Leigh S on 16 March, 2014, 10:53:27 PM
That link makes interesting reading... been ploughing through the pages specific to 2000AD - (page 16 or so onwards) - I think one point the critic doesnt really dwell on is that perhaps Millar is just showing a contempt for his audience?  He doesnt like 2000AD, thinks the style is old fashioned, stereotypical and overly macho and is "giving them what they want" while getting his kicks out of being wilfully as poor/crass as the material/audience deserves...?  Although not yet got to the end!

His stuff is certainly over macho at times, but I loved The Ultimates, which was very guilty of this.

I suppose it's like being a fan of anyone - you don't like to see them rubbished for being popular. I suppose I am a populist, as Millar, Ennis and bendis are my favourite three writers.
"Cool Stuff You Will Like"

Music, Comics, Books, Video Games, TV and Film reviews/articles.

http://cool-stuff-you-will-like.blogspot.co.uk/

Tiplodocus

I quite like the idea of that - sure the Flash Gordon bit isn't original (but it doesn't need to be) but I like the idea of what happens after.  I'm reading a Neil Armstrong biography at the moment - and in this age of people whoring themselves to cling onto the 15 minutes, I quite like the idea of somebody just getting on with their life.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Ancient Otter

Looks like this will be the first Mark Millar book I'll be getting so. When I first heard of it, I thought of Ignition City by Warren Ellis but it sounds to be a very different take on the pulp sci-fi.

Daveycandlish

Finally got to read this and thought it was great. I'm not a big fan of Millar's work but thought this was a well handled spin on things. Nice art too. I'm looking forward to future instalments.
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Link Prime

I had no intention of picking this up, having found Millars other recent offering from Image an overhyped yawn-fest.
I'd also encountered Goran Parlov's artwork before, and didn't really warm to it.

During a recent trip to my LCS it was heartily recommended by the owner.
So, three quid was added to the till and in it went.
Only got round to reading it today, and I've gotta admit- it was a damn impressive comic.
A great script, perfectly matching artwork and a cliffhanger I really want to see resolved.

Yeah, so there ya go- an unexpected pull list addition. It happens.