Main Menu

The Dredd Question...

Started by Jacqusie, 01 March, 2015, 03:34:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZenArcade

But the templating of stookie would still have.....ah fuck it Shark go two pages back. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Frank

Quote from: CAN1F on 04 March, 2015, 09:02:55 PM
Can anyone pin point what led to Dredd all of a sudden start declaring that he is the Law. I know that it case file 22 or 23 but why did he start the nonsense

ZenArcade

CAN1F

Quote from: ZenArcade on 04 March, 2015, 09:18:05 PM
But why do you say that CAN1F, there is a fairly reasoned consensus that it would be considered beyond the pale (Tordel'd be safe enough there). Justice Department are by any present day measure a bunch of fascist pricks; but even they would balk at the practicality and moral repercussions of either live extraction of Adifax or the derivation of a drug thereof. Z

As Dredd is the Law and without Dredd Mega City would fall.

Also the measures that justice department go to to keep law and order have no boundaries

CAN1F

Quote from: Butch on 04 March, 2015, 09:39:23 PM
Can anyone pin point what led to Dredd all of a sudden start declaring that he is the Law. I know that it case file 22 or 23 but why did he start the nonsense

No there is a distinct difference in the way Dredd is, He turns up to a scene declares he is the law takes on 40 guys and dishes out the sentence,  previous he didn't dish out death etc.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: CAN1F on 04 March, 2015, 09:51:10 PM

Also the measures that justice department go to to keep law and order have no boundaries

They gave the citizens free-choice to vote them out and return to democracy:

CAN1F

Did they though?

Wasn't it a screw job?

JOE SOAP

Quote from: CAN1F on 04 March, 2015, 09:57:52 PM
Did they though?

Wasn't it a screw job?

Nope; Dredd cracked down on the bent Judges who tried to stop the vote taking place.

The citizens, in the end, knew were they stood. They had no taste for revolution.

JOE SOAP

ZenArcade

Wot Joe said.

But again consider the entire discussion to be about a real lexiarchy for the want of a better term as opposed to a story. The city state would survive without Dredd, in any ultra controlling corporate entity there is an intrinsic realisation that those whom the entity seeks to control are more inclined to be controlled if there is a figurehead or identifier  (for instance Big Brother, Romulus or Ronald McDonald). Consider Dredd as a totem or motif for what Justice Department proports to represent.
They would of course want to perpetuate Big Brother (Dredd) but not to the extent whereby it leads to the negation of what is the basal raison d'etre of the corporate entity itself. Z

Frank

Quote from: CAN1F on 04 March, 2015, 09:52:51 PM

http://i.imgur.com/psIqLcJ.jpg?1

No there is a distinct difference in the way Dredd is, He turns up to a scene declares he is the law takes on 40 guys and dishes out the sentence,  previous he didn't dish out death etc.

Sorry, CAN1F; the way you worded your question made it sound like you were wondering when Dredd started saying I am the law.

CAN1F

Quote from: Butch on 04 March, 2015, 10:27:34 PM
Quote from: CAN1F on 04 March, 2015, 09:52:51 PM

http://i.imgur.com/psIqLcJ.jpg?1

Sorry, CAN1F; the way you worded your question made it sound like you were wondering when Dredd started saying I am the law.

My fault.

There was a real change in the style and mannerism of Dredd, I will dig it out sometime as I am currently in between houses

Frank

Quote from: CAN1F on 04 March, 2015, 09:57:52 PM
Did they though? Wasn't it a screw job?

It was Garth Ennis, rather than Peter Snow, who first explained to me how elections are won and lost:

ZenArcade

When's your next independence vote up Butch? Z  ;)

Jacqusie

Quote from: ZenArcade on 04 March, 2015, 04:16:25 PM
using drugs in a live fire field test to prep up for a never to happen Sino City war scenario.

I'm glad someone still remembers that! I don't think i've slept well since waiting for that particular plot was thread left dangling...

;)