Main Menu

Dan Dare

Started by broodblik, 03 December, 2020, 06:38:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

Quote from: TordelBack on 04 December, 2020, 12:46:04 PM
I always feel bad saying it, because it's the definition of revisionist miserabilism, but my favourite Dan Dare reboot is Morrison & Hughes, the execution of which the linked article isn't keen on.  For me it somehow manages to place the original strip in a grim post-colonial Thatcherite reality that taints the adventure and undermines all its values, while at the same time allowing Dan & Digby to (ultimately) remain heroes and the Mekon a villain.

Yeah Ioved it. Confession: I was aware of Dan Dare and the basics but don't think I read anything of it before 2000ad (at my age I should have known better but I loved the Space Fort) and Revolver. I did like the Ennis run too (Thanks to his piscine Majesty I think for lendingit to me).
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Tjm86

Quote from: Professor Bear on 04 December, 2020, 01:28:21 PM
At its core, the strip is a period piece and there should be no problems with making new stories in the same way there aren't insurmountable problems in making stories about someone like Hornblower or Perseus.

That is a fair point.  Perhaps that is where recent incarnations have gone wrong.  The period is being looked at through cynical eyes.  Rather than reflecting on what could be seen as positive: the 'white heat of technology', post-Imperial Britain looking to adopt a more appropriate international role, a sense of duty and honour permeating public service ...

I don't know if anyone else has had a chance to look at Spaceship Away but the adaptation there is well worth a look see.  Very much in the original vein.

broodblik

Here is a real alternative take on Dan Dare (art by Charlie Gillespie):

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.