Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - Devlin Waugh vs. Savage Round 2 Heat 25

Started by Colin YNWA, 07 February, 2022, 07:22:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 09 February, 2022, 03:46:07 PM
This thread is full of wrong.

This. I've no idea why it's this vote, in particular, out of all the votes, that I'm finding egregious. Crush on Devlin?

I do have a theory - it's that Megazine stories in general, when up against the prog, will not fare well - simply due to the "I haven't read it" effect.
An angry nineties throwback who needs to get a room ... at a massively lesbian gymkhana.

moly

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

Well, well, well. I'd call this one a big surprise. Which is weird given that these are both big thrills and i really like them both. BUT I did think it would only go one way, and it didn't. That is very possibly my personal biase coming into to play. Funt Solo also raises a good possibility that maybe Meg thrills will struggle against Prog thrills do to lesser exposer, one to watch out for. Either way I'm unreasonaby disappointed to announce that

Savage

is through to Round 3, unreasonably as I'm a massive fan of the strip, I just love Devlin more. Also worth noting this was the busiest vote to date too.

Magnetica

I 'm surprised as well. As much as I not a fan of Devlin, I had gotten the impression, from a number years on this board, that a lot of folks were. And that a lot of folks had fallen out of love with Pat's more recent stuff.

I guess appearances can be deceptive.

IndigoPrime

Bah. I knew this was coming. I quite like Savage, but it's mired in Mills's usual tendency for copy/paste, conspiracy theory, and endlessly dragging things out. Devlin has had some of the most impactful and imaginative writing 2000 AD has seen. I find it depressing that Dull Violent White Stereotype Bloke knocks Devlin out of this competition.

I also find the "demon dildo era" reference earlier a bit of a pity. Kot's Waugh has been superb. That most recent series was a highpoint of the entire Meg's history—completely bonkers, hugely imaginative, notably different, really smartly plotted, expertly drawn, and with excellent characterisation. Reducing it all down to "oh no, a dildo" (and this is a sentiment I've seen several times on this board) seems a bit odd to me, but there you go.

Anyway, again: this thread is full of wrong. We was robbed. #TeamDevlin. Etc.

Link Prime

Colin YNWA

Yeah this is the blessing and the curse of the format. We will get some really compelling discussion and interesting decisions early doors. But alas that will always be at a cost and in this case that cost is high... well in the context at least.

Oh and everything IndigoPrime says... well except predicting it and a little extra Savage love.

#TeamDevlin

Magnetica

I think Savage is the best thing Pat has done in ten years. It seems to suffer much less than say ABC Warriors and Slaine from lack of momentum. And it was actually getting really interesting with the (ironically) the introduction of Ro-Busters / early ABC Warrior style war droids.

AlexF

I confess I couldn't really choose and ended up voting for Savage partly because I was convinced Devlin would walk it and wanted to give Mills some love after Finn fell. A sad loss!
But still, Savage IS a great bit of 2000AD, hard to overstate how exciting it felt reading a story about Britian being invaded right as we were ourselves invading Iraq, quite the exercise in wearing someone else's shoes.

By coincidence I also saw the film Red Dawn for the first time in that period too, and came away finding it to be another great storytelling example of empathy for anyone being invaded. When apparently it's usually taken as a massively anti-communist US right-wing dream of a story. Context is everything, huh!

Magnetica

Quote from: AlexF on 10 February, 2022, 10:26:56 AM
I confess I couldn't really choose and ended up voting for Savage partly because I was convinced Devlin would walk it and wanted to give Mills some love after Finn fell. A sad loss!

That just shows...always vote for the outcome you want...not as a sympathy or protest vote. I could mentioned that a number of people voted in you-know-what as a protest never thinking that side would win and oops...but I won't as this isn't the political thread and I've vowed to never post in that.

Blue Cactus

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 10 February, 2022, 09:17:16 AM
Bah. I knew this was coming. I quite like Savage, but it's mired in Mills's usual tendency for copy/paste, conspiracy theory, and endlessly dragging things out. Devlin has had some of the most impactful and imaginative writing 2000 AD has seen. I find it depressing that Dull Violent White Stereotype Bloke knocks Devlin out of this competition.

I also find the "demon dildo era" reference earlier a bit of a pity. Kot's Waugh has been superb. That most recent series was a highpoint of the entire Meg's history—completely bonkers, hugely imaginative, notably different, really smartly plotted, expertly drawn, and with excellent characterisation. Reducing it all down to "oh no, a dildo" (and this is a sentiment I've seen several times on this board) seems a bit odd to me, but there you go.

Anyway, again: this thread is full of wrong. We was robbed. #TeamDevlin. Etc.

Great summation of the Kot / Dowling Waugh.