Main Menu

Periodic format change

Started by WoD, 29 April, 2003, 05:02:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoD

I'm ready to be slated for this, but...

How about a change in format on a (roughly) 4 monthly basis so that one prog is dedicated to one character / story for one issue.  I know this has been done in the past for a few of the main characters, but it would give the opportunity to 'flesh out' some of the 'minor' characters, their supporting cast, allow background story threads to be set up for future progs, etc.  I'm not necessarily looking for a 'big' story to take place, just an opportunity for the characters to breath.

So, how about a Sin-Dex prog then??

WoD

Tu-plang

SinDex has already been done.  And it was great.

but then again SinDex was at a fairly good stagge then.  It's not now.

how about Caballistics?  If ever there were characters that needed fleshing out...

Oddboy

I think that would be disruptive to the flow of the other stories.
Better set your phaser to stun.

Tu-plang

Perhaps slot them in between these "assualts" and "attacks" then?  That would work well.

WoD

I agree with OB, and I was thinking the same as Tu-plang that they could be fitted in so as not to disrupt ongoing stories.

Can't remember the Sin-Dex one-off.  What was the story?

Oddboy

Well they already kinda do that, having double length intros & exits every season...

Personally, I'm not keen - I prefer the regular 5-6 pages per story with 5 tales per prog.  Changing that disrupts the flow - the prog feels 'thinner' in those weeks - more-so when they only contain one story.
I'm okay with the occasional 1prog story - to mark very special occasions (either for the comic, such as Prog 900, or for the characters (SinDex one, Dredd 2120).

paulvonscott

To be honest, if it was an issue based around a story I didn't like, I'd be really pissed off.  For instance, any attempt to foist a sin dex, bek and kawl, atavar, bison or any other story I begrudge appearing as one episode in a prog, taking up the whole prog I would probably be extremly ****** off.  The only character I'd accept is Judge Dredd and even then, it had better be good.  

And that's the problem, it would just piss people off.  People who buy 2000AD every week or subscribe being obliged to recieve a rather noxious prog.  A better way would be specials that existed outside of the prog or megazine.  I could quite happily leave a sin dex special on the shelf at smiths, or buy a caballistics or ABC warriors special.

As it is, I'm not sure I like the quartely division of the prog, I'd much rather something was starting, something half way through and something ending all the time.  That way there would always be something new pretty much about to start. But, I'm not too fussed about that.

Oddboy

Can't remember the Sin-Dex one-off. What was the story?

The penultimate (IIRC) episode of 'Eurotrash' - Demi's "shotgun" wedding.

The Monarch

if bison got a full prog to itself then goodbye friends it was nice knowing you

Trout

I'm with Paul and David.

It's a good idea in principle, for the reasons you've given, but - crucially - it removes 2000AD's anthology ethos.
If you don't like a story, you don't like the entire comic.
The idea of a SinDex prog fills me with horror, for example.

I also have a sentimental attachment to the anthology thing, as almost the last remaining evidence of a British comics industry.

However, I usually enjoy the double-sized episodes within a prog.

- Trout

Tu-plang

I doubt Bison'll ever get a MENTION in a prog ever again, letalone a whole prog devoted to this sterling example of creativity.

I missed the Dredd one and the Rogue one but Sinister Dexter: Eurocrash 12 was bloody fantastic.  That second-to-last page is one of those things that just sticks in my mind.  Fantastic art, tone, utterly speechless.  It was just what Sinister Dexter needed to bring it to a healthy conclusion, anyhting after that would have been (and was) completely cold.

If one-story progs could be done like this all the time than it would be a perfect world.

http://www.2000adonline.com/covers/2000ad/hires/1138.jpg">

paulvonscott

I don't minf the odd double episode.  When TWO double episodes appear, that's pushing it a bit, increasing the chances for me (and I assume other people) for dissatifiaction.  The good thing about an anthology is you can afford to have a couple fo stories you aren't keen on as long as you have a couple you like, two doublers is really monkeying around with those odds!

DavidXBrunt

Maybe a Dredd tale and a four part story in one prog? Classics only? Stronty, the A.B.C.'s? Mind you, I'd like Cabalistics too.