Main Menu

New Doctor Who series

Started by rogue69, 11 May, 2024, 08:01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

Yep. More clunky enforced rubbish from RTD. Reminds me of him thinking dropping 'Bad Wolf' into every episode made for a mystery and an arc. No, not really. (Mind you, I'm also bored of the 'make a female companion a puzzle to solve' trope that Moffat was so fond of.)

The Legendary Shark

Gawd, that was interminable.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

Welp, that was most assuredly Moffat Who, for all the good and bad that entails.

nxylas

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 18 May, 2024, 09:34:09 PMGood grief. That was like a totally different show tonight. Fortunately, it was a much better one. But the tonal whiplash is quite something. Back to RTD next week, though, and so I'll set my expectations accordingly. Nicely done by Moffat this week though.
Looks like they're going for a Hinchcliffian folk horror vibe next week. Hooray for tonal whiplash, I was worried that the whole series was going to be like the first two, and the two episodes before that.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

Doomlord66

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 19 May, 2024, 07:38:25 AMGawd, that was interminable.

Seconded and did we need have to have the Doctor mention a lesbian gymkhana?  Again bringing in gay references where it's unnecessary.

Also is it me or did the containment device look very similar to shall we say, a marital aid, just without the helmet end?

Leigh S

Great idea, some nice dialogue, but overall a convoluted mess

Take somethign simple and make it really really complex - the landmine itself is complicated - it has all these bells and whistles that we need to keep explaining.

That carries over to every otehr aspect.  The coropration wont keep a soldiere alive for 4 weeks to recuperate, but will allow their child to be supported indefinitely. 

The emotional beats just seem really weird - the child doent seem to understand anything that is going on, but everyone else is acting odd too.

Ruby wanders into what is clearly a warzone without any kind of trepidation - Ruby is also happy to take a moment to grin at the view while the Doctor is STANDING ON A MINE!

I'm going to shout and shoot the man standing on a mine which will explode and potentially take me out because he is holding a tube.  No one seems to quite understand the situation or any consequences, they just do the thing that moves the plot along to the next beat.

It was all very odd.

Funt Solo

Quote from: Doomlord66 on 19 May, 2024, 01:09:41 PM
Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 19 May, 2024, 07:38:25 AMGawd, that was interminable.

Seconded and did we need have to have the Doctor mention a lesbian gymkhana?  Again bringing in gay references where it's unnecessary.

Also is it me or did the containment device look very similar to shall we say, a marital aid, just without the helmet end?

Bringing in dildo references where it's unnecessary.  :D
An angry nineties throwback who needs to get a room ... at a lesbian gymkhana.

Daveycandlish

An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Doomlord66 on 19 May, 2024, 01:09:41 PMAlso is it me or did the containment device look very similar to shall we say, a marital aid, just without the helmet end?

So...tell me about your childhood...

rogue69

Also why are all soldiers in Doctor Who Now either Priests or a religious sect

nxylas

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 19 May, 2024, 07:09:37 PM
Quote from: Doomlord66 on 19 May, 2024, 01:09:41 PMAlso is it me or did the containment device look very similar to shall we say, a marital aid, just without the helmet end?

So...tell me about your childhood...
I totally heard that in the voice of the psychiatrist from Hyperactive.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

Doomlord66

Funt Solo

Quote from: rogue69 on 19 May, 2024, 09:23:16 PMAlso why are all soldiers in Doctor Who Now either Priests or a religious sect

Someone's been imbibing Warhammer 40K lore, mayhap?
An angry nineties throwback who needs to get a room ... at a lesbian gymkhana.

Tjm86

Quote from: Daveycandlish on 19 May, 2024, 06:58:59 PM
Quote from: Doomlord66 on 19 May, 2024, 01:09:41 PMAlso is it me ...?

It's you.

Yep, definitely.  No one else at all, just you ....

(What are we talking about?)