Main Menu

how about the option to edit posts???

Started by stront692, 17 March, 2004, 06:50:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stront692

this would in effect lead to a large number of permanent threads that would just be jumped to the top, arather than teh curent transient nature of message board threads

meaning that u could have a thread for skizz etc, people would have to keep going back to it

JTurner

Can't see this working. People could edit their comments after someone had replied. Unless they specified exactly what they had edited, whole threads would stop making sense (and things are pretty fucked up around here to begin with).

The Amstor Computer

My main problem with being able to edit posts is that, along with being able to tweak grammar or spelling mistakes, it also opens up the possibility of substantially changing what you originally said. While I don't think this function would be widely misused here, it only takes a few people altering what they've said to make others uncomfortable about entering into discussions - or arguments - with other boarders.

If your concern is simply finding a way to keep old threads alive, I don't think that this is the way to do it. Old discussions tend to die a natural death anyway, and you're unlikely to rejuvenate them just by bouncing them to the top.

Why not start a NEW discussion about Skizz? Bring something new to the table - perhaps tell us about when you first read it, or what you think of it's obvious links to ET. If you have an interesting topic, people WILL respond to it.

stront692

i know what u mean its just that i want to ask a whole load of questions about a few older topics and the vast majority of people werent really reading then

its rebellions responsiblity to keep teh stuff in print and generally available and so shows an untapped market there waiting to be exploited, if we changed teh website to this way it would take a while but it would mean that eventually only one skizz thread, one this thread, one that thread

i thought about the changing what u posted but it also means that only means that the people that were interested in the topic would see teh changes, also anyone that didnt want to see it wouldnt (so u wouldnt get a raft of negative replies)

thats teh main inspiration for this??

Wake

There's nothing to stop old threads being added to. I do it all the time. Use the search function to look for a thread on the right topic and bounce it to the top.

If I could do the coding without spending any time doing the coding, people would be allowed to edit posts - but only if no futher posts had been made to the same thread.

Where I have deleted threads or partial threads everything following the target message has been removed as well as the message itself.

Wake

ukdane

I don't think editing a post is a good idea (I might at one time). BUT, what might be a good idea, is being able to change the SUBJECT so that the subject indicated on the message board is the most recent.

That way, if someone posts a message about (for example) The fact that Judge Rico is gonna go loopy and kill grannies in Rowdy Yates, 'cause they read about it in next weeks prog.... but htey forgot to put SPOILER, and least the next person that comes along could correct it.

The only Subjects that shouldn't be editable are SPOILERS and ADMINISTRATION.
Cheers

-Daney

stront692

i think only editable by the original poster is the only way to go here

or we couldb get into lotsa trouble??

only headers is good and if u edit them - they should jump back up to top maybe